Taps And Beer Line

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hrforever

Reaction score
Ok, this is my first post so please be gentle.

I've been bottling for twelve months but have now purchased three post mix kegs and a regulator over the past couple of months and am getting ready first my first kegging experience, but I am yet to buy the beer line or tap.

I have two questions. Firstly, for fridge door mounting are there any taps I should stay away from. Secondly, I've read this forum for a couple of weeks and talked to a few people about beer line size and am now more confused than every about line lengths of either 4,5 or 6mm size. I've seen a 900mm length of 6mm line and 3.5m of 5mm line each in a fridge with door mount tap and each works fine. What size is a happy medium and is there any trick to getting it right first time. Also does line quality play any part in a good pour.

I'd like to get this right the first time to save any undue pain of wasted beer.

ross does a complete micromatic fridge tap kit that goes through up to 85mm(i think) thickness doors.$75
grab urself about 4metres of 6mm beer line.
hook it all up and set ur reg to 100kpa
7-10 days later pour a beer if it pours to slow shorten ur beer line :D

My advice is to stay away from this EK type:
Ek-copy_small.gif

They aren't that great. Unless you really want one like that, you're better off with the standard brumby type.

Also don't get a 3/8 BSP type thread because you will have to buy a S-nozzle type adaptor as well and it will cost you extra $.

There nothing wrong with these taps,cheap way to set up your fridge.
Later you may like to go flasher taps.I have ordered form these guys plenty of times,you will get your taps within a week and postage is very reasonable as well.

http://www.brewersdiscount.com/item5061.ctlg

Batz

That's a good link Batz. Prices very good. I still think the EK taps suck though!

The look of the Celli or micromatic taps would suit my needs as I'm more interested in buying once only. I'm still confused about line length. Kingy suggest 4.0m of 6mm line, so how is it that Brewcraft in Oakleigh can get 6mm to work with only 900mm. Does it come down to pouring pressure, line resistance or tap?

You have to take all those things into account. I have just under 4m of line with an id of 5mm and have my reg set at just under 1bar.
Everyone has a different setup, so you will have to work out what is best for your setup.
Hope that helps :)

That's a good link Batz. Prices very good. I still think the EK taps suck though!

I used these taps for ages blackbock,and where more that happy with the results,since I have changed to Shirron Forward Sealing Taps from Ross.
These are nice taps but really it's only the forward sealing (they don't stick) that sets them apart,depends on your wallet I suppose.

Batz

I used these taps for ages blackbock,and where more that happy with the results,since I have changed to Shirron Forward Sealing Taps from Ross.
These are nice taps but really it's only the forward sealing (they don't stick) that sets them apart,depends on your wallet I suppose.

Batz

New brewers and young families find it a real battle to move into kegging,brewing takes seconds to buying a house,feeding and educating the kids.I know we all want the best for our home bar but better to have something than nothing.You can always pass down your taps etc. if you update.

Batz

Batz

I have 2 of these taps Batz linked to (not the Shirron) and I have had them for 3+ years and love them, great value for money for a first setup and I don't see any reason to change them, Sure they stick if you haven't had a pour for a week or two but they don't stay stuck. They strip down easily for cleaning too. And you can put more of then side by side in a limited space as well.

Cheers
Andrew

I am a little confused here! The photo Batz linked to shows a Brumby tap, like I suggested. I wasn't saying that you have to spend huge $ to get a good tap, just that the side-swinging type are a bit clunky for my personal liking, and anyway it is possible to buy the other types just as cheaply.

Whatever type you settle on it pays to think ahead, and even if you are struggling to balance a budget, it doesn't make any sense to buy something just because it is the only type the LHBS currently stocks.

food for thought alcodave...

Don't forget to check eBay if you're looking for taps. I got 5 taps (brumby style, but I guess slightly less well built) with shanks, delivered for $150.... (for the matematically challenged, that's AUD$30 each!!!) Worth a look on the US site if you're looking....

Cheers

Nick

My setup is set to 5*C, 2 metres of 5mm line, pressure at 80-85 kpa

Works for me

Have a look at the wiki - there is an excel file with a calculator

There are a million opinions on keg setup

Just play with your system - til it's pouring right - and be conservative with the pressures - you are better off pouring a little flat than all head

Cheers

I've read the reply's and looked at the options and will check out Ross's taps more closely. The micro matic looks good for the price but the Shirron looks the goods. As for line length, I'll play with the 5mm line to get things going smoothly.

Thanks for the assistance.

hey guys,
i have been lurking for a while now and was wondering if anyone can help (sorry to hijack!! but i really really need some advice) i am only realativly new to hb and am looking at moving to kegs very soon. i am just trying to find the right font to suit my bar. if at all possible i want to use the cobra font and have found some well priced ones but they are all from the uk or us. i need to know if we can use these here and if we can use our taps on them? if so can i expect problems? i have emailed several companies regarding this and have had no reply's. any help would be much appreciated .
cheers
:unsure:

Definitely have a look at the quick disconnect fittings (John Guest) they are awesome - you won't regret it - it may cost a few dollars more but definitely worth it

Cheers

I've read the reply's and looked at the options and will check out Ross's taps more closely. The micro matic looks good for the price but the Shirron looks the goods. As for line length, I'll play with the 5mm line to get things going smoothly.

Thanks for the assistance.

hey guys,
i have been lurking for a while now and was wondering if anyone can help (sorry to hijack!! but i really really need some advice) i am only realativly new to hb and am looking at moving to kegs very soon. i am just trying to find the right font to suit my bar. if at all possible i want to use the cobra font and have found some well priced ones but they are all from the uk or us. i need to know if we can use these here and if we can use our taps on them? if so can i expect problems? i have emailed several companies regarding this and have had no reply's. any help would be much appreciated .
cheers
:unsure:

Reaper, some of the european fonts don't marry with Aussie taps, so be careful - If you buy the taps from the UK as well, then you'll be sorted. Freight from UK is a real killer, so make sure you take that into account before ordering. US fonts use same fittings as here, so no problem.

cheers Ross

Reaper, some of the european fonts don't marry with Aussie taps, so be careful - If you buy the taps from the UK as well, then you'll be sorted. Freight from UK is a real killer, so make sure you take that into account before ordering. US fonts use same fittings as here, so no problem.

cheers Ross
thanks heaps ross much appreciated, i have taken shipping into account, and yeah it is a killer but still save a small fortune in big picture. how do i know if i will able to marry our taps with this font? is there a particular fitting to look for? also if i buy a font and tap set complete from the uk can i expect dramas when it comes time to replace springs, washers etc when servicing the taps? i was concerned that the beer lines may not marry to the taps. i have not had the opp to view a good font in person so i am unsure of the connections and fittings and what to look for. i have found one here in aus but they want almost three times the money for the same item but with the brumby taps ( which i am not a huge fan of) the other one i have my eye on is the taipan system fron andale but i'd still prefer the cobra.
see i built a nice bar with a snake enclosure in it and the cobra font will really set it off!!
cheers

Latest posts

Back