Tap Spacing

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goofinder

Wild Elephant Brewery
Reaction score
I'm in the process of building a collar for my chest freezer and just wondering how far apart to space the taps?

I've got a 215L chest freezer that takes 4 + 1 and CO2 on the hump so I'm aiming to have 4 taps eventually. I've only got one so far which makes it a bit difficult to visualise where they'll fit. Has anyone got a 4 tap font they can measure for me?

Also, I want to be able to pick up a drip tray to fit under them without too much trouble - do they come in standard sizes?

My 4 tap font has the taps spaced at about 115-120mm centres

Cheers, that would put it at about 36cm wide all up and I reckon I should be able to find a drip tray to fit that.

mate its ashame I dont have pics of my constrution set up for you.

this is what i suggest.

find the middle of your collar. from that middle point measure equal distances out from that point. mark then place a couple taps on the marks. If you like it drill it. if not have another measure. Crap corry just seen you have one taps. find something thats about the same width and you'll get an idea.

my gaps are about a tap width apart (ie I can fit another tap between the 2 taps plus a little space). So I guess they are about 15cm apart (hole to hole).
then again I have 6 taps.

It comes down to personal preference. basicly you want to be able to fit your hand around the tap and not squish your knuckles against another tap.

Drip Trays
come in all shapes sizes. you;ll be able to find a drip tray (or a few) to match your width but its worth considering that. have a look on ebay or some commercial sellers to see what sizes are available. Ive decided not to go the drip tray as I think its overrated. esp with a chest freezer as the tray will be so low it makes it kinds of wanky. plus they are designed to hold multiple beers. how often are you going to be pouring multiple beers that you need to put on a drip tray?... Id say not that often. I suggest you spend your $ elsewhere...like on more taps!

find the middle of your collar. from that middle point measure equal distances out from that point. mark then place a couple taps on the marks. If you like it drill it. if not have another measure. Crap corry just seen you have one taps. find something thats about the same width and you'll get an idea.

+1

You can also use some masking tape and a texta to visualise how it shall look.

I plan on using tape on my fridge to initially position/visualise the holes. And I am starting with 1 tap with plans in future to go with 2 taps - hence initially it will be off centre!

A bonus using a collar is you can alsways replace that part of the collar if it all goes pear shaped. Bit of wastedd timber and effort though...

I've just traced around the black plastic bit on the tap and cut out a few circles of paper to help visualise it. It's looking like about 120mm at the moment since that spacing looks 'right' with the screws I've used to hold it together.

If you know you are definitely expanding, why not set and drill them all. Might be able to find some rubber/plastic bung, stopper or something like that to put into the hole and then push it out when you have each tap. May not look as weird as having 1 tap off centre.

If you know you are definitely expanding, why not set and drill them all. Might be able to find some rubber/plastic bung, stopper or something like that to put into the hole and then push it out when you have each tap. May not look as weird as having 1 tap off centre.
I was thinking of that the other day as I was in Clark Rubber picking up the strip to site between the collar and freezer. They've got rubber stoppers of all sizes there. Not sure how much it would affect the performance of the freezer though.

I was thinking of that the other day as I was in Clark Rubber picking up the strip to site between the collar and freezer. They've got rubber stoppers of all sizes there. Not sure how much it would affect the performance of the freezer though.

You could always tape a piece of foam on the inside to cover the hole in the meantime. That is what I am planning to do.

Great point cdbrown!

You could always tape a piece of foam on the inside to cover the hole in the meantime. That is what I am planning to do.

Great point cdbrown!
Actually, I reckon I might just drill part of the way through. That way there will be something there so it doesn't look lopsided and I'll be able to easily drill the rest of the holes as needed.

its not that hard to dril the holes after. but a bing will be fine. not much cooling loss at all providing its rubber.

when you get the rubber for between the collar and freezer the'll probably try and sell you some thin neoprene (like 1mm thick). it makes a good seal but only if flush with collar. your better off getting some 3mm thick rubber thats a bit squishy as a bottom seal (bough from Clark Rubber - $5pm). that was if the wood isnt exactly dead flat it will have a little give in it where it needs it and provides a better seal.

155mm works on mine ;)

R__6_.jpg

I doubt it would affect the performance of the freezer at all - it would be better than the tap shank protruding through the collar which acts as a heat sink. As long as the hole is filled so that there isn't a inside/outside air change it'll be all good.

when you get the rubber for between the collar and freezer the'll probably try and sell you some thin neoprene (like 1mm thick). it makes a good seal but only if flush with collar. your better off getting some 3mm thick rubber thats a bit squishy as a bottom seal (bough from Clark Rubber - $5pm). that was if the wood isnt exactly dead flat it will have a little give in it where it needs it and provides a better seal.
I wish I'd known this the other day - I got some 6mm neoprene which doesn't compress enough to give a good seal with my dodgy collar. I'll have to go back and get something more compressible like that rubber.

I wish I'd known this the other day - I got some 6mm neoprene which doesn't compress enough to give a good seal with my dodgy collar. I'll have to go back and get something more compressible like that rubber.
i only know cause i did the same as you. so ive bought 2 lots also. ill finds a use for the neopreme somewhere,

121.92 mm between taps.
Home made drip tray from door shelves on new fridge, this is what dictated the spacing of taps.
Works a treat
icon_cheers.gif

Cheers,
Bud

096.JPG

121.92 mm between taps.
Home made drip tray from door shelves on new fridge, this is what dictated the spacing of taps.
Works a treat
icon_cheers.gif

Cheers,
Bud

Does that say soda water is that to make a shandy,sorry love the taps

Does that say soda water is that to make a shandy,sorry love the taps

Thanks mate.
Soda water is for mixing with different kinds of drinks. No shandy's here so far.
Oh yea, and also because I haven't been able to have 6 different beers on tap at once as of yet.
This is my goal though. :icon_cheers:
Cheers.
Bud

121.92 mm between taps.
Works a treat
icon_cheers.gif

Cheers,
Bud

More brew po*rn! :lol:
There looks to be $700 worth of taps there?
My system should be coming today/tomorrow...

Latest posts

Back