Tap Cleaning After Hydrometer Readings

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phoenix

Reaction score
I was wondering how many people clean their tap after taking their hydrometer readings, and more so, how they go about it? Rinse with a glass of hot water and then spray with no-rinse sanitizer? hmmm, or should the santizer be sprayed before taking the reading (just to be sure nothing creeps in - although gravity and pressure should avoid that) and just before bottling?

What do you do people?

Thanks. :)

Yeah I just give it a squirt with no-rinse

Just a heavy spray with iodine no rinse before and after.

Also spray around the air lock hole cause i take the airlock out when i take the sample to avoid the water getting sucked into the fermenter....

If you fill the airlock with no-rinse then you don't have to worry about it getting sucked back in ;)

nothing... :eek:

***looks around for some wood***

Eeerrr, I don't take my samples from the tap.

I take an OG reading of my ales as they go into the fermenter.
Then I leave it alone for 2 weeks, or a bit longer until I'm ready to bottle.
My samples are taken from the top, using a sanitised turkey baster. That way the tap is left undisturbed.

Eeerrr, I don't take my samples from the tap.

I take an OG reading of my ales as they go into the fermenter.
Then I leave it alone for 2 weeks, or a bit longer until I'm ready to bottle.
My samples are taken from the top, using a sanitised turkey baster. That way the tap is left undisturbed.

+1 turkey baster or large 100ml syringe.

I just give the inside of the spout a good wipe around with a cotton bud dipped in no rinse.

I do it both before and after using the tap.

Just got a small spray bottle so can now do both methods.

no sanitising here, just a quick spray rinse. I rack my beer top down so i avoid the tap when having to keg it up.

nothing... :eek:

***looks around for some wood***

+1.....

I get my OG sample from the flowing wort as I drain the NC cube, only other time I take a sample is when I am considering kegging it the next day or I take some samples over a few days if I am bottling the brew....

Yeah, I leave mine dirty as well... just give it a spray with Starsan and stick the corner of a tea towel up the spout to wipe it at kegging time.

get a big syringe from the chemist, fill it with water & give it a good squirt. then stick the nozzle of your spray bottle with iodophor or starsan up the tap & spray a few times.

and no need to remove the airlock - just unscrew or loosen the lid a little.

jez

Maybe I go a bit overboard but what I do is tie a small bag of sulphite solution around the tap. This keeps it clean while it's waiting to be bottled. Seems to work for me :)

jeez! I didn't realise that you have to be that precious with sanitising?! How exactly are any nasties going to make their way up the tap?

My main concern is that things would grow in the spout. Then at bottling time my fresh beer would flow past a dirty nozzle. I don't think any nasties could easily find their way through the water tight barrier in a tap into the beer.

Hydrogen peroxide spray (no rinse) Up the nosle of the tap here & all around for good measure

I make up a half Litre batch in the spray bottle so I use it all up

Latest posts

Back