Tap Cleaning After Hydrometer Readings

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Usually nothing. If it looks dirty, a good soak in boiling water.

It is a potential spot for bugs if bottling through the tap and I'm probably going to be looking at it more closely as my processes develop further but I've not had any issues yet from this.

Hydrogen peroxide spray (no rinse) Up the nosle of the tap here & all around for good measure

I make up a half Litre batch in the spray bottle so I use it all up

half a litre up the tap spout is a bit excessive :lol: get yourself some cotton buds 2ml works. ;) then decoke yer ears afterwards. :p

Eeerrr, I don't take my samples from the tap.

I take an OG reading of my ales as they go into the fermenter.
Then I leave it alone for 2 weeks, or a bit longer until I'm ready to bottle.
My samples are taken from the top, using a sanitised turkey baster. That way the tap is left undisturbed.

Spoilage organisms are airbourne. If you're taking your fermenter lid off, sticking your arm in and taking a sample with a collection device, I would think you run a far greater risk of infecting your beer than by using the tap. My 2c....

Oh, and I use the tap and don't usually sanitise for reasons outlined above.

Half a litre up the tap spout is a bit excessive :lol: get yourself some cotton buds 2ml works. ;) then decoke yer ears afterwards.

500ml for the tap sanitary is exsesive but when I take a reading I usually make a yeast starter or Im bottling so not only does the tap get a work out so does the starter gear bench area bottles etc

At 5ml hydrogen peroxide to 500ml of water its no big deal really $50 bucks for 5 Litres Huwa san 1 year on still got over4.5 Litres,

As for the decoke ing the ears no thanks mate Ill leave that one up to you

the rudest one

Thanks for the replies everyone. It seems there is a general consensus to clean (or at least sanitize) the tap after sampling so that it stays in good nick for bottlin' time. So think I'll go with that idea.

Cheers! :beer:

I use starsan before and after. Also I have a small toothbrush used to clean inside the tap outlet.

QldKev

Back