Tallies Needed

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fasty73

Reaction score
Well now that I have 8 fermenters going, I am in need of some more tallies. I have about 50 and I've got 6 cartons of stubbies, but I am still needing more tallies. I have tried drinking the beer faster but it aint working!!! I need to bottle 2 more batches this weekend but only have 2 cartons of stubbies to do it. My math aint real good but I think thats not enough. I am in Mudgeeraba on the Gold Coast.

cant help with any bottles,but on recycling night in your area you could go bin diving and would probably find more than enough. also if you dont find bottles straight away it will do no harm to leave the beer on the yeast a week or 2,infact will probably improve it. oh boy youre gunna hate bottling soon, eight batches close to each other,waaay more dedicated than i could ever be.youll be asking bout kegs in no time :icon_cheers:

Have you tried contacting recylcing places and putting the word out amongst friends and family?

I dream of the day I move to kegs, but I once had the frenzied mania that you have... but now I have a nice gentle rotation of about 250 longnecks moving from full to empty. On top of that I continually source new bottles from both recycling centres and from friends.

Once you have a stockpile and some patience things become much easier.

There has been much said about reusing bottles through the years, but I have some longnecks that I have used and re-used now for 5 years and I treat them with care and respect, don't overbcarbonate, don't submit them to temperature extremes and be careful in summer when a violent low pressure system moves through etc...

Get a stockpile, find your rhythm and it will all be good.

Of course, if I was still working I'd buy a new fridge and run 4 kegs. :rolleyes: ...or maybe 6 if I was still full time hee hee. Students have nothing better to do than bottle beer though so its all good.

cant help with any bottles,but on recycling night in your area you could go bin diving and would probably find more than enough. also if you dont find bottles straight away it will do no harm to leave the beer on the yeast a week or 2,infact will probably improve it. oh boy youre gunna hate bottling soon, eight batches close to each other,waaay more dedicated than i could ever be.youll be asking bout kegs in no time :icon_cheers:
Nah, I am starting to cycle the batches so I do one every couple of days, I have already thought about kegs but I do like my bottles. It only took me 45 minutes to bottle and cap a batch last night. I AM sick of stubbies though, tallies are so much faters and easier to do. I am averaging most brews at 2 weeks in the fermenter anyway. I enjoy making my beer as much as I like dinking it!!! ;)

OH and I aint going bin diving LOL!!!! I put an ad on freecycles and got about 50 tallies the other day!!

no worries mate ,i was gunna suggest taking empty bottles away from all you mates, but i read your other thread and thought that could be a bit harsh ;) i thought when i started up bottling was okay aswell but ended up almost giving brewin away cause i hated bottling that much, all the cleaning sanitising and ******* round with sugar,and also waiting for carbonation oh the waiting.now im in kegs its just washing one big bottle and can drink the day i keg it if i want,still learning to no do this though.sorry wasnt meant to be a rant just sorta ended up that way :icon_cheers:

Your'e a machine Fasty keep it up and send us a postcard from rehab:)
Try the local rag for freebies in the classifieds or keep an eye out for the large flip tops.

Thats cool BEERHOG I do kinda hate hate washing the bottles though!!!! I wash em when finished the bottle, then drop it in the laundry sink until the sinks full ( or the missus whinges) the wash em again and rinse em and put em on the bottle tree and leave em there until i fill em up!! The stubbies i put back in the carton until filling time.

Hi There,

this might not be as much fun as drinking them but you can buy tallies from a place called Plasdene they will be crown seal but only to 640ml they are at, prices seem reasonable and they get cheaper the more you buy, details are :

30 Northlink Place VIRGINIA QLD 4014,

ph (07) 3256 6100, 1800 256 610,

fax (07) 3256 6800,

email [email protected]

cheers Jan.

Brisbane, QLD30 Northlink PlaceVIRGINIA QLD 4014Phone:(07) 3256 6100Fax:(07) 3256 6800Toll-free:1800 256 610Email:p[email protected]
Brisbane, QLD30 Northlink PlaceVIRGINIA QLD 4014Phone:(07) 3256 6100Fax:(07) 3256 6800Toll-free:1800 256 610Email:p[email protected]

Fasty you can always buys some of the Coopers PET bottles. Big W at Robina sells em for $12 for 15 bottles incl.caps.

Leon

Fasty, just go buy a few slabs of Aldi 2L cola and use those bottles. I think BribieG does this, and it's pretty clever if you ask me, only having to clean 10 odd big bottles rather than 30 odd small ones

I've got about 20-30 here if you want to come and pick them up from Burleigh. Caps too if you want them.

Fasty, just go buy a few slabs of Aldi 2L cola and use those bottles. I think BribieG does this, and it's pretty clever if you ask me, only having to clean 10 odd big bottles rather than 30 odd small ones

Was going to suggest this as well. Sounds ideal for your situation Fasty. Saves time and sounds like you would have no problem finishing a bottle (or 2) in a night which overcomes a big problem with these bottles - losing carbonation once opened.

i went to the local pub and gave them a big bucket they put bottles into, they just threw them out otherwise so made no difference to them as long as i took away the bucket once it was full, just go ask and try be as charming as possible :icon_cheers:
they werent tallies obvously, but i got so many it didnt matter

Thats a great idea. I am pretty well known at my local.

Thanks Nick JD. I am still chasing bottles. If you have a carton witht he bos, thats fine too. I need about 60 or 70 more tallies this week though.

I got all of my longnecks from a local reception centre (does weddings, formals, etc).
Just asked one of the managers if I could come by after a function and go through their recycle bins. They had a couple of dozen full bins (large black bins) full of bottles.
Filled my boot, back seats, came away with 200+ bottles.
Just wear some solid gloves, as some smash and there'll be tiny glass fragments in the bins, and give them a rinse when you get them home (after going through them all I had maybe a tablespoon of glass 'dust' at the bottom of my sink.

I'm at Petrie north Brisbane I have about a hundred screw top tallies.. Should still be pretty clean..

If you need them...

Latest posts

Back