Taking The Tap Off My Urn And Replacing With A Ball Valve

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newbiebrewer

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am gonna replace the tap on my crown urn with a ball valve and I was wondering if what I am getting is all I need to do the job?

1 ball valve (3 piece stainless)
1 barb
1 locking nut
1 o ring

Hi all,

I am gonna replace the tap on my crown urn with a ball valve and I was wondering if what I am getting is all I need to do the job?

1 ball valve (3 piece stainless)
1 barb
1 locking nut
1 o ring

You'll need a threaded nipple to go through the wall of the urn.

Or... In my opinion the easiest way is to get yourself one of the Stainless tube with twin ferrule stainless steel compression fitting (male) from Beer Belly or someone similar. Then just fit an o ring and washer to the inside and screw the ball valve and barb to the outside to create the seal.

Your existing tap will be mounted on some kind of nipple, so try reusing that with your ball valve and see if you get a good seal. If not, you will need another fitting as Argon has pointed out. When I went through this exercise, I used a stainless bulkhead fitting from a yachting shop.

yeah I was about to ask about that, is it a one piece tap or is it in separate parts?

Latest posts

Back