Taking Homebrew On A Virgin Flight?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought the pressure was lower and the oxygen the same - thought the cabin pressure was about 5000m.

EDIT: 2000m

I didn't think the cargo hold would be that long, even an A380 wouldn't be that long! Didn't think they injected O2 into the cargo hold either, I thought O2 levels were lower at higher altitude. Maybe they pressurise the cargo hold too?

The percentage of 02 at higher altitude is the same but the pressure is lower, lower air pressure means there is less oxygen by volume. I am not sure how much they pressurise the cargo hold but my ears have difficulty in the cabin. Apparently at 2000m there is 80% of the 02 available at sea level (if at 2000m air pressure). http://www.altitude.org/air_pressure.php So if pressurised to the same level as that at sea level then O2 levels should be the same (about 21%).

Isn't temp lower at altitude? Like 2oC drop per approx 304.8 metres? So 2000m in altitude would be about 13oC cooler than ambient temp at sea level? I suppose cargo holds are insulated to some degree but poochy would probably be chilled. If the baggage handlers weren't so likely to break or steal your beer then it may be at perfect drinking temps after the flight, if left in the cargo hold.

Just in case it went off, to save some hassle with the explaination try and think up a better term to use than "bottle bomb".

I've taken my HB in checked baggage before, wrapped each bottle in a tshirt and then enclosed them in a plastic-garbage bag, just incase they exploded or the lid came off.
No problems at all - I probably would have been less worried had I known that the baggage-area was the same pressure as the passenger bit. :)

Disclaimer... I have no idea wtf I'm talking about here... nevertheless, I would have thought there would be issues carting glass bottles on the plane?.... PET wouldn't be obviously.

Disclaimer... I have no idea wtf I'm talking about here... nevertheless, I would have thought there would be issues carting glass bottles on the plane?.... PET wouldn't be obviously.

That's a good point. If they confiscate nail scissors from carry-on luggage in case you use it to hijack the plane, surely a group of big guys armed with smashed glass bottles would pose a bigger threat?

_41292052_bottle203.jpg

I took three PET bottles of my HB on a Qantas flight from Brisbane to Mt Isa. When I got to Mt Isa (where I used to work) I stored them in the fridge in my room for seven nights then drank them on our shift change day. They were all gushers, so I have never tried it again. I cracked them slightly and poured as gently as I could but they all frothed up. I tried to leave the glass settle and ended up drinking about half of each highly carbonated bottle.

Sort of on topic: I used to carry 15 tinnies of xxxx gold in a wine cooler bag as carry on luggage from Brisbane to Perth to drink during shift change in the mines. Never had any explosions.

A mate of mine had his 4 cans of Mother explode in his suitcase on a flight from Cairns to Mt Isa.

That's a good point. If they confiscate nail scissors from carry-on luggage in case you use it to hijack the plane, surely a group of big guys armed with smashed glass bottles would pose a bigger threat?

_41292052_bottle203.jpg

Yes, you would think that, but our governments basically have no idea what they are doing, other than being very successful at making life as difficult as possible for law-abiding citizens, and bugger the inconsistencies. You've got me started now!

_41292052_bottle203.jpg
Do you remember when you were a kid and used to squash an aluminum can in half, and twist it until it broke into two pieces, each end of the can was very jagged and could easily cause injury? Many drinks on planes are served in cans that could easily be manipulated in much the same way to create a weapon more dangerous than some of the things that are confiscated.
I took three PET bottles of my HB on a Qantas flight from Brisbane to Mt Isa. When I got to Mt Isa (where I used to work) I stored them in the fridge in my room for seven nights then drank them on our shift change day. They were all gushers, so I have never tried it again. I cracked them slightly and poured as gently as I could but they all frothed up. I tried to leave the glass settle and ended up drinking about half of each highly carbonated bottle.

Sort of on topic: I used to carry 15 tinnies of xxxx gold in a wine cooler bag as carry on luggage from Brisbane to Perth to drink during shift change in the mines. Never had any explosions.

A mate of mine had his 4 cans of Mother explode in his suitcase on a flight from Cairns to Mt Isa.
I'm not sure that the gusher-problem was related to your plane flight, were the bottles left at home OK?
I guess it's possible that the light-aircraft used to get to Mt Isa does not have the same cabin-pressure as a big jet, but an external change in pressure should not effect the beer once it has stabilized again (as long as the bottles don't explode on-route).

_41292052_bottle203.jpg

Shh... you'll upset the great theatre of the security check system at the airports! No nail scissors or aerosols and that silly explosives check... I keep meaning to ask whether that explosives check has EVER turned up a positive to the guys that run it. My stepdad had been shooting the day before and got pulled up on it, must have been gunpowder residue, but after a pretty thorough pat down let him go

No dis-service to the guys running it but it is all a bit of a theatrical exercise designed to reassure people rather than provide real safety. Up the pointy end of Qantas flights they still use real glasses and hand out stainless steel cutlery.

I got a cigarette lighter confiscated about 12 months ago because apparently your only allowed to have 1 lighter and I had 2. I mean WTF am i going to do with 2 lighters that I can't do with 1?

I checked in a carton of Wizard Smith wrapped in newspaper, arrived in Brisbane without any issues. Apparently you cant get it on the mainland and my brother loved it last time he was down.

I'm not sure that the gusher-problem was related to your plane flight, were the bottles left at home OK?
I guess it's possible that the light-aircraft used to get to Mt Isa does not have the same cabin-pressure as a big jet, but an external change in pressure should not effect the beer once it has stabilized again (as long as the bottles don't explode on-route).

Yep, the bottles at home were all ok. It was a Qantas plane, from memory about 150-200 seater, so a lot larger than the Fokker 100 I now catch to Cloncurry. Buddies at work want me to bring some brews out but I'm a bit hesitant on taking based on my previous experience.

I'll give it a whirl next time I go out and report back.

A wasted thread - read your conditions of travel for the airline with whom your flying. People travel the world with beer in their checked baggage. In Australia you can carry on limited amounts (set out in the airlines conditions of travel supplied to you when you book and purchase a ticket).

DSC03465.JPG

I got a cigarette lighter confiscated about 12 months ago because apparently your only allowed to have 1 lighter and I had 2. I mean WTF am i going to do with 2 lighters that I can't do with 1?

You could use 1 lighter to set the other lighter on fire creating a fireball large enough to singe the hair of 2 maybe 3 (including yourself) passengers!!
Of course you could just borrow somebody else's lighter once you're on board, but maybe they didn't think of that!

I recall reading an article a couple of years ago about some wanker in Melbourne who tried to fly with a $10,000 bottle of wine and was told no liquids. So the spiteful prick opened it up and poured it straight into bin so that nobody else could drink it! Or sell it. WTF! Why wouldn't you change flights?

A wasted thread - read your conditions of travel for the airline with whom your flying. People travel the world with beer in their checked baggage. In Australia you can carry on limited amounts (set out in the airlines conditions of travel supplied to you when you book and purchase a ticket).

watch-out-we-got-a-badass-over-here-meme_large.png

Latest posts

Back