System Upgrade

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crusty

Reaction score
The time has come to upgrade from my fairly basic 23 litre batch system to a modern approach. Talked to Beerbelly Brewing today & looking at the 2 or 3 vessel Herms system ( Gas ) If I decide not to go Herms, I am looking at 98 litre kettle, 70 litre mashtun & 98 litre HLT. Will be definately getting the march pump & plate chiller as well. For a single 23 litre batch, I was intending to use a 2 litre yeast starter & I have some questions.

1. If I go the triple batch system as above, what size yeast starter should I do? Is a 4 litre enough?
2. If I go 70 Litre kettle, 50 litre Mashtun & 70 litre HLT, what size starter. 4 Litre again?
2. Anyone here gone over to Herms from a more basic way of brewing & opinions on the system?

Cheers,

Crusty

The time has come to upgrade from my fairly basic 23 litre batch system to a modern approach. Talked to Beerbelly Brewing today & looking at the 2 or 3 vessel Herms system ( Gas ) If I decide not to go Herms, I am looking at 98 litre kettle, 70 litre mashtun & 98 litre HLT. Will be definately getting the march pump & plate chiller as well. For a single 23 litre batch, I was intending to use a 2 litre yeast starter & I have some questions.

1. If I go the triple batch system as above, what size yeast starter should I do? Is a 4 litre enough?
2. If I go 70 Litre kettle, 50 litre Mashtun & 70 litre HLT, what size starter. 4 Litre again?
2. Anyone here gone over to Herms from a more basic way of brewing & opinions on the system?

Cheers,

Crusty

Depends on what size fermentation vessel you use. If you are going to use a number of fermenting vessels for multiple batches then use a pitching rate calculator input the amount in litres for each fermenting vessel and the gravity of the wort etc and it will calculate how much yeast is required to pitch into each fermenter. If you are fermenting say 3 x 23L batches in 3 fermenting vessels then use the pitching rate calculator to calculate the amount of yeast required for 23L of wort at x gravity then pitch that amount into each fermenting vessel.

Screwy

The only thing I would say Crusty is when i looked into getting my system it was important to me to still be able to brew a single batch to perfect my brewing styles.
for that reason I went with the 50Litre Tun and 70 litre kettle.
I would say with that setup from my little experience you would be looking at minimum double batches.
I can certainly vouch for Waynes gear , I am wrapped with mine ..
Screwy has given me some great advice on herms and I would go down that path , I considered Gas on a HLT but think Electric HLT and Herms has some great benefits in simplifying the processand allowing flexibility.
Interesting to see others thoughts .

Woody

Latest posts

Back