Sydney,where to stay,where to drink?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been to oak barrel each time I've stayed in Sydney since I found it whilst randomly walking around the city with the mrs.

Needless to say, those 3 trips since have burned a huge hole in the back pocket.

Totally worth it though...

Another +1 for harts pub. Great beer, great food and great atmosphere. Plus it's only a few minutes walk from circular quay station

HalfWit said:
This is the best place to drink. Not cheap. http://www.redoak.com.au/
have to disagree with you last couple of times ive been there most of the beers ive tasted have been infected or they dont clean their lines properly. ether way there are better places to drink.

Check their twitter: @RAHpublichouse

Usually lists what beers they have on (which is always good).

Royal Albert has about 6 craft beers on tap plus one or two on hand pumps, at least it did when I stumbled across it a few weeks ago on a Sunday evening. Bartender was very knowledgeable about the beers. Excellent.

Macquarie Hotel is close by also, with several of their (Sydney Brewery / Schwarz Brewery) beers on tap.

And if you are staying near the Oak Barrel, then you will be close to these places.

I will also recommend the Royal Albert.
A small fantastic Pub with great food if you like dim sims (dumplings)
and great beer.

regards

Graeme

stm said:
Royal Albert has about 6 craft beers on tap plus one or two on hand pumps, at least it did when I stumbled across it a few weeks ago on a Sunday evening. Bartender was very knowledgeable about the beers. Excellent.

Macquarie Hotel is close by also, with several of their (Sydney Brewery / Schwarz Brewery) beers on tap.

And if you are staying near the Oak Barrel, then you will be close to these places.
Checked out the Macquarie on Monday,no Schwartz I could see on tap,mainly Squires.Twas a nice pub though.I'm only 1/2 a block from the Oak,the Vibe in Goulburn St,getting ready for the Belgian tasting as I type :icon_drool2: Passed the Royal Albert today,I'll make a point of calling in there tomorrow before Manly and Murrays.I'll also check out the Macquarie again,might have missed the tap sign :D

The Oak Barrel is great - I'm in Sydney normally once a year and always make a trip into town from Manly specifically to visit.

They have great staff who know about the beers on sale too. Great bottle shop.

The Belgian tasting was top stuff,got chatting to a couple of local beer lovers and the Royal Albert is deffo a go tomorrow.The Oak is great,very knowledgable staff and a top notch selection of beer.Had quite a few pointy shoe,tie ,suit wearers at the tasting.Tried to make beer conversation with one 'gent' ,only to have him look down his nose at me (GABS t-shirt and jeans) and say "yes,I know,I've been doing this for a long time"
.The fecker couldn't have been more than 23 yo :D He got told he was a pretentious twat.Not quite in those terms though :lol: The 'Hooks penned appropriate lyrics about Sydney in one of their songs.."Sydney sweet Sydney,I love your red roofs",blah,blah. ;)

toper01 said:
Just looked at the website.Sadly all they advertise is wine and Champagne,not a beer mentioned anywhere.Not a good sign. :unsure:
The Royal Albert website isn't great and like tiprya said it's better to follow their twitter feed for up to date info on what's on tap.

I was in there last week and remember Feral Hop Hog, Young Henry's Natural Lager, Riverside 44, on tap, plus at least 5 others. The stand out for me though was the Wayward Brewing India Red Ale on the hand pump, delicious. There's not many pubs in Sydney with hand pumps, but they always have two on the go at the RAH.

They've also expanded the menu recently so it's not all dim sims and dumplings. Nice range of burgers, pulled pork etc now... If you haven't been you're missing out.

Royal Albert is really good but also really small, so dont tell too many friends ok <wink>. Macquarie Hotel has recently been sold, so Im guessing the Sydney Brewery beers *might* reduce whats on tap, but I dont know the exact details. The Sydney Brewery aka Scwhartz is moving to Newie/Hunter Valley RSN. They will still be distributed in Syd but Im not aware of the details, they currently have a number of Mercure etc hotels. The brewery itself is suppose to be physically moving this month out of Macquarie & into bigger building up nth, which they desperatley need.

The Lord & Harts are still good venues also. LocalTaphouse usually has a good range but bring a few extra $$$ :( Also the RedTape Brewhouse? on Darling Harbour aka Blue Tongue aka Squires is now brewing its own ales and has reasonable pints of other craftbrews.

East Sydney hotel in wooloomooloo, only place to.get. a Guinness in Sydney, lord nelson in the rocks, good micro from when I went a fewp years.back. tap house in darling harbor, but that was a few years ago, good Czech cafe in kings cross down a lane off where they.offer smack and whores, lowenbrau in the rocks.is overpriced, better get the ferry to manly, check out the coral.as others have said, bit rough to be honest.
Good micro near central. Wyentworth ave. Good ttappist on tap. Can't remember the name.

The Royal Albert was tops,great beer and food plus knowledgable staff.If I lived here it'd be a regular for sure :super:

Latest posts

Back