Sydney,where to stay,where to drink?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toper

Reaction score
Any suggestions gratefully accepted.Decided to take SWMBO on a hol to sin city in mid September for a few days,any suggestions for decent hotels ? Won't have a car there so we'll be relying on whatever the NSW government considers public transport:D Suggestions for beer worthy pubs also vital ;)

Was in Sydney a couple of years ago, The Australian Hotel on the corner of Cumberland & Gloucester in The Rocks neighbourhood had a fine selection of craft brews, and excellent food too. Also, if you go over to Manly the 4 Pines brewery is worth a visit - on the waterfront near the ferry terminal. Their stout is especially good.

Just go to Frankies Pizza, got booth seats, no need for a Hotel ... ;p

Manly -
Eat - Chica Bonita - cool little Mexican place off the Corso

Drink - 4 Pines and Murrays down the beach end of the Corso.

Heard about this place in Darlinghurst recently called Mr Crackles - signature dish? Pork crackling!! Hot dogs, sloppy joes, chips and pork crackling!!

Will be cholesterol and carbing up there in a few weeks time!

Kev

got to take the ferry to manly , a great harbour cruise in itself, with murrays and 4 pines ,as mentioned, both great beer destinations.

Harts Pub in the Rocks

15 taps of local Craft Beer, you wont want to go anywhere else

have a look at the nsw pub crawl thread. lots of good ideas there

barls said:
have a look at the nsw pub crawl thread. lots of good ideas there
Good call. Head to the Lowenbrau Keller in the rocks. A german breakfast & a mangoweizen is a great start to the day. Nice view of a bit of the harbour bridge too.
The YHA at the rocks looks pretty good - considering location & price.

Murrays is closed or renamed to Rubber Ducky. Not sure if they are refurbing at the moment.

Scotty

I thought King St Brewhouse was pretty nice, decent selection of beers
The Pumphouse was terrible, my wife and I went there after we flew back into sydney after our Honeymoon
It was way overpriced, got ignored by all the bartenders and then when I asked what IPA they recommended I got a blank stare
Plus there were a lot of hipsters and businessmen in pointy shoes (and I looked like a massive bogan/metalhead), so we hightailed it out of there and went to somewhere else in Darling Harbour for dinner

/// said:
Murrays is closed or renamed to Rubber Ducky. Not sure if they are refurbing at the moment.

Scotty
You're right - Rubber Ducky is referred to in a recent email from Murray's - but by the sounds of the email they are still pouring Murray's beers...

Hope so - I'm off to Sydney and staying a short walk from what was Murray's weekend after next and, as much as 4 Pines have some quality beers, they just can't match the variety of Murray's.

Kev

Thanks very much gents,some great suggestions.Harts looks excellent,it's on the list for a visit.4 Pines will deffo get a look in,their stout is much to my liking :D The Rocks and Manly seem to be the best areas for beer,accomodation will be sorted,I'll try for hotel centrally.The 'pub crawl' thread will be read too.

Baxter bar is great for whiskey, Spooning Goats and Mojo ain't to far from The Rocks. Also Bridge St Bar abs Dinner near tank lane opens next week

petesbrew said:
Good call. Head to the Lowenbrau Keller in the rocks. A german breakfast & a mangoweizen is a great start to the day. Nice view of a bit of the harbour bridge too.
The YHA at the rocks looks pretty good - considering location & price.
Funny to hear I'm not the only one on the German & Mango beer breakfast :p

Whilst in "The Rocks" I usually never go past the top floor of the Glenmore hotel. Not much in the way of craft beer but the view is something special.

Definitely lowenbrau for mango weizen. And a trip to Sydney for me always includes The Lord Nelson brewery. The rooms there look good to, never slept there. But the beers are awesome and its close to the lowenbrau and the Australian.

Why go to Sydney? State of Origin is over Qld just won 8 in a row. :lol: Sorry I just had to say it :super: :drinks:

Arrived yesterday,so far the inner CBD pubs seem ok,a reasonable selection of beer.Tomorrow it's Harts,then Manly for 4 Pines and Murrays :) I did happen to find this bottlo though,and what luck,they're a 2 minute walk from my hotel and tomorrow arvo they have a Belgian tasting session for some new imports.Also a selection to make me drool,gonna return with a very low bank balance me thinks. :D :D ;) http://www.oakbarrel.com.au/

Back