Sydney Shops

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mckenry

Brummagem
Reaction score
Hi All,
Quick search brought up some 2003 posts. Wondering if this list has grown (v doubtful) or shrunk or should be revised at least.
Work has relocated to Ryde area.
I usually buy direct from ESB / The Brew Shop or craftbrewer by post. It was handy to have a sponsor & outlet close to work.
Now, where are the LHBS' in the Ryde Area?
whitepages.com.au only shows 6 results - none near Ryde - (well not close enough to duck out to at lunch)

Grateful to anyone that can point me in the right direction of an updated list.
Regards,
mckenry

Hi All,
Quick search brought up some 2003 posts. Wondering if this list has grown (v doubtful) or shrunk or should be revised at least.
Work has relocated to Ryde area.
I usually buy direct from ESB / The Brew Shop or craftbrewer by post. It was handy to have a sponsor & outlet close to work.
Now, where are the LHBS' in the Ryde Area?
whitepages.com.au only shows 6 results - none near Ryde - (well not close enough to duck out to at lunch)

Grateful to anyone that can point me in the right direction of an updated list.
Regards,
mckenry
Few and far between, McKenry.
The closest would be
The Country Brewer at Thornleigh
Dave's Home Brew at North Sydney

Hope you've got access to a pool car.

edit: is there still a brewcraft on Victoria Rd near Rozelle? Not sure, never been in it myself.

Probably the closest shop for you is Dave at North Sydney.

Pete, there used to be, but it closed down some time ago I think. Not that much in there when it was there anyway. <_<

Few and far between, McKenry.
The closest would be
The Country Brewer at Thornleigh
Dave's Home Brew at North Sydney

Hope you've got access to a pool car.

edit: is there still a brewcraft on Victoria Rd near Rozelle? Not sure, never been in it myself.

Thats about it unfortunately, and the brewcraft closed down long ago. I live in the Ryde/Parramatta area and purchase mainly from Craft Brewer online or jump on the M4 down to Pat at Absolute Homebrew.

Thats about it unfortunately, and the brewcraft closed down long ago. I live in the Ryde/Parramatta area and purchase mainly from Craft Brewer online or jump on the M4 down to Pat at Absolute Homebrew.

Thanks all.
Looks like I'll have to be more organised & go solely with post except for big grain orders :(
Doesnt compare to wandering around a store though.

I ducked into Kirrawee Home Brew on Sat for a few bits and pieces. Last time I was in there (late 2005) they were pretty much geared for kit and kilo brewers. Grain cost a fortune and yeast and hops were just left on then benches.

Now its a new kettle of fish. Grain at competitive prices, yeast and hops in a new display fridge and all at competitive prices. it's good to see a LHBS lift its game.

Thanks all.
Looks like I'll have to be more organised & go solely with post except for big grain orders :(
Doesnt compare to wandering around a store though.

I'm at Nth Ryde for work mckenry. Daves is your best bet IMO, range is the best and it's not too bad a lunchtime run down Epping Road and the Freeway or on your way home if you're heading in that direction. Done it a few times now.

The Brewcraft has long gone, was only good for kits & bits, OK for hardware but a little thin on that as well. Mascot and the Brewhaus @ Newtown both v. good and both very gone :( .

Indicative of the LHBS scene in Sydney. Hard to believe Inner Sydney south of the harbour can't support a LHBS but it seems the way.. Maybe a good indicator of this area/demographic more inclined to be online buyers, who knows.............. I wonder if Ross'll consider a franchise.............. maybe Five Dock................hmmmmmmmm.

May have something to do with the cost of rent in Sydney, for example we are in the list for
Most Expensive Streets in the World
Country City Rent (US $/sq.ft/yr)
10. Australia Pitt Street Mall, Sydney $448

and although there won't be any home brew shops in Pitt st any time soon it is indicative of the problems faced by business here

There is also a shop in Asquith, but that may be a bit far and not sure what kind of stock they have there.

Gotta love those online "Business Directories" .... wonder how up-to-date they are, but a quick Google search found me this site:

New South Wales Home Brewing P/L, 147B Victoria Road, DRUMMOYNE NSW 2047
http://www.bdau.com/googleMaps.cfm?cid=2429975

Great Western Brewing Supplies, 510A Great Western Highway, PENDLE HILL NSW 2145
http://www.bdau.com/googleMaps.cfm?cid=2570009

Goldrush Home Brewing Supplies, 36 Stoddart Road, PROSPECT NSW 2148
http://www.bdau.com/googleMaps.cfm?cid=2580798

Considering I have not found these three in other searches of the Yellow/White pages, I wonder if they still exist too.

You are in a dry spot at ryde. Thornleigh and Dave's were the two I used when living in Epping/Macq Park. Good luck wih it!

Back