Swiss Lager At 19 Degrees, Is This Possible?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Daisy,
thanks for writing that up.
Sounds like you're getting good results with the S-189, all right if that's the yeast you ended up with re-brewing with again and again.

Sounds like you're pitching warmer than I did but then letting it go down to 12-14 which should be cleaner than the 17 I fermented at.

thanks
Bjorn

Oh I like the idea of a Ale like" beer because my last batch I made an ale and instead of using US-05, thought give the 189 a go at 16-18c. Tastes Ale like to me but still has that clean lagery character.

I've used S189 for about 5 years now and mainly brew lagers. However as some of the guys in the Canberra Brewers would know my methods, I'm a "Lazy Lager" brewer. As in I don't follow the conventional lagering technique. I pitch the yeast at around 18 - 24 depending on whether it is winter or summer, obviosuly my immersion element will not cool it down past 26c in summer. Eventually the beer will ferment at 12-14c in the fermenting fridge until complete. Then I would transfer into kegs but also prime my kegs with dextrose. I have force carbed sometimes but fine that in my case, the beers tasted better primed. So once kegged, would leave it at room temp (anywhere from 12 - 20c) for a couple weeks. Then fridge for a day or two, open lid, add gelatin solution (1 tsp in 100ml cooled boiled water), reseal. Leave a couple of days and drink beer clears up after a couple of schooners). I always have some kegs conditioning so I'm not in a rush to drink a new batch.

That is all I do. I have used liquid lager yeasts like Budvar but find it doesn't give the best results with my method, however it is better when lagered correctly at cold temps. And in saying that, I find that yeast when treated correctly is similar to 189 anyway. So 189 is so much easier to use and handle and temp fluctuations doesn't seem to hurt it at all. Sulfur and diacetyl is so minimal in 189 I find in the end product.

I don't filter or anything like that. Just simple stuff here. And years ago I used to do various styles, now I just make beers I really like to drink, and that is lagers and S189 is all I use.

cheers Daisy

Hi Daisy,
Sounds like you're getting good results with the S-189, all right if that's the yeast you ended up with re-brewing with again and again.

Sounds like you're pitching warmer than I did but then letting it go down to 12-14 which should be cleaner than the 17 I fermented at.

thanks
Bjorn

Oh I like the idea of a Ale like" beer because my last batch I made an ale and instead of using US-05, thought give the 189 a go at 16-18c. Tastes Ale like to me but still has that clean lagery character.

I've used S189 for about 5 years now and mainly brew lagers. However as some of the guys in the Canberra Brewers would know my methods, I'm a "Lazy Lager" brewer. As in I don't follow the conventional lagering technique. I pitch the yeast at around 18 - 24 depending on whether it is winter or summer, obviosuly my immersion element will not cool it down past 26c in summer. Eventually the beer will ferment at 12-14c in the fermenting fridge until complete. Then I would transfer into kegs but also prime my kegs with dextrose. I have force carbed sometimes but fine that in my case, the beers tasted better primed. So once kegged, would leave it at room temp (anywhere from 12 - 20c) for a couple weeks. Then fridge for a day or two, open lid, add gelatin solution (1 tsp in 100ml cooled boiled water), reseal. Leave a couple of days and drink beer clears up after a couple of schooners). I always have some kegs conditioning so I'm not in a rush to drink a new batch.

That is all I do. I have used liquid lager yeasts like Budvar but find it doesn't give the best results with my method, however it is better when lagered correctly at cold temps. And in saying that, I find that yeast when treated correctly is similar to 189 anyway. So 189 is so much easier to use and handle and temp fluctuations doesn't seem to hurt it at all. Sulfur and diacetyl is so minimal in 189 I find in the end product.

I don't filter or anything like that. Just simple stuff here. And years ago I used to do various styles, now I just make beers I really like to drink, and that is lagers and S189 is all I use.

cheers Daisy

hi there bjorn, i too last night had a win when i handed my latest s-189 to the missus and got a thumbs up,
was a little like vb which she likes, i used mostly munich1, wheat, pilsner, and hopped with por.
this is a good sign that our brews must be getting better.

Good stuff!
I brew for me, and don't really mind that the guys in the brew club always give me shit for not brewing strong enough beers :D
Same at home, usually there is always something "non normal" with my brews.

But it certainly was fun when the wife for once actually looked impressed and said I finally had made a normal, nice beer.

Bjorn

My first APA before Xmas was cleaned out by gen Y's who were amazed that someone could actually make Fat Yak in the garage :eek:

New clubbing and student beer up here, good on yer kids give TED and Blonde the arse. Hope yet.

My first APA before Xmas was cleaned out by gen Y's who were amazed that someone could actually make Fat Yak in the garage :eek:

New clubbing and student beer up here, good on yer kids give TED and Blonde the arse. Hope yet.

wasting your time in a call centre Bribie, start a BIAB night club on the island - save all the travelling (for work that is).

Hi Daisy,

thanks
Bjorn

Yeah I haven't brewed a beer over 14c until my last effort - the Ale using 189 at 18c. But maybe there is a little fruit in my beers, but over the years my club members have always commenetd on how clean my beer is. So I guess what I'm doing works. An award for best Pale Lager in 2009 as well for my Boh Pils so I must be doing something right.

Dredging up this topic but hoping for some words of wisdom from those who've had the experience.

Does S-189 fermented at 19 degrees work for 1070ish IPAs?

I'm looking for a clean yeast that:
1. will let the malt and hops shine through without a lot of yeast character (happy with a little fruitiness - but not a lot)
2. can ferment at 17-20degrees (as it has to share a ferment fridge with another ale)
3. ....and here's the kicker.... I want to use something other than S05 for a change.

Would S-189 do the biz or am I barking up the wrong tree?

If S-189s out - what else would be good?
Thanks

Dredging up this topic but hoping for some words of wisdom from those who've had the experience.

Does S-189 fermented at 19 degrees work for 1070ish IPAs?

I'm looking for a clean yeast that:
1. will let the malt and hops shine through without a lot of yeast character (happy with a little fruitiness - but not a lot)
2. can ferment at 17-20degrees (as it has to share a ferment fridge with another ale)
3. ....and here's the kicker.... I want to use something other than S05 for a change.

Would S-189 do the biz or am I barking up the wrong tree?

If S-189s out - what else would be good?
Thanks

May be way to late to reply, but just wanted to suggest WLP007:
http://www.whitelabs.com/beer/strains_wlp007.html

I've used it found it to be a clean, fast yeast that fermented a big beer out really well.

Bjorn

May be way to late to reply, but just wanted to suggest WLP007:
http://www.whitelabs.com/beer/strains_wlp007.html

I've used it found it to be a clean, fast yeast that fermented a big beer out really well.

Bjorn

Thanks Bjorn - I ended up using s05 after all that - but am still keen to try something else at some stage.
I'll look into your suggestion - and see if I can get hold of WL yeast - AFAIK there isn't anyone currently importing their yeasts into NZ.
The attraction of S-189 was that its dry and probably travels a little better if I have to get some sent over.
Cheers

This is the challenge I am currently faced with. TEDs especially. The kids just like a very light bodied beer that can be smashed down ice cold one after the other, after the other, after the other etc.

Thought I'd tack this Q onto this thread as its pretty much what I was searching for.

So, with Xmas fast approaching and 20 guests heading my way, I need to brew 2 kegs worth by 6th December.
My plan is to do the one grain bill and split it two ways.
Make a simple lager for those that aren't adventurous and an APA a bit towards the hoppier end. (I have a hefe ready to go, so that will be 3 kegs all up)
I'm going to no chill both and cube hop the APA, maybe dry as well.
I need to ferment them both at the same time, so I am thinking 1272 for the APA as I already have a smack pack, but was thinking a Danish Lager (Danish/Swiss - they're the same aren't they? :p ) 2042 for the lager.
I am thinking about 16° for the both. Now, Danish 2042 is recommended 13° tops but there's a California Lager and a Bohemian that have tops recommended at 20° and 22° respectively. I expect I'll get either of these last 2 lager strains.

Here's my question(s)
Anyone done this or does anyone have any better ideas?

I would ignore the temperature on the Bohemian 2124, this is noted on one of the yeast manufacturers sites as "can also be used for pseudo ale production at high temps" - basically this is intended for breweries who want to use a single strain for all batches to be able to make something tasting like an ale with a lager yeast.

For a lager at high temps go the Californian, I know of someone who has multiple lager trophies to his name that pretty much only uses that. Another good choice for a reasonably high temperature lager-like finish is WLP029 kolsch (will still be fruity though) or WLP833 is not bad at higher temps either.

If you do a Kolsch or something similarly light and mild flavoured it'll probably go down better than calling something a lager and it isn't totally bland and tasteless like people are used to. Needs lots of sugar to get it to finish as dry as most aussie lagers (and not hoppy either, most are around 15-20 IBU).

S189 isn't Danish lager btw, S189 is a Hurlimann strain and 2042 Danish is Carlsberg

DJR said:
I would ignore the temperature on the Bohemian 2124, this is noted on one of the yeast manufacturers sites as "can also be used for pseudo ale production at high temps" - basically this is intended for breweries who want to use a single strain for all batches to be able to make something tasting like an ale with a lager yeast.

For a lager at high temps go the Californian, I know of someone who has multiple lager trophies to his name that pretty much only uses that. Another good choice for a reasonably high temperature lager-like finish is WLP029 kolsch (will still be fruity though) or WLP833 is not bad at higher temps either.

If you do a Kolsch or something similarly light and mild flavoured it'll probably go down better than calling something a lager and it isn't totally bland and tasteless like people are used to. Needs lots of sugar to get it to finish as dry as most aussie lagers (and not hoppy either, most are around 15-20 IBU).

S189 isn't Danish lager btw, S189 is a Hurlimann strain and 2042 Danish is Carlsberg
Cheers for the advice DJR. Why do you say ignore the temp of the Bohemian? Its listed as 22°, which is good for ale like beers and I want to ferment at around 16 anyway.
I like the idea of a Kolsch too. Hadnt thought of that, but cant get Whitelabs where I am going, but I could find the equiv Wyeast I'd reckon.
And yep, I knew S189 was swiss, but Wyeast only has a Danish - I was just messing around, Kiwi/Aus, Dane/Swiss kinda thing, seeing as I was posting in a Swiss Lager thread.

mckenry said:
Cheers for the advice DJR. Why do you say ignore the temp of the Bohemian? Its listed as 22°, which is good for ale like beers and I want to ferment at around 16 anyway.
I like the idea of a Kolsch too. Hadnt thought of that, but cant get Whitelabs where I am going, but I could find the equiv Wyeast I'd reckon.
And yep, I knew S189 was swiss, but Wyeast only has a Danish - I was just messing around, Kiwi/Aus, Dane/Swiss kinda thing, seeing as I was posting in a Swiss Lager thread.
Are you confusing Switzerland with Sweden?

I've made two megalagers recently with S-189 (ordered in error, I was after S-23) and also Wyeast Danish. I did the same fermentation schedule with both, pitched at 13, fermented for about five days then allowed to rise to 19 (edit: over the course of another five days) then lagered for a week. You should definitely be able to crank one out long before Xmas.

The S-189 took third in the NSW pale lagers this year and the Danish got second place in the Nats pale lagers.

The S-189 one is definitely a bit fruitier but quite in style.

mckenry said:
haha, no, theyre the same :lol:
I suppose so. There's only 1000-2500km, a few countries, a sea and a dozen langues separating them. :huh:

Bribie G said:
I've made two megalagers recently with S-189 (ordered in error, I was after S-23) and also Wyeast Danish. I did the same fermentation schedule with both, pitched at 13, fermented for about five days then allowed to rise to 19 (edit: over the course of another five days) then lagered for a week. You should definitely be able to crank one out long before Xmas.

The S-189 took third in the NSW pale lagers this year and the Danish got second place in the Nats pale lagers.

The S-189 one is definitely a bit fruitier but quite in style.
Thanks Bribie

MCHammo said:
I suppose so. There's only 1000-2500km, a few countries, a sea and a dozen langues separating them. :huh:
STOP! MCHammo time.

Mate, seriously, read my posts closely. I was taking the piss about the scandanavian area and some peoples lack of knowledge about it.. There is no reason to think I was confusing Switzerland with Sweden. Where was Sweden brought into it?
Dont be so literal. Maybe you are from the area and English is your second language. If thats the case, relax, I'm taking the piss out of my culture, not ABBA's.

STOP! MCHammo time.

Mate, seriously, read my posts closely. I was taking the piss about the scandanavian area and some peoples lack of knowledge about it.. There is no reason to think I was confusing Switzerland with Sweden. Where was Sweden brought into it?
Dont be so literal. Maybe you are from the area and English is your second language. If thats the case, relax, I'm taking the piss out of my culture, not ABBA's.
At first I thought you may have been genuinely confused, as Switzerland isn't anywhere near Scandinavia (or Denmark). Sweden is, and some people do confuse them.

That last post was in jest.

Back