Swiss Lager At 19 Degrees, Is This Possible?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DJR said:
If you do a Kolsch or something similarly light and mild flavoured it'll probably go down better than calling something a lager and it isn't totally bland and tasteless like people are used to. Needs lots of sugar to get it to finish as dry as most aussie lagers (and not hoppy either, most are around 15-20 IBU).
I would go the Kolsch route also. I use yeast 2565 at 15C and it gives just a very slight hint of fruit. I think 16C would also be fine.

MCHammo said:
At first I thought you may have been genuinely confused, as Switzerland isn't anywhere near Scandinavia (or Denmark). Sweden is, and some people do confuse them. That last post was in jest.
Yep, quite often sarcasm / humour gets missed on the net. I can see how you might think I didnt know, but I am well aware of the geography. My S.I.L is Danish, and I have travelled through most of the areas mentioned.
For the record;
S189 = Swiss lager
Wyeast 2042 = Danish Lager

This thread, about Swiss lager at 19° was started by a Dane (IIRC)

mckenry said:
Cheers for the advice DJR. Why do you say ignore the temp of the Bohemian? Its listed as 22°, which is good for ale like beers and I want to ferment at around 16 anyway.
I like the idea of a Kolsch too. Hadnt thought of that, but cant get Whitelabs where I am going, but I could find the equiv Wyeast I'd reckon.
And yep, I knew S189 was swiss, but Wyeast only has a Danish - I was just messing around, Kiwi/Aus, Dane/Swiss kinda thing, seeing as I was posting in a Swiss Lager thread.
Like i said the upper temp range is for pseudo ale production. At 15 or 16 though it's probably still OK.

as for kolsch the wlp029 is good from a flocculation perspective, wyeast 2565 is incredibly dusty and hard to settle. Wyeast 2575 if you can find it (it was a seasonal from april-june) is fantastic flavour wise and also settles a little better, that'd be my preference if you can get it, WLP036/WY1007 also does a good job. Even US05 (keep it cold, 16C) makes a decent enough Kolsch with a good recipe.

DJR said:
Like i said the upper temp range is for pseudo ale production. At 15 or 16 though it's probably still OK.

as for kolsch the wlp029 is good from a flocculation perspective, wyeast 2565 is incredibly dusty and hard to settle. Wyeast 2575 if you can find it (it was a seasonal from april-june) is fantastic flavour wise and also settles a little better, that'd be my preference if you can get it, WLP036/WY1007 also does a good job. Even US05 (keep it cold, 16C) makes a decent enough Kolsch with a good recipe.
Thanks,
What was available and what I ended up doing has just been posted to the 'what are you brewing III' thread here

I use wyeast Californian lager 2112 yeast for warmer fermenting but still keeps a lager taste . Great in steam beer, trying it now in an American style pilsner fermenting between 18 to 20 degrees , cool as I can keep it with this warmer weather.

Last three brews I've used S189 at ale temps (17deg). The last two were repitches of 1/2 cup of slurry.
Current batch (schwarzbier) has gone from 1.049 to 1.011 in 2.5 days since pitching.
I'm enjoying the results so far. All three have had either plenty of hops or roast malt, so any off flavours which may be there aren't detectable to me.

mckenry said:
Thanks,
What was available and what I ended up doing has just been posted to the 'what are you brewing III' thread here
Saw this thread and thought I should update. The American lager 2035 at 16deg was a failure. Started off ok, but aged into fruit cup cordial. Ergh. S189 might like it but 2035 doesn't.

mckenry said:
Saw this thread and thought I should update. The American lager 2035 at 16deg was a failure. Started off ok, but aged into fruit cup cordial. Ergh. S189 might like it but 2035 doesn't.
Farrrrk. Just checked on my Dortmunder with 2042 and it is at 18° !!! I forgot to turn the switch on to the fridge after getting it down to 11. I pitched at 11 and it has naturally risen to 18° over 2 days. Very shitty now.
Somebody please tell me theyve successfully fermented 2042 - Danish Lager at Ale temps :( As above the American didnt like it....

Liam_snorkel said:
Bribie_G uses 2042 for his Aussie lagers. starting at 13 and ramping up to 19
I got that advice from a CUB guy. My last one won a gong.

Bribie G said:
I got that advice from a CUB guy. My last one won a gong.
Here's hoping.... Do you reckon pitching at 11 and letting it rise to 18 over 2 days is too quick though?

Back