Swapping Thomas Fawcett For Maris Otter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newbiebrewer

Reaction score
Hi,

I'll be heading down to the local HBS tomorrow to collect my supplies for my first Ag. I rung ahead to see if they had what I needed and they didn't have the Thomas fawcett golden promise malt. A bloke that works there believes it can be swapped for maris otter. Can anyone confirm this or should I just stick exactly to the recipe? (For further clarification see: First AG)

Thanks in advance

Hi,

I'll be heading down to the local HBS tomorrow to collect my supplies for my first Ag. I rung ahead to see if they had what I needed and they didn't have the Thomas fawcett golden promise malt. A bloke that works there believes it can be swapped for maris otter. Can anyone confirm this or should I just stick exactly to the recipe? (For further clarification see: First AG)

Thanks in advance

Maris Otter will give a more distinct malt character than Golden Promise but I can't see why it wouldn't work.

Hi,

Thanks in advance
Mate,
I've made DR Smurto's with both Marris otter and JW traditional...
Both different beers with the diff base malt ...but both very drinkable....
Seeing its your first ag , i'd just go with that and spend the time getting your processess right....
And relax...have a homebrew...you'll be fine !
Cheers
Ferg

I like each of these malts. They are simply different strains of barley. Both are very good, and will make great beer for your first AG.

Although not dissimilar, to me, the Maris Otter gives has somewhat more malty bready like character, whereas the Golden Promise is a little smoother and sweeter in character.

Brew with confidence with either of these Thomas Fawcett malts, or as 4* said, you could try the Bairds Golden Promise.

Hmm I will ask, was more curious as to whether the change in malt might react badly to the hops. What is the bairds like compared to the others?

Just putting a recipe with Golden Promise in it together at the moment. I substituted it for Marris Otter in a recipe calculator and found the OG went up as compared to that with the MO. So GP has a greater yield than MO or is the calculator wrong?

Edit - I read somewhere that winter barley has thicker husks than spring barley and has a higher yield but this would be contrary to the above, GP being spring and MO being winter.

It depends on what the grain specs are set to in the particular recipe DB. In my beersmith halcyon, GP and MO are all the same at 1.038 potential. As are most of the other base malts.

Hmm I will ask, was more curious as to whether the change in malt might react badly to the hops. What is the bairds like compared to the others?

Bairds is scottish malted as is golden promise malt used by Scottish breweries. Maris Otter is the favoured choice of English Breweries. TF is floor malted, Bairds is not. Either way, its like comparing Aussie Ale malt and American Ale Malt. They are different but mianly because of the maltsters, their process and grain variety.

Ive used Simpsons Golden Promise and that was great, infact ive never experienced a bad base malt yet. As pointed out MO is nuttier and GP is sweet. if you use MO over GP you will get a different beer, end of story.

Use GP where possible, infact i'd be more inclined to use pilsner malt over MO to be honest. Purely because its flavour is alot closer (sweeter) to it than MO. ;)

As the Marris Otter is the closest substitute for your brew tomorrow, go for it. It's a great malt and it's what Jamil Z (Brewing Network) uses as his base malt in most of his recipes. As already mentioned it's maltier and more nutty than regular pale malt, very nice. As you're a new brewer you'll want to try both and see which you prefer...maybe try this same recipe again soon substituting the MO for Golden Promise (procured mail order) - make sure to keep a six pack of the first so you can compare once it's got some age on it.

Latest posts

Back