Support Your Local Homebrew Shop !

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I buy all my grain from Craftbrewer and would hate to go back to the days of not being able to buy sacks of grain, it wasn't many years ago !
I also buy some hops, yeast and other bits and pieces from Craftbrewer, Marks Homebrew and Gyphon.

This whole dollar thing is only temporary, the market is now over due for a correction, then the gold price will drop and the US dollar will rise again. I don't think the international spending of a few brewers on this site will affect any of these HBS very much.

Batz

I buy all my grain from Craftbrewer and would hate to go back to the days of not being able to buy sacks of grain, it wasn't many years ago !
I also buy some hops, yeast and other bits and pieces from Craftbrewer, Marks Homebrew and Gyphon.

This whole dollar thing is only temporary, the market is now over due for a correction, then the gold price will drop and the US dollar will rise again. I don't think the international spending of a few brewers on this site will affect any of these HBS very much.

Batz

Listening to an article on Radio National the other day, we are currently in the middle of a 'currency war' with countries that depend on exporting goods to get out of their recession (including the USA) deliberately engineering a lower exchange rate for their currency. China being the main example with their yuan. However I don't see the yanks welcoming a rising dollar any time soon. On a micro level, as we see ourselves, this is already leading to increased exports of Cluster, March Pumps and perlick taps so it's obviously working for them. Hopefully there is going to be a correction as Batz says because this is becoming similar to the Great Depression when countries raced each other to the bottom to see who could become the poorest.

Listening to an article on Radio National the other day, we are currently in the middle of a 'currency war' with countries that depend on exporting goods to get out of their recession (including the USA) deliberately engineering a lower exchange rate for their currency. China being the main example with their yuan. However I don't see the yanks welcoming a rising dollar any time soon. On a micro level, as we see ourselves, this is already leading to increased exports of Cluster, March Pumps and perlick taps so it's obviously working for them. Hopefully there is going to be a correction as Batz says because this is becoming similar to the Great Depression when countries raced each other to the bottom to see who could become the poorest.
Bribie and Batz I agree with what you say/quote 100%, this current situation is great for Australian buyer,s looking at the American market place but at the expense of other Australian industries. I think we lot have been around a bit longer than the average and can appreciate the whole situation a bit better. Having said that I am tempted to head to Vietnam with the Dong so high and help their economy out a bit. :icon_drunk:
GB

Batz

The guy that has predicted majority of the world economic falls and rises, specifically the WFC, also predicted we would be reaching parity IIRC by mid next year and the ability to reach around 1.15-1.20$USD. SWMBO knows the guys name but its beyond me.

:icon_offtopic: :icon_offtopic:

On the subject of exchange rates, with all the currencies in the world you really have to go way back and try to tease out the complex interactions etc, it's like a tangled ball of thread. It's not simply a case of "our crown buys two of your ducats and three of that guy's florins so aren't we clever chaps hey". A quick historical lesson will possible enlighten.

Up until the 1960s Britain and Australia both had the pound. As it happened the Aussie Pound wasn't linked to the Pom pound and when I was lad and more than a few of my schoolmates emigrated to Australia with their parents, it was a bit of a conversation topic that an Australian Pound was worth twenty two shillings (one pound two shillings) and they weren't getting parity. Anyway in the 60s Australia and then the UK went decimal. Australia, South Africa, New Zealand decided to go for the ten shilling (half a pound) unit and called them dollar or rand etc with 100 cents to the unit. The UK decided to stay with the pound unit, with 100 New Pence to the unit.

So if at any time since then our dollar was fetching 50 pence, then we could be seen as 'at parity'. It wasn't that our money was half as valuable or had half the purchasing power of half a quid, just different way of looking at it.
During the 90s our dollar dropped to about a third of a pound, that was bad news for us on holiday but good for the Poms. Now it's worth 62 pence so we are on the front foot again, but really at the end of the day our Currency is now back to what it was in the 1950s exchange wise against the pound.

Look at it another way, when I was a kid - any older poms will recall this - if you said "give us half a dollar mate, I'm skint", you meant a half crown (one eighth of a pound). Because traditionally there were four dollars US to the pound, or two dollars to the Aussie dollar if they had an Aussie dollar in the 50s. Now there are something like one and a half dollars to the pound because the dollar has risen against the pound or the pound has fallen against the dollar.

The dollar has probably been waaaaay overvalued in the past 30 years due to its central nature as the world currency and maybe its rightful place in the world could well be at half what it is now. Many Americans earn twelve dollars an hour and pay half what we pay for petrol and hops and yet have no trouble buying a sensible family home for around $150k in most regional cities, so maybe that's good level for the US dollar to drift down to as Euros and Yuans etc take over much of its prominence as a world trading currency.

Time will tell

and yet have no trouble buying a sensible family home for around $150k in most regional cities

Seriously... Doesn't that give any young bloke out there the shits! I wish my mortgage was somewhere near that mark... <_<

Seriously... Doesn't that give any young bloke out there the shits! I wish my mortgage was somewhere near that mark... <_<
Way off topic :icon_offtopic: but;

American_house_prices.JPG

Yeah, shitholes all over the planet unfortunately :icon_cheers:

noble_park.JPG

Edit: Then there's REAL shitholes :lol:

baltimore_prices.JPG

Just went to daves hombrew in north sydney, nice friendly, helpful guys

I went to my lhbs a week or so ago and said "do you sell Nottingham Yeast?"

His response...

"Never Heard of it"

then he started quoting different types of hops.... I said, no, its yeast.

"Never Heard of it"

lucky I only go there for No rinse and LDME...

I went to my lhbs a week or so ago and said "do you sell Nottingham Yeast?"

His response...

"Never Heard of it"

then he started quoting different types of hops.... I said, no, its yeast.

"Never Heard of it"

lucky I only go there for No rinse and LDME...

Is that Campbelltown DJ?

like the home brew store i visited in moonah has hops/yeast just hanging on the shelf..not in a fridge..

To buy a packet of yeast for me it's a 90k round trip. Or a next day delivery from Ross if I get my order onto their system before 7 am. Figure.

I guess the beer items stocked by most of the small LHBS are just there to pretty-up the place, whilst the core business is da moonshine (certainly true in SEQ, don't know about other states). I was seriously thinking myself of going into "water purification and plant oil extraction" last year and did a lot of background research, but in a fit of uncharacteristic logical behaviour I bought the electric bike instead.

Back