Support Your Local Homebrew Shop !

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I guess the beer items stocked by most of the small LHBS are just there to pretty-up the place, whilst the core business is da moonshine (certainly true in SEQ, don't know about other states). I was seriously thinking myself of going into "water purification and plant oil extraction" last year and did a lot of background research, but in a fit of uncharacteristic logical behaviour I bought the electric bike instead.
The LHBS here is the same, more than half the shop devoted to all things moonshine. Just means being a little more organized, buying in bulk and or taking a trip to a website or club sponsor.

I visited my LHBS the other day. Gas cylinder changeover, some LDME, racking cane. Would not take card for the gas..cash only! whats your take on that?

I visited my LHBS the other day. Gas cylinder changeover, some LDME, racking cane. Would not take card for the gas..cash only! whats your take on that?

The cash went straight in his/her pocket. I'm sure they simply didn't want to burden the tax man with more work.

Probably not the answer I was looking for Goo, but thanks.
If its cash only on a gas bottle, whats going on?

The LHBS here is the same, more than half the shop devoted to all things moonshine.
The two nearest me devote large percentages of the shop to hydroponic tomatoes.

When I once bought some crystal from one of them the bloke says "What's that? Bird food?"

[EDIT: I guess it needs to be pointed out that it is crystal malt I was buying]

Possibly some thing less than legitimate , I guess you are talking CO2 ?
Does beg a question, got me thinking now :blink:
Nev
GB

Yes Nev, CO2

edit.. me thinks maybe something going on with a source... new bottle sealed and capped, just as it should be.
A bit pissed this cash only thing though.

I used to work at a servo a few years back and the delivery driver of a well know LPG supplier used to have a cash thing on the side for his own personal benefit. Something to do with large amounts that are written off as expected losses down the supply chain.

Yes Nev, CO2

edit.. me thinks maybe something going on with a source... new bottle sealed and capped, just as it should be.
A bit pissed this cash only thing though.

I know where I get my CO2 the LHBS isn't actually the place that owns the bottles.... With that in mind i dare say its going directly into their pocket as I did not receive a receipt (not that I asked for one).

It wasn't the shop at Queen Street mate, I'm no-where near Campbelltown - lol

Not quite sure what your on about? I wasnt quoting you....

Edit:

Ahh, I see what you done there. Yes it was the one on Queen Street. Queen Street in Campbelltown. Yours isnt the only Queen Street with a brew shop on it!

Went to my LHBS (well the one that's a little bit further away than the nearest ;)) the other day

Picked up a handful of john guest fittings and more than a few metres of valspar tubing, put in a pre-order for some wyeast

All hops and yeast are kept in a fridge

Grain is available by the sack or by the gram, and there are at least 50 different types

Full range of wort kits and tins, as well as the obligatory moonshine shelves

Noticed they're now stocking all manner of stainless steel fixtures, nice false bottoms, hop screens, large pots with welded nipples, adjustable regulators, burners and malt crushers :)

Was impressed

Go Pat

Went to my LHBS (well the one that's a little bit further away than the nearest ;)) the other day

Picked up a handful of john guest fittings and more than a few metres of valspar tubing, put in a pre-order for some wyeast

All hops and yeast are kept in a fridge

Grain is available by the sack or by the gram, and there are at least 50 different types

Full range of wort kits and tins, as well as the obligatory moonshine shelves

Noticed they're now stocking all manner of stainless steel fixtures, nice false bottoms, hop screens, large pots with welded nipples, adjustable regulators, burners and malt crushers :)

Was impressed

Go Pat

Pat is so good with his service I ordered from him while living in melbourne :) He called back two weeks later when the yeast arrived, fresh and processes it all over the phone. Them, Ross @ CB, Pete in Boronia, John & Paul @ G&G, BB in adelaide.. plenty of awesome HBS I've come in contact with personally, internet, phone... there are some really good ones out there.

like the home brew store i visited in moonah has hops/yeast just hanging on the shelf..not in a fridge..

Moonah, Tas? Yep, dreadful place that is!! The same hops kept on the shelf were about $7-$8 for 25gm. I bought 3 packets and the guy serving me said that was way too much for one brew :( I tried to explain that I was buying (from his store) unhopped extract and that 75gm is really not much at all. Unhopped? What do you mean? :p

It seems to me that the homebrewing scene is changing and that there a great many more retailers and products available then there was before. There are new shops, and long standing shops expanding their range of products and services.
On the other hand there are the merchants that are offering the same trade as they have offered for too many years before...

Latest posts

Back