Supplies

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wavemaker

Reaction score
Gooday all. I live in a provincial city just north of Brisbane. My local brew shop is somewhat limited in what they carry. I understand that, small businesses have to run a tight ship to make a profit. I want to continue supporting them but want to branch out with my brewing. Can some of you recommend some good sites and brew stores. I travel to Brisbane fairly regularly, mostly northside. Any help most appreciated.

National Home Brew in Hervey Bay also have online orders and are very helpful. I have not used Craftbrewer myself.

Craftbrewer FTW - certainly the best shop I've ever seen.

If you have a govia tag, the trip over the Gateway is about 10 minutes from the inner northern suburbs such as Ascot, Northgate or even Chermside if Rode and Sandgate roads aren't chockers.. If you're already on the arterial, keep going and turn off at the shell about 5 minutes after the site of the old toll booths.

wavemaker said:
Gooday all. I live in a provincial city just north of Brisbane. My local brew shop is somewhat limited in what they carry. I understand that, small businesses have to run a tight ship to make a profit. I want to continue supporting them but want to branch out with my brewing. Can some of you recommend some good sites and brew stores. I travel to Brisbane fairly regularly, mostly northside. Any help most appreciated.

How far north mate?

I have a feeling I know which local store you are talking about.

As has been mentioned, if you aren't too far up head to Craftbrewer, just choose a time that wont be too busy, that way you have a chance to ask any questions you might have. Even if it is too far to drive you can always call and get advise before placing an order.

Lord Raja Goomba I said:
Craftbrewer FTW - certainly the best shop I've ever seen.

If you have a govia tag, the trip over the Gateway is about 10 minutes from the inner northern suburbs such as Ascot, Northgate or even Chermside if Rode and Sandgate roads aren't chockers.. If you're already on the arterial, keep going and turn off at the shell about 5 minutes after the site of the old toll booths.
You'll be lucky, about 25 km from northgate to capalaba, like to see that done in 10 minutes..... 150 km/h average speed?

That said they do seem to have a good selection of stuff and if you have to drive a while to get into brisbane then you may as well spend the extra half an hour going southside. Personally I would just get them to post stuff unless you have other things to do on the south as well (go visit carbatec, they are literally 10 minutes up the road and on the way coming in from the north)

chemfish said:
You'll be lucky, about 25 km from northgate to capalaba, like to see that done in 10 minutes..... 150 km/h average speed?

That said they do seem to have a good selection of stuff and if you have to drive a while to get into brisbane then you may as well spend the extra half an hour going southside. Personally I would just get them to post stuff unless you have other things to do on the south as well (go visit carbatec, they are literally 10 minutes up the road and on the way coming in from the north)
Carbatec? Wood working tools?

Maybe it felt like 10 minutes. I was going from Wavell Heights, and the gateway felt like 2 secs and I was there, compared with going over the Story Bridge, through Kangaroo Point, Stones Corner, Coorparoo etc. My missus liked the Westfield at Carindale for a change from Chermside, so we often made a trip from that.

But it was dead quick. Didn't realise it was 25km. I drive that to work each day in Tas, and my missus reckons she can do that in 10m. :blink: :ph34r:

I'd go there, just because I like the shop. Postage doesn't do the same for me.

I drive past two other brew shops on the northside to get to Craftbrewer at Capalaba. That should tell you all you need to know.

I won't mention who they are. Let's just say I make a informed brewer's choice not to shop there. :ph34r:

I agree with you Pommie, the knowledge, the product rang,e and the friendliness of staff, is well worth the trip over the bridge.

Once you get your bulk supplies sorted, CraftBrewer delivery is brilliant. They use Fastway satchels and I get mine the same rate and twice as quick here in NSW than I did on Bribie Island :)

I rarely need to set foot inside a home brew store these days. Once you work out what you want, online ordering is so easy.

You really can't go wrong with either Craftbrewer or National Home Brew . They're the ones I use mainly and their postage rates are excellent and delivery times are so good, that I'm only waiting a couple of days for delivery.

Thanks for the replies. I will make a trip over the bridge next time I'm down and check out CraftBrewer. Given I live close enough I will check out the HB option too.

Thanks lukiferj. Of course I will just stand over the minister for war and finance and tell her she must take me there, watch me drink lots of yummy brews and return me safely to my nest. Only problem with that is they wont serve me beer in the ICU!

pommiebloke said:
I drive past two other brew shops on the northside to get to Craftbrewer at Capalaba. That should tell you all you need to know.

I won't mention who they are. Let's just say I make a informed brewer's choice not to shop there. :ph34r:
I go to a certain brewshop at kedron and have no issues. They're a bit more expensive than one would like and I tend to buy my Hops online now but for convenience and not spending 30 minutes driving to Capalaba (not to mention the 7 bucks each way for tolls) the slightly higher price is workable.

manson81 said:
I go to a certain brewshop at kedron and have no issues. They're a bit more expensive than one would like and I tend to buy my Hops online now but for convenience and not spending 30 minutes driving to Capalaba (not to mention the 7 bucks each way for tolls) the slightly higher price is workable.
If it works for you that's great. I didn't want to hijack the thread with "Let's knock the retailer" but since you brought it up, let's just say I've had more than one instance of woeful service from that establishment and I vote with my dollars.

Gateway is just over 4 bucks each way for a car. Given the vast range, expert advice and faultless customer service available at Craftbrewer I consider it money well spent.

Back