Supermarket Kits

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bowie in space

Reaction score
I've bought all my kits and bits from the LHBS, but this morning I was at my local supermarket and saw some kits for 5 bucks. The coopers mexican cervesa and canadian blonde, cascade spicy ghost, and a couple of tooheys (i think the stout and dark ale).

I think they're clearing the range so this might be a bargain. I always add my own hops, grains and malt to my kits, so what I wanna know is can you make anything decent from these kits? I'm a bit sceptical on the quality, because i've always paid more for my kits. I've used the morgans, black rock, brewcraft and coopers premium selection kits for all my brews so far. I want to move into extract soon but $5 looks good.

Any comments?
Cheers
Bowie

Grab 'em as much as you can afford.

Check the dates on them but they will make a good base for futures beers. Not corona fan so i would miss those but definety the coopers and cascade's are good bases. If your doing kits and bits I guess you have the capacity to boil a can goop which will strip some of the flavours/hops out to give a good base for anther brew!

I say go for it!

my 2c

Buy the lot, chuck the yeast (particularly that Cascade bohemian shite) and use them as cheap goo....

what shop was this... might be worth a stop over!?

the mexican and blonde make good bases to add stuff to, very low IBUs

suspect they are old cans, definitely toss the yeast

would be worth doing a twocan... $10 brew!

Just got back from the shops and bought 4 different kits for $20! I remember swinging beef's post about the cervesa kit he recently did, so i'll give that a go. SWMBO has been bugging me to do a mexican.

Bought the euro lager, canadian blonde and cascade spicy ghost. I intend to read up on boiling the kits to them strip back and add things to my base. Always good to snap up a bargain :D

Seemax-shop is my local at Point Cook, so a bit far for you i suspect. Plus the dates on each can say they're valid for at least another 12 months. Not too many kit brewers out this way perhaps...

My next step is to re-use the yeast slurry, so i can save more money. This is another new thing that i'll have to read up on.

Cheers for the responses!
Bowie

those canadian blonde kits are quite good for kits and bits. seem to be a bit better quality (and slightly bigger?) than the others.

+1 for the Canadians. I've been using Coopers Lager in my partial 'fake lager' brew but want to use my own bittering hops rather than the isohop in the tins so I'm trying a Canadian when I brew next week, a nice neutral goop that I can tweak with my preferred flavours.

what shop is this from!!??

The coles at sanctuary lakes, point cook. There were heaps there this morning.

Just went out there and bought last two spicy ghosts, last canadian blonde and got a couple of european lagers ******* bargain!!!

Hey i am sure something can be done with it, i wont just make as is!

+1 on the Mex Cerveza - and I recommend this for any kit brewer. Make your stout from this, not a stout can - control your process and learn more and make better beer.

I am waiting on some bits and bobs to go AG BIAB and have been thinkging about getting some of these cans myself to get the stocks up.

ED: good find too Bowie

Back