Super-important beer question

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TimT

Reaction score
Do dark beers make you pee less?

Possibly because they tend to have fewer hops in them?

Just thinking about my stints at my usual watering hole, the Dan O'Connell - when they have dark beers on tap (my preferred drop) I tend to go to the dunny less.

Yes I'd say you do go less and I pee a lot with lighter beers, once started I call it "piss per pint time"

I think you need to put some decent research into this..

step 1.
Go to the pub, eat a bloody good steak, side serve of chips and perhaps a dessert while drinking dark beers.
Note down the type of beer, the time purchased and the time finished.
Note down the time and duration of any piss you have had.

step 2.
Repeat EXACTLY step 1. while consuming lagers/pale ales.

step 3. post results as this is a very important study.

My other thought was, as it was a hot day, I was just sweating out the alcohol.

The only reason that dark beers may make you piss less (that my knowledge of physiology can come up with) is that you drink them less quickly resulting in a smaller quantity of water that your kidneys have to deal with.

I can't imagine hops having too much to do with it.

I know if I drink lighter styles they tend to do down like water, while I tend to sit on heavier browns, stouts and porters a bit longer. If i'm having a session on darker beers I reckon I'd go about 25% slower than if on an easy going pale ale. Nothing scientific in this, just a guess.

JD

No this was pretty much my usual amount of beers in my usual amount of time. Two chocolate porters and a saison, all pints.

I was speculating it was the hops; a lot of brew herbs seem to be mentioned to have some diuretic qualities - and not just because they're in alcohol, which is itself diuretic. Separate to the alcohol and, presumably, enhancing the diuretic qualities in the alcohol itself.

Isn't there a maximum rate the body can process alcohol? Surely this is the limiting factor, not the colour of the beer?

Dark beers having less hops...I dont think so. Not in my brewery anyway

Rob.P said:
I think you need to put some decent research into this..

step 1.
Go to the pub, eat a bloody good steak, side serve of chips and perhaps a dessert while drinking dark beers.
Note down the type of beer, the time purchased and the time finished.
Note down the time and duration of any piss you have had.

step 2.
Repeat EXACTLY step 1. while consuming lagers/pale ales.

step 3. post results as this is a very important study.

I think you'd need to fit in identical starts to day as well, time of rise, identical breakfasts etc, time of last leak prior to going to pub to set up a baseline upon which to look at your results. Time to put a research team together here I reckon.

Ok so the liver is what breaks down the alcohol in your body, this is why chronic alcoholics often lay get liver disease.
So you don't actually sweat the alcohol out (sweat is mainly made up of water).

Your body contains a lot of water (about 50 to 75% of your body is water).
Alcohol is a diuretic like caffeine, (a diuretic promotes urine production).

Alcohol inhibits the production of a hormone called ADH (anti diuretic hormone) by the pituitary gland, this causes the kidneys to stop reabsorbing water therefore more urine out of the kidneys and into the bladder which triggers the need to pee! And less water back into the body leading to dehydration.

Dehydration the leading cause of the hangover, not inuf water in the body can causes headaches and nausea.

So the answer to the question is dark beers probably don't make you urinate less because it is alcohol that triggers increased urine production.

Hope this helps!

The last post mite need some fine tuning, but I'm pretty sure that's basically how it works.

Latest posts

Back