Super-dry Ale techniques/advice plz

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cooked rice is a good idea but rice when cooked expands and can be a bit of a pain to mash.

One other possibly helpful point, higher L:G favour dryer more delicate beers, somewhere around 4-5:1
Dry enzyme added to the mash really makes the whole process quicker and easier. Spending the dollars to order a S-34/70 would I believe be money well spent. S-23 is pretty good foe alt beer but doesn't really preform in very dry beers.
I also think pitching a lager yeast hot is a big mistake, google up the manufacturers instructions and follow them, but be warned Lager yeast hot can throw a bunch of esters. Commercially Lager is usually pitched a couple of degrees below the ferment temperature, just to supress flavours that we don't want in lager.
Mark

MHB said:
One other possibly helpful point, higher L:G favour dryer more delicate beers, somewhere around 4-5:1
Dry enzyme added to the mash really makes the whole process quicker and easier. Spending the dollars to order a S-34/70 would I believe be money well spent. S-23 is pretty good foe alt beer but doesn't really preform in very dry beers.
I also think pitching a lager yeast hot is a big mistake, google up the manufacturers instructions and follow them, but be warned Lager yeast hot can throw a bunch of esters. Commercially Lager is usually pitched a couple of degrees below the ferment temperature, just to supress flavours that we don't want in lager.
Mark
Wyeast have a whole bunch of of reasonably high attenuating yeast strains, I am sure you can find one without resorting to using a 3rd party enzyme, Sorry, but I make a lot of lager beers and have never seen the reason to resort to 3rd party enzyme to make a dryer lager beer.

As far as cooked rice goes, in my post I suggested cooking to a mush. If you add it to the mash straight afer mash-in, the enzymes in the malted barley will quickly convert it so you don't have a stuck mash problem or a sparge problem. From experience here.

Any thoughts of using another base malt? I know Pils is light in colour but does contribute that grainy sweetness. Maybe diluting Pils with sugar etc might negate problem?

It doesn't matter how highly attenuateive a yeast is, unless there is fermentable sugar there to ferment. I fully accept that there are lots of ways to skin the cat, the OP however said he wanted to use 100% malt.
Adding Amylase to the mash (especially an exogenous one with a wide temp range) simply provides more non-reducing ends for the Beta Amylase to chew on and gives a higher ratio of fermentable sugars in the wort, resulting in dryer beer than you can get without using adjuncts or enzymes.

Good trick is to add 10% malt to any rice (or other unmalted adjunct), start cool and heat slowly the Glucanase and Protease in the malt will help with the liquefaction of the adjunct. Helps prevent stuck sparges to.
Mark

**** it, I'll play a couple of early rounds of golf this weekend and brew next weekend instead.

MHB said:
It doesn't matter how highly attenuateive a yeast is, unless there is fermentable sugar there to ferment. I fully accept that there are lots of ways to skin the cat, the OP however said he wanted to use 100% malt.
Adding Amylase to the mash (especially an exogenous one with a wide temp range) simply provides more non-reducing ends for the Beta Amylase to chew on and gives a higher ratio of fermentable sugars in the wort, resulting in dryer beer than you can get without using adjuncts or enzymes.

Good trick is to add 10% malt to any rice (or other unmalted adjunct), start cool and heat slowly the Glucanase and Protease in the malt will help with the liquefaction of the adjunct. Helps prevent stuck sparges to.
Mark
Sorry to cut in here but you are plainly wrong here. Amylase IS an enzyme. You are adding an enzyme irrespective of it's origin.
Amylase is an enzyme!

I'm sorry but I can't see where you have provided any information that shows that MHB is "plainly wrong".

Please Explain?

Lyrebird_Cycles said:
I'm sorry but I can't see where you have provided any information that shows that MHB is "plainly wrong".

Please Explain?
MHB said

Adding Amylase to the mash <sniip> without using adjuncts or enzymes.

I only used enzyme when the fg was too high on an IPA. Post ferment.
It was an attempt to correct. FG = 1.022, should be 1.012. and it went totally the other way and bottomed out at 1.000.
Just saying. Only used the enzyme once and that's the results you get. Interesting stuff though considering I had a IPA with a FG= 1.000 and it was not bad beer it was like all my beers really. The dry aspect can be over rated. Residual sugars are also over rated. I prefer dry than heavy body sweet.
Its a balance with lower calorie and carbs if preferable. Especially when you can still get that maltyness and head retention and good stuff.

labels said:
MHB said

Adding Amylase to the mash <sniip> without using adjuncts or enzymes.
IMO your "sniip" (sic) distorts the meaning of the sentences you have quoted.

Might be worth reading what MHB posted again.

Brewing on Sat, I've decided to stick with an Ale. Some fruitiness isn't a problem. Pils and a tidge of wheat. Will use US05 @16dC, mash at 62, 5% beer with .5% being corn sugar added, will use enzyme as well

Then I'll brew again and pull the enzyme, then the corn and compare, maybe splitting the batch with w34/70

Taking it as far as I can then bringing it back is the plan

Latest posts

Back