Sunshine Coast Holiday - Help

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Salt

Reaction score
Hey team,

Well the pregnant Wife and I are off on holiday (which I am told is called a babymoon!?) to the sunshine coast to escape the cold weather in NZ. We fly into Brisbane, but are staying 9 nights up in Mooloolaba and 1 night back in Brisbane before we fly out.

In any case, whilst I am there, I will no doubt be looking for somewhere to a) have a few nice craft beers at a pub, B) buy some nice craft beer to take back to the hotel to enjoy and c) hopefully buy some hop pellets to take back to NZ with me.

I will have a rental car for the entire trip so can travel, but prob cant justify to the wife travelling any great distance to fulfil these needs.

Can anyone please help me out here? Are there any good Craft Bars, or Bars that dont just serve megaswill around Mooloolaba? Any breweries in the area? What about takehome - any good bottle stores? And finally, are there any good LHBS that stock hops that will be fresh and handled well? Wouldnt mind getting my hands on some Aussie Hops or any US ones we cant get in NZ atm...

Cheers in advance!
Mark

Baby moon? Had not heard of one till just a couple of weeks ago when my Missus was wanting to go on one, she's due at the start of December , exciting times. I take it yours will be doing the driving?
Can't recommend the Sunshine Coast Brewery bar and restaurant enough. It is on aerodrome rd maybe 10m north of mooloolaba. Great range of beers and good service. Try the rye esb, sensational. Also pub style food with a twist.
SCB beers are hard to come by takeaway though, if you call Greg the owner you maybe able to line something up. Otherwise Dan Murphy's at kawana has a decent range. There is also a spot up at maleny (maybe) that does some craft beer? Someone on here more local might have some info.

In Brisbane get over to Ross at craftbrewer. Big range of microbrews on tap, and a range of hops second to none. Roughly in the area of the airport, but well worth the diversion.
SCB and CB are musts i reckon, Plenty of smaller bars scattered around brisy, not so much the sunny coast. Enjoy!

Edit: extra info

You are staying in the perfect place, the Beach Bar in Mooloolaba has just started to stock craft beer, whilst they only have a couple available now, I have it on good authority that there will be Holgate Mt Macedon APA on tap very shortly....

Ben and Ryan are great blokes and with no one else on the sunny coast doing craft, I reckon they will do well.

I think potof4x meant to say "CAN" recommend the Sunshine Coast Brewery Bar, great lunches as well and a car park behind the retail block. edit: I now see that he qualified it with "enough". Slow brain day. :p

20120717_133444.jpg

20120717_132532.jpg

20120717_140057.jpg

There's a Dan Murphy down the road from M'ba which has a good range of Aussie Craft beers that you wouldn't probably get in NZ. If you purchase from Ross online and allow a couple of days for courier he could satchel you up some pellets as long as the hotel is pre warned. :)

BTW if you want to drink and not drive the Sunbus service is fairly good, there are a couple that run from M'ba to Maroochydore bus station which is just over the road from the Brewery Bar. Hotel can give you a timetable.

You are staying in the perfect place, the Beach Bar in Mooloolaba has just started to stock craft beer, whilst they only have a couple available now, I have it on good authority that there will be Holgate Mt Macedon APA on tap very shortly....

Ben and Ryan are great blokes and with no one else on the sunny coast doing craft, I reckon they will do well.
last time I checked Beach Bar had 4 Pines Pale ale (amaz), S&W pacific, White Rabbit white ale.

any idea of a time frame for the holgate Dan? I work just down the road from there...

Also +1 on the SCB bar. the food is amazing as well as the beer.

Just a thought, where are you staying in Brisbane for your last night? If it's handy to the Airport then it's also handy to Craftbrewer who are about 20 mins away on the OTHER side of the Gateway Bridge and quite direct to get to the store. Remember to prepay a toll across and back. I can put up a map here if that's what you would like to do.

Thanks lads, this is exactly the kind of info I was after...I like being prepared...when it relates to beer anyway!

Sunshine Coast Brewery will be a most definite, looking forward to a few pints and some food there already. Thanks for the pics Bribie!!!

Looks like the Beach Bar and Grill is about a 500m walk from the hotel, another definite.

We are staying the night at Rendezvous Hotel/Apartments before we leave and google tells me this would be about a 30min drive out to Craftbrewer, so will hopefully have time on the Sunday to head out there before we leave early Monday morning.

Looking forward to trying some aussie crafties...we dont get a hell of a lot over here to be honest. Little Creatures and Fat Yak is about all I've seen...So hopefully i've got a chance to sample of few more to see how the industry compares to over here!

Thanks once again...great info!
Mark

Aarrgh Craftbrewer are closed on Sundays - but as you are up there for a week on the coast I'm sure Ross will be able to courier up some supplies. You can even order and pay right now and they will keep your order in the cold room to be dispatched when you require it. There's a "special instructions" box at the end of the ordering process where you can specify where and how you want the order to go to.

Aarrgh Craftbrewer are closed on Sundays -

whaaaat? no offence intended, but even my small LHBS in a city of a 100K is open on Sundays...whats up with that? Mind you I always knew Aussie was way behind NZ :D

No worries will sort something out for sure!

Thanks for the heads up!

Mark

whaaaat? no offence intended, but even my small LHBS in a city of a 100K is open on Sundays...whats up with that? Mind you I always knew Aussie was way behind NZ :D

No worries will sort something out for sure!

Thanks for the heads up!

Mark

When I was in Wellington a couple of years ago it struck me immediately that the place seemed 10 years ahead of Brisbane - not to mention the supermarkets full of booze as well. Poor old Ross deserves one day off a week. :lol:

When I was in Wellington a couple of years ago it struck me immediately that the place seemed 10 years ahead of Brisbane - not to mention the supermarkets full of booze as well. Poor old Ross deserves one day off a week.

Haven't you got anything else to do with your time ATM Bribie? :lol: :beer:
Poor old Ross has two days off a week: Sunday AND Monday.

Just to stay on-topic ------ Would love to have a beer at with you at SCBBAR Salt but am unavoidably detained painting the house for SHMBO (Sometimes ;) ).

Latest posts

Back