Summit

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danwood

Space left intentionally blank
Reaction score
Pedigree
Cross pollination of Lexus and an unspecified male; derived from numerous plants including Zeus, Nugget and male USDA varieties

Brewing Usage
Bittering

Aroma
Distinct spice, earthy, onion, garlic and citrus (pink grapefruit, orange and tangerine) tones

Possible Substitutions

Typical Beer Styles
  • IPA

Additional Information

Bred at the American Dwarf Hop Association in the United States and released in 2003

Storage Stability
85% alpha remaining after 6 months

Alpha Acids
16.0 - 19.0%

Beta Acids
3.3 - 6.0%

Co-Humulone
26 - 33%

Total Oil
1.5 - 2.5 mL / 100g

Myrcene
30 - 50% of total oil

Humulene
15 - 25% of total oil

Caryophyllene
10 - 15% of total oil

Farnesene
< 1% of total oil

General Trade Perception
A great late addition hop
MOD: Post edited by Lord Raja Goomba I, original post below:

I've just been boiling up 1oz Summit (1.5 litre water) as an experiment at the end of a brew day.

I've heard some reviews of the variety as having a garlic/onion slant to it....SHIT YES !!

Be a little careful with this one, in my humble opinion.

In this very vigorous boil, over 15 mins, my whole house smelled like I was making a lasagne, or other garlicy recipe.

It does have a grapefruit/mandarin quality...but during this intensive test that was eclipsed by the garlicy tones.

The hops were super fresh form Yakima Valley Hops...not doubt about the quality IMHO.

Just thought I'd share...

Dan

Sounds like Chinese hops. :ph34r:

be interesting to hear other peoples reviews.

I have half a pound of Summit myself, but after trying Mikkeller's Summit IPA, I am now scared to use them... not a great tasting hop, imo. I didn't get anything garlic from it though, more medicinal - like cough syrup vibes...

Also tried the Green Flash Imperial IPA on tap today @ The Terminus in Clifton Hill, I guessed Summit from the taste and smell, and from the little research I did online today, sounds like I'm right. It was quite nice in the Green Flash, along with Nugget... to the strength of 100IBU (allegedly). From this beer I got more grapefruit vibes than I got in the Mikkeller... I'm not familiar with Nugget, so not sure what this brought to the table.

I know Cocko brewed a SMASH with Summit and wasn't happy with the outcome.

I've just been boiling up 1oz Summit (1.5 litre water) as an experiment at the end of a brew day.
I'm puzzled by this experiment... did you just throw the concoction out once boiling was done?

I reckon you could make a decent APA with it by dialling back the Green Flash Imperial IPA recipe... if you can find it.

I wonder how it would go as a substitute for Centennial?

Yeah that description is certainly off-putting. Keep us posted with what you do with it.

Reading on US forums results are really mixed, people making awesome beer with it one batch and onion beer the next. Really strange. Some people suggest using it only for bittering and/or aroma stops any onion flavour, the onion also seems to fade with time if you get it.

I'll still crank out an apa of some sorts with it.... but it just moved waaaaaay down the to brew list.

I'm puzzled by this experiment... did you just throw the concoction out once boiling was done?

I vac my hops in 2oz/56g packs and only used half a pack alongside Cascade and a touch of Nelson Sauvin in an AIPA.
Couldn't be bothered re-sealing it and I've been wondering about the original point since I bought the Summit.
I like Summit, but it might only take a slightly heavy hand to bring out the onion character.
And, yes, I threw it out. 70 IBUs is plenty in my AIPA, and I didn't fancy that off flavour anyway.
Maybe a very intense boil brings it out ?

I find it's great in my Shallot and Oyster Dubbel.

Oh oh. Guess what I am using right at this moment...

And guess where I got it from. (thanks dan)

i'm doing

20g @ 20 min
20g @ 10
12 @ flameout

Will report back how it goes.

I should say I have used it in an APA with Cascade in competition and didn't get any onion remarks.
That was Pale Ale Mania comp, Melbourne. It was used in moderation and I think enhanced the profile quite well.
It placed exactly mid-table, and other malt related faults were high lighted over the hops.
I don't want to put anyone off Summit, just be careful. I'm certainly no expert, but I might err from extended boil times with it in future.
Mine is 16.8AA, so larger and later additions might be the go ?

I know Cocko brewed a SMASH with Summit and wasn't happy with the outcome.

I am not the best at describing flavours but I know what taste shit.

Summit.

That said, I have never thought that a bittering hop really affected the flavour enough to care what I use..

I brewed my house APA which is about 3 years in so have it down to a fine art - Bittered with summit instead of chinook and the difference was noticeable, to say the least.

So, in my brief experience with it, and as spiesy said - I did a smash with it to find out what it was about...

Flavour alone = NA!
Flavour combo = May work, could work with Cents or Amarillo if done right - no experience here tho..
Bittering = smooth, first time I have experienced/noticed a 'smooth' bittering hop, due to knowledge and experience with the recipe.

Anyway, 2 the far gone cents!

\m/

I liked it in the Mikkeller. Used a fair bunch with Centennial in an American Barleywine and am loving it. Good hop I reckon.

I have a batch of 2011 Summit from Niko. When I first opened the sealed pack, massive onion aroma to the point I wondered what the hell I was going to do with it all. None of the onion came through in the beer though, the flavour I got was citrus / grapefruit with something sharper and higher if that makes any sense, almost like pineapple. I liked it, and I'll keep using it for now.

Must be one of those hops that varies a lot between crops / farms. I only tried Simcoe once and don't know if I will again. All I got was the taste of shallots which I like in carbonara sauce, in beer not so much.

Carlsberg says: Beer with an onion-like off-flavour is found to contain two unusual sulphur compounds: (1-methylethyl)-thiirane and 2-mercapto-3-methyl-1-butanol. The off-flavour is attributable to the latter, previously unknown compound. The methods used are: extraction of beer with trichlorofluoromethane, GC analyses of extractives and reference compounds, using a sulphur sensitive flame photometric detector, and GC-MS. Both of the new sulphur constituents are synthesized and their structures ascertained by NMR and MS.

http://www.springerlink.com/content/94v0qk1m3262v5q7/

Slightly unrelated, but when I was in Berlin last October there was hops flowering all over the city, huge bushes in parks, along railway lines and even outside night clubs.

I have smelt a few of them and they all smelled very distinctively of garlic.

Always wondered what they would taste like in a beer, but as I don't brew in Germany and can't take them back thought I'll never find out.

Might try some summit now :lol:

Carlsberg says: Beer with an onion-like off-flavour is found to contain two unusual sulphur compounds: (1-methylethyl)-thiirane and 2-mercapto-3-methyl-1-butanol. The off-flavour is attributable to the latter, previously unknown compound. The methods used are: extraction of beer with trichlorofluoromethane, GC analyses of extractives and reference compounds, using a sulphur sensitive flame photometric detector, and GC-MS. Both of the new sulphur constituents are synthesized and their structures ascertained by NMR and MS.

http://www.springerlink.com/content/94v0qk1m3262v5q7/

Too much refrigeration with CFCs?

I have a vague recollection of an off-hand comment on the BN that the onion/cat-piss flavors from Simcoe are the result of the hops being left on the bine a little too long. It increases the alpha but begins to produce the undesirable flavors. It could be the same with summit.

Latest posts

Back