Summit

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am not the best at describing flavours but I know what taste shit.

Summit.

That said, I have never thought that a bittering hop really affected the flavour enough to care what I use..

Good to know you have changed this opinion.

There is a ipa recipe on home brew talk where the dude says his Summit and Amarillo is the best ever and it took him many attempts to get it. With other combos not hitting the mark. For me it was mouth puckering tangerines which I thought was very different. Maybe in a lager?

I am not the best at describing flavours but I know what taste shit.

Summit.

That said, I have never thought that a bittering hop really affected the flavour enough to care what I use..

I brewed my house APA which is about 3 years in so have it down to a fine art - Bittered with summit instead of chinook and the difference was noticeable, to say the least.

So, in my brief experience with it, and as spiesy said - I did a smash with it to find out what it was about...

Flavour alone = NA!
Flavour combo = May work, could work with Cents or Amarillo if done right - no experience here tho..
Bittering = smooth, first time I have experienced/noticed a 'smooth' bittering hop, due to knowledge and experience with the recipe.

Anyway, 2 the far gone cents!

\m/
Cocko - so you would use it as a bittering hop in general (a bit unsure from your post)???? I've got a truckload of the shit ...
cheers
BBB

Cocko - so you would use it as a bittering hop in general (a bit unsure from your post)???? I've got a truckload of the shit ...
cheers
BBB

A garlic/onion flavour. Should make it into an Ale then have an Italian night with heaps of garlic bread. No one will pick the flavour as coming from the beer, just think its part of the cuisine.

Summit Bread, Now there is a thought.

Drew

A garlic/onion flavour. Should make it into an Ale then have an Italian night with heaps of garlic bread. No one will pick the flavour as coming from the beer, just think its part of the cuisine.

Summit Bread, Now there is a thought.

Drew

Ah the gauntlet is thrown ... and I shall take on that challenge. I will do a spag bog beer ..... or has someone already beat me to it.
BBB

Good to know you have changed this opinion.

Agreed, I welcome it.

cheers
BBB

I will be using it in my house APA for bittering from now on, that is for sure - the rest of the recipe is all centennial and cascade and it works well....

Will I bitter anything with it? No. Thats what I am saying - changing from chinook to summit as a bittering hop in my house APA, which is a beer I know better than my own hand! = I could taste it and it was a 'smoother' bittering than chinook... First time ever I have noticed switching up bittering hops! Sad really....

Sorry BBB, thats all I have, I only post from what I know... and I also know, dont brew a smash with it!

Cheers! :icon_cheers:

Hops can (as noted earlier) dispaly an onion or garlic character esp. when fresh.
Olfactoractors group smells, for example milk, cheese, yoghurt and even sour cream fall into the lactoregonsa grouping and onions, leeks, garlic and you guessed it hops fall into the aolilupungic grouping.
Summit is (derr) a high alpha hop but does have high co-humulones as well, I understand from friends its a damn fine bittering hop.

K

Agreed, I welcome it.

I will be using it in my house APA for bittering from now on, that is for sure - the rest of the recipe is all centennial and cascade and it works well....

Will I bitter anything with it? No. Thats what I am saying - changing from chinook to summit as a bittering hop in my house APA, which is a beer I know better than my own hand! = I could taste it and it was a 'smoother' bittering than chinook... First time ever I have noticed switching up bittering hops! Sad really....

Sorry BBB, thats all I have, I only post from what I know... and I also know, dont brew a smash with it!

Cheers! :icon_cheers:
Thanks Cocko - care to share your house APA recipe???
BBB

Thanks Cocko - care to share your house APA recipe???
BBB

Sure mate, a very simple APA, nothing special:

Note: grain bill often swings depending specialty stocks, carapils, carared etc..

Hopping never changes. Hop addition times are ACTUAL, allowing for NC to bitter it more..

Anyway, another APA...

Screen_shot_2012_09_11_at_11.56.09_PM.png

A spag bog beer..... When people say summit tastes like sh*t I don't think that's what they had in mind.

:icon_offtopic: Just for fun I am going to do this with a small 5L batch. I'll chuck the spag bog into the boil at about 10 mins and see what happens.
BBB

Sure mate, a very simple APA, nothing special:

Note: grain bill often swings depending specialty stocks, carapils, carared etc..

Hopping never changes. Hop addition times are ACTUAL, allowing for NC to bitter it more..

Anyway, another APA...

View attachment 57095

Thanks Cocko. I have no centennial - sub with chinook maybe???

:icon_offtopic: Just for fun I am going to do this with a small 5L batch. I'll chuck the spag bog into the boil at about 10 mins and see what happens.
BBB

Once mine arrives i think I'll do a few 1 litre test runs with ldme. Do a 60 minute only, 20 minute only, 5 minute only, and a 60/20/5 addition one. Ferment them in 2 litre soft drink bottles with Us05, bottle in a longneck and have a tasting session a few weeks later. Good excuse for a drink.... Maybe i should make it six tallies....sure the last couple would taste ok then :p

Thanks Cocko. I have no centennial - sub with chinook maybe???
Cocko's APA is very, very nice.

Cocko, what are your thoughts of subbing Summit with Centennial?

Bada Bing - really, the Centennial and Crystal combo is a large part of this beer.

Cocko's APA is very, very nice.

Cocko, what are your thoughts of subbing Summit with Centennial?

Bada Bing - really, the Centennial and Crystal combo is a large part of this beer.

Thank you kind sir.

Do you mean, sub Centennial with Summit? Or bitter with Centennial?

What size is the batch Cocko?

Work on the percentages and batch size is irrelevent. If it is an odd batch size at say 57L and you brew 40L then the batch size info is no good to you. Brewing software can cope with %'s.

You'll need more info than that to replicate his beer.

For these same reasons we would ask how many g/L do you use at flameout or dry hop with. The actual number of grams he uses is relative to his batch size, if your batch size is different you'd use different amounts of hops. We'd also want to know what yeast he uses at what temp, what temp he mashes at and for how long, what OG he aims for, what FG (not important if you know the mash temps), what IBU's he aims for (given that he is no chilling he expects higher IBU's and thus puts fewer hops in).

Ah heck, my advice is, just ask him for the FULL recipe.

YAH, just specify the % of grains and % of hops per recipe. Easy to scale. Don't escalate this argument again, just do it. Easy as. Or. Sumfink. Ahem.

Latest posts

Back