Sukumaran and Chan

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Australias second largest trading partner in the middle east is Saudi Arabia, around 1.1 billion per year. A country that still executes citizens for such heinous crimes as homosexuality, adultery and witchcraft, just to name a few.
Nobody's out there calling Salman bin Abdulaziz a ****, not like Joko Widodo, what a cold asshole that bloke is. Why aren't we jumping up and down, withdrawing our ambassador and closing our Saudi embassy in disgust?
Do you imagine we might boycott exports New Zealand if that's how they rolled? Is a gay Arab man's life worth less than an Australian ex-drug dealer? What a load of double standard horse shit.

I hate to echo the conservative tones of 'these guys new what they were doing', but you cant argue with the facts. Let them off the hook, and the precedent has been cast that Indos hard drug laws - right or wrong - can be circumvented if subject to enough lobbying and treats.

As they say, all life's a wager. These blokes took the punt and rolled snake eyes. Now their loved ones are left paying their debt.

And is it to obvious to notice, with the exception of China, countries who still employ state sanctioned murder also tend to be the most religious - and vice versa.

Dont agree with the death penalty but they knew the consequences and paid the price- so be it.
But for fucks sake Abbott you clown, even if the Indo government were arrogant show pony ***** about the whole episode, killing off our political relationship with our closest neighbour, one of our biggest trading partners and the worlds 3rd biggest population over 2 drug smugglers is ******* stupid- even for you.

Droopy Brew said:
Dont agree with the death penalty but they knew the consequences and paid the price- so be it.
But for fucks sake Abbott you clown, even if the Indo government were arrogant show pony c*nts about the whole episode, killing off our political relationship with our closest neighbour, one of our biggest trading partners and the worlds 3rd biggest population over 2 drug smugglers is ******* stupid- even for you.
I'm not sure you got your point across, anything else you need to get off your chest :D :D :D

Droopy Brew said:
But for fucks sake Abbott you clown, even if the Indo government were arrogant show pony c*nts about the whole episode, killing off our political relationship with our closest neighbour, one of our biggest trading partners and the worlds 3rd biggest population over 2 drug smugglers is ******* stupid- even for you.
Must be an extremely awkward situation for a government I'd imagine when a third world country whos economy / infrastructure you've been pumping to the tune 250 million odd per year wont do you a solid.
I can just imagine Tony slamming the phone down, grabbing a few pencils from the cup in his desk and snapping them in half.

Abbott is playing the popular card, purely to save his own ass. He will do anything to get the masses to like him

.001 of a gram is a cap. 1 cap = 1 hit.

8.7kg of heroin is 870,000 hits of heroin that would have been on our streets. 870,000 potential victims, millions of potential victims' families and friends paying the cost, they showed no remorse upon doing this and would not have shown any remorse for the loss of the families of those victims.

This was not Harold and khumars first go either, it was there third run, so how much did they bring back on the first two?

They got more than they deserved. Our government trying to stop it was ridiculous. People sooking and wining about it is ridiculous.

Claiming to have found Christ is a total crock of shit. Claiming to have been rehabilitated is a total crock of shit. Six months and they would have been doing it again.

Honestly there not even worth remembering with discussions such as this.

Peace.

Ducatiboy stu said:
He will do anything to get the masses to like him
This bloke seems happy enough.
Maby he needs a national 'left hook Tony day'? (public holiday or course).

tony-abbott-oxford-punch-004.jpg

In other news, 5000 people died in an earthquake in Nepal this week. But, they're not Australian, so they don't matter.

Dave70 said:
This bloke seems happy enough.
Maby he needs a national 'left hook Tony day'? (public holiday or course).

tony-abbott-oxford-punch-004.jpg
Best advertisement for the need of head gear I have seen.

It's widely accepted that the death penalty doesn't work as a deterrence. Drug syndicates will always be able to find someone stupid enough or desperate enough to be a mule.
Indo had a moratorium on the death penalty and looked like moving towards abolishing capital punishment along with the rest of the civilised world. The AFP wouldn't have gifted these arrests to them if they had thought there was a possibility of Australian citizens being executed. This was made clear at the time. These executions are more about keeping up appearances as being tough on drugs (within Indonesia) rather than actually doing anything about the problem.

“Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

bookers said:
I'm not sure you got your point across, anything else you need to get off your chest :D :D :D
Yes in fact, I dont much care for Lagers. Ahh, better.

AndrewQLD said:
While it's all very well blaming the AFP for doing their job this guy deserves a lot of the blame as well http://www.news.com.au/world/asia/bali-nine-execution-fallout-barrister-bob-myers-says-afp-has-blood-on-its-hands/story-fnh81fz8-1227326038120

What kind of a Barrister is so ignorant of the law that he dobs in someone who hasn't done anything yet and hopes that the federal police will break laws and policies to stop a family friend from travelling overseas.

Lets face it, if he was defending someone who had been detained under those circumstances you can guarantee he would be crying false arrest and abuse of police process.
7. Policy for cooperation with foreign law enforcement agencies
The AFP is required to consider relevant factors before providing information to foreign law enforcement agencies if it is aware the provision of information is likely to result in the prosecution of an identified person for an offence carrying the death penalty.

Senior AFP management (Manager /SES-level 1 and above) must consider prescribed factors before approving provision of assistance in matters with possible death penalty implications, including:
 the purpose of providing the information and the reliability of that information
 the seriousness of the suspected criminal activity
 the nationality, age and personal circumstances of the person involved
 the potential risks to the person, and other persons, in providing or not providing the information
 Australia’s interest in promoting and securing cooperation from overseas agencies in combatting crime
 the degree of risk to the person in providing the information, including the likelihood the death penalty will be imposed

From the AFP's own guideline, "AFP National Guideline on international police-to-police assistance in death penalty situations "

I don't agree or condone with capital punishment, but I think it's disrespectful of our Government to be grandstanding and pressuring a foreign country to alter the outcomes of a legal trial that follows the laws of said country.

It's a can of worms, no doubt. I wouldn't feel the same about the Government stepping in to defend someone accused of adultery and stoned to death - there's a lot of grey here.

Spiesy said:
I don't agree or condone with capital punishment, but I think it's disrespectful of our Government to be grandstanding and pressuring a foreign country to alter the outcomes of a legal trial that follows the laws of said country.

It's a can of worms, no doubt. I wouldn't feel the same about the Government stepping in to defend someone accused of adultery and stoned to death - there's a lot of grey here.
Yet the Indonesian government have a team that lobby and pressure foreign governments, "to alter the outcomes of a legal trial that follows the laws of said country", for their citizens who are on death row in other countries (even for drug offences)

Every country lobbies other countries for its own best interests, usually regardless of its own behavior. Take the U.S. pressuring other countries about climate change. Or Australia for that matter.

Spiesy said:

In that instance, even if the accused was put to death in the most humane fashion possible, no grey there for me. Theocratic barbarism in full gallop. Why is the world at large not saying enough's enough?

We're fortunate indeed to live in a society where one can, even if you punch and kill some random passer by, plea bargain murder down to a lesser offence and spare all concerned the hassle of a trial and be out in 5 five good behavior.
Another grey area that I find black and white.

The law truly is an ass.

Droopy Brew said:
Are you just making that shit up or did Koshi say this on the 'Good morning Sunrise Womans Day Show'? They are not one of our biggest trading partners. They arent even in the top 10. They're 12th, and our 11th largest export market. They make more from us than we do from them. They might be the worlds third biggest population at 250 million, but even New Zealand, with their tiny 4.4 million are worth more $ as a two way trading partner to us.
Killing off political relationships can be precarious, but with the backing of the civilised world, we hold the cards here. We are worth ~$10 billion income to them. They are worth about $6 billion to us.
I am not pro Tony, but I believe he has handled this well.

Ducatiboy stu said:
Abbott is playing the popular card, purely to save his own ass. He will do anything to get the masses to like him
A little one-eyed there aren't you?
http://www.news.com.au/national/breaking-news/labor-leaders-condemn-executions/story-e6frfku9-1227325971941
Looks like Shorten has also gauged the public attitude and is playing the popular card.

they are all tarred with the same brush

LABOR will push the federal government to take further retaliatory action against Indonesia in response to the executions of Andrew Chan and Myuran Sukumaran.

OPPOSITION Leader Bill Shorten said it was important Jakarta understood Australia's outrage against the "senseless" executions overnight.
"We will talk with the government in coming days about other responses," he told reporters in Melbourne on Wednesday, adding Labor supported the decision to recall Australia's ambassador.

Latest posts

Back