Sukumaran and Chan

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The death penalty is completely murder. If you do X we have the right to kill you! - NO ONE has the right to take another's life.

That said, laws [apparently] create a more civil society - if that is the countries laws, do the crime do the time...

Blah Blah Blah......

The media hype has us all talking/typing about it, depends what talk back, paper or news show you listen to, to influence the view you have been fed on it.

Kill the ******* media I say.

Really? Strapping kilos of H to you is a common young mans error? In a country that has the death penalty?

Well, I guess education and up brining is now to blame.

No I'm not suggesting it's just a young man's error.
I'm not sure people need to be so self righteous is all. Maybe I'm just not into black and white.
On one hand we have young, dumb fuckwits who think about as far ahead as the next street and see an easy way to make cash and live the good life. Consequences not considered, whether their own or the poor/stupid/whatever saps that take the stuff .
On the other you have very explicit laws and punishments for such crimes, possibly superseding the punishments for arguably far worse crimes.
In the middle, you have the whole war on drugs vs legalisation debate, coupled with the morality of capital punishment.
Not something I believe an intelligent person can summarise as 'suffer you morons, get off my news channel'.

By all reports they have been rehabilitated, accepted and embraced a faith. If so, there is every probability they have a reasonably accepting frame of mind for what is going to happen and have made peace with their maker.

Living under a death sentence for 10 years will cause any 21 year old to grow up real quick. As far as 'they knew the consequences', if I recall correctly I supposedly knew the potential pitfalls of much that I did at that age but it didn't stop me doing seriously idiotic shit....I recall reading somewhere that at that age blokes haven't developed a 'comprehension/recognition/consequence' thoughjt process, which makes us stupidly 'fearless' which is why at that age we are ideal cannon fodder. For the likes of the main man behind them who did get off scot free. Mere sacrificial pawns, as is usually the case in circumstances such as this. Send off a couple dozen, if I lose a few then the profits the others generate still net me a decent quid.

They knew what the penalty was. I couldn't care less for them. Hope they get it over with soon as I am sick of hearing people whinge about it in the media.

i'm just happy my teenage children and their friends didn't get exposed to the drugs they where trying to import.

It;s not like they were trying to bring in a big bag of weed.

Weed, alcohol all good. Alcohol is a harmless drug after all.
Bet you'd all cry if a 20 yr old home brewer in saudi got imprisoned for ten years, then shot through the face and chest.

Yes they should have been smarter.

Not that different. Hell, people swim in crocodile infested waters, despite the signs. No surprise when they get eaten but I don't need to be glad or have zero empathy for them or their parents.

smokomark said:
i'm just happy my teenage children and their friends didn't get exposed to the drugs they where trying to import.

And I agree with you totally there...but the damage caused to those of your/my children's generation by either themselves or parents caught up in compulsive gambling is just as great...and the govt. will NEVER give up on that little pony. And it's entirely legal. I still go back to the 'self at 21 ' test for capability to make sensible and rational decisions based on all available evidence....some can, fewer can't.

manticle said:
So much hate for 21 year olds doing something stupid.
Guess we're all fucked.

manticle said:
No I'm not suggesting it's just a young man's error.

Not something I believe an intelligent person can summarise as 'suffer you morons, get off my news channel'.

Well you sort of did suggest that.... anywho, agree with you.

I think it is not a case of get off my news channel but more so, media should be a little careful with their influence and their desire for rating etc.... the 2 prisoners parents were near crushed today by media while trying to see their own child prior to losing them by execution. Anyway, this isn't about the media, it is about what we know form the news....

I mean, it is about if someone should make the decision that another person should die, I mean, it is about if you break a law whether you should pay the penalty, I mean... Well, I don't know what I mean. I just wanna brew beer - is that illegal here?

I'm just glad home brewing is legal here, otherwise we'd all be in the "Aussie Home Brewers, distillers and Crystal Meth Cooks" website.
The death penalty is state sanctioned murder. And in this instance it's murder for no greater reason than some great political desire to "save face" and appear "tough on drugs" to what is seen as the last bastion of European colonialism in the region.

I reckon there are far bigger things to get in a tanty about. No candle light vigils by the PM etc for rape/murder victims on our home soil, who were innocent. Not saying I believe in death penalty but I think the actions and responses from our government over this is way out of proportion to their efforts on other matters.

While it's all very well blaming the AFP for doing their job this guy deserves a lot of the blame as well http://www.news.com.au/world/asia/bali-nine-execution-fallout-barrister-bob-myers-says-afp-has-blood-on-its-hands/story-fnh81fz8-1227326038120

What kind of a Barrister is so ignorant of the law that he dobs in someone who hasn't done anything yet and hopes that the federal police will break laws and policies to stop a family friend from travelling overseas.

Lets face it, if he was defending someone who had been detained under those circumstances you can guarantee he would be crying false arrest and abuse of police process.

smokomark said:

If you don't think your teenagers can get any drug they want, then you're severely ignorant. If you think that prohibition is an effective deterrent to the availability of drugs, you're severely ignorant.

If you teenager has $50 and either a friend or an internet connection; if they want heroin, they can get it.

Also as for 'drugs' I would happily argue that other than Methamphetamine, Alcohol is easily the most destructive drug there is. So unless you're a teetotaler, you might want to get down from your high horse.

AndrewQLD said:
While it's all very well blaming the AFP for doing their job this guy deserves a lot of the blame as well http://www.news.com.au/world/asia/bali-nine-execution-fallout-barrister-bob-myers-says-afp-has-blood-on-its-hands/story-fnh81fz8-1227326038120

What kind of a Barrister is so ignorant of the law that he dobs in someone who hasn't done anything yet and hopes that the federal police will break laws and policies to stop a family friend from travelling overseas.

Lets face it, if he was defending someone who had been detained under those circumstances you can guarantee he would be crying false arrest and abuse of police process.
No amount of scrubbing will remove the blood from his hands.

Back