Suitable Materials For Insulation Kettle?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Inge

Reaction score
Just a quick question - what materials would most effectively insulate my kettle during the boil. I am using a converted 50L keg, and I want the boil to be as efficient as possible. I wasn't particularly keen on the idea of having a camping mat so close to my 3-ring burner.

Does anyone insulate their kettles? If so what do you use?

Unless it is a legally acquired keg, and they are available, then I suggest a good lawyer.

K

gday

looking into this at the moment myself....

thinking i will use insilation bats

you can get the rockwool that is rated up to 300 degrees C and has a foil cover on one side

cheers

Electric kettles, go ahead and insulate...gas fired kettles. fahgeddabowteet !
It's kinda like using a cigarette lighter to see if your fuel tank is full.

I wont worry then. I'm fairly certain that the old burner pumps out a bit more than 300 degrees :)

Cheers for the help guys :icon_cheers:

Try something like this Link "exhaust wrap"

They are generally rated to a continuous temperature of 1100 degrees calculus or up to 1500-1600 for short periods of time.

If you didnt wrap to the very bottom of your kettle you should be fine

:icon_offtopic: Fuel tanks dont explode exposed to a naked flame.To quote "urban myth " Myth Busters .LOL.Seriously why insulate a kettle? Sounds more like a lack of heating on a home brewing scale.Most of your heat is lost up the sides of the kettle or the lack of adjustment of burner to kettle hight.If the bottom of the kettle is sooty then you need to adjust.
GB
Edit:

i want to insulate my hlt and mash tun soon both r 50lt keggles looking for a good insulation any ideas??

:icon_offtopic: Fuel tanks dont explode exposed to a naked flame.To quote "urban myth " Myth Busters .

Still :icon_offtopic: I know a guy who had to wear a burn suit for ~2yrs who might disagree. He was doing some angle grinding on the legs of some overhead fuels tanks (layed on their sides in a workshop, reportedly empty for some time). But I'll agree Fuel tanks in cars very rarely explode when exposed to direct flame, it's why you're often safer to stay in your car when a bushfire comes round....but then know of some truckies who might disagree with that too.

Anyway, to me, insulating your kettle just doesn't sound like a good idea. Sure it's going to keep the heat in, same can be said for when you try to cool it down as well.
I remember hearing from a guy a while ago that the way they test fireproof material is to lay it flat and apply the naked flame. As long as it only smoulders and doesn't ignite, life is good. The fact that this material was applied to vertical walls and in that case the flame had an edge to work on and the damn stuff near exploded in flame just wasn't an issue as far as the standard was concerned. That was a couple of years back, perhaps things have got better. But if you really want to save the trees, hug a hippy and all of that, I'd be subjecting any potential insulation to a flame test to satisfy your self that it is safe to use.
Though I guess if it catches on fire, that's probably going to save you more gas...right ?

Back