Substitute

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dogshampoo

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Got the chubby cherub pack from coopers recipe of month,

1.5kg Thomas Coopers Amber Malt Extract
1.5kg Thomas Coopers Light Malt Extract
500g Light Dry Malt
2 x 25g Chinook Hop pellets
25g Cascade Hop Pellets
25g Nelson Sauvin Hop Pellets
11g Danstar BRY-97 Yeast (or American Ale yeast of your choice)

Finally got round to brewing it and they have sent me no cascade hops but a extra chinook , is this going to be overkill on chinook, as it will be 75 grams,

And should I re activate the Bry-97 or can I just sprinkle on top, ill be pitching at 18deg

have you tasted it before? i bloody love chinook so i'll reckon it'll be amazing. but that's my taste. if you want to know what chinook tastes like, try a Tower 10 IPA. i believe it's mostly chinook.

Tower 10…………. :icon_drool2:

I concur with fletcher, chinook is great and whilst you may not get the (all be it mild) complexity by missing the cascade, going all chinook and NS will not hurt a bit, it should be a nice beer !

UB

Rehydrate the yeast as per instructions

Agree about Chinook, we went our separate ways for a while but we're seeing each other again now.. Yum

Chinook plays well with cascade but is very different.
Very piney, very resinous. Cascade is grapefruit and orange.

You will need to adjust amounts for bittering from initial recipe.

Hey DS
Rehydrate the BRY-97 as Yob suggests. This is the only yeast I have rehydrated, I've heard a lot of people have experienced slow starts with this one, mine behaved the same as others I've used.

I've got an ale down at the moment with BRY-97, sprinkled on top, seemed to start no problems, knocked off 3 points in under 24 hours; 3 days in its fermenting away nicely, sample today was clean and about mid way to finished but sitting at 17c so that will be slowing it up a little. I had never used it before and thought about rehydrating but reality is most dry yeasts the manufacturer says rehydrate or direct pitch, they don't seem to prefer either way.

Don't fear the chinook, but personally I'd be using something a bit more neutral for bittering and leaving the chinook for later.

After a few Young Henry's Oktobyfest's, all I can add is
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eswQl-hcvU0[/media]

Oh. also, Stone's Arrogant ******* is all chinook... :icon_drool2:

Like Yob, Chinook and I seperated a couple of years ago, recently, however the passion has reignited

Back