Styrian Goldings

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What do you think of this hop?

• 5 - Produces a nectar of the gods

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4 - Pretty good

• 3 - Take it or leave it

• 2 - Not so bad I guess

• 1 - Vomit worthy

• 0 - Never tried this hop

• Total voters
I've dry hopped with styrians a few times, mainly in a big Belgian beer I make but also in an IPA. I love them anywhere in a beer - early, late and dry.

My dry hopping rate is always 1g/L

Right. I've had this experience with dry hopping in the keg before, its always resinous and super pungent on the nose for the first couple of days. Just didn't expect it from what I was thinking would be a 'subtle' hop at that dosage rate...

Good to know that my dry hopping rate with this hop wasn't totally crazy...

My dry hopping is a little different as I'm a bottler. I dry hop with 3-5 dyas left of cold conditioning, rack to bulk prime (so most hop debris is left behind) then bottle. That may make the difference.

I 'keg' dry hop about that amount in my Timothy Taylor Landlord clone, and love it. :p

It can be a bit out there for the first few pints for some reason, but it settles down quickly enough.

batz

I 'keg' dry hop about that amount in my Timothy Taylor Landlord clone, and love it. :p

It can be a bit out there for the first few pints for some reason, but it settles down quickly enough.

batz

Ah ok, that's good to know. That is pretty much exactly what I was hoping to hear. I assume it has something to do with the actual hops themselves being so close to the dip tube? Will try my best to leave it til sunday when hopefully it will be pouring clear!

interesting .. I tried aurora and didnt get that much from it so have gone back to styrians...

I chucked in 15g of Styrian (flowers) as keg dry hopping in a (not particualrly great) TTL clone.
First few days was a big blackberry hop thing happening. A week later, nothing much really. 2 Weeks later, nothing.

So strange the different flavours people pick up from hop. People tell me they get earthy spice from styrians - I just get orange and mandarin (heaps of mandarin - love it).

@jbowers: Is this a beer you are submitting to British ales (which is on Sunday) or is that just a coincidence?

IMO there's Styrian and there's Styrian (... plus Aurora and Bobek too! :D ). Depends on the particular batch, so which year, which grower/ supplier (not to mention blending), which form (i.e. plugs or pellets), even how they have been handled- lumping them all together as "Styrian" is not really that helpful as there is enough variation to introduce the sorts of variance we've seen in this thread alone. Styrian probably isn't the best example as it doesn't seem to be quite as variable, but case in point is NZ Willamette flowers- more recent stuff (through just one supplier) is very ordinary for aroma whereas the previous crop was just awesome. I guess it may pay to be specific about which crop and %AA, then there's a chance that we're all talking about the same stuff.

My stuff is mainly ellerslie 'bobek' at 3.5% aa, forgotten which crop.

Have used others similarly with similar results but buy bulk from ellerslie in the main.

Really want to try this hop now. Sounds like an interesting set of reviews.

So strange the different flavours people pick up from hop. People tell me they get earthy spice from styrians - I just get orange and mandarin (heaps of mandarin - love it).

@jbowers: Is this a beer you are submitting to British ales (which is on Sunday) or is that just a coincidence?

Manticle,

I'm at Oscar's competing on Sunday, although certainly not in the running, just doing it for the advice/experience. I have an under pitching/under oxygenating yeast issue, I fear.
So long as the Holgate ESB/something similar is on tap, I'll drown my sorrows.

My ESB is with the Styrian also, so close to Fuggles !

I'm the Brit Melbourne Brewer with the wife in tow, if you're around on the day

Ellerslie sell Bobek and also Slovenian Goldings as "parallel" products, so the plot thickens :p I'm going to put a healthy whack of Aurora from CB in my SuperLandlord which I cubed last night and see how that goes.

Interesting read I found while looking for The Entire Hop Geneology Tree on the internets ... that doesn't exist (and would take a week or two to put together if anyone feels like playing Sherlock).

http://www.calferm.org/edu/hops/Pedigree.htm

Of particular interest is the hop bine growing at Richard Fuggle's house and what the Yugoslavs actually grow. :D Also a good description of Cantebury Goldings and it's offspring and how the Yank hops are essentially different due to having Humulus americanus as their granpappy.

Nah, got caught up with stuff and forgot to enter. Would have loved some feedback on it!

Latest posts

Back