Styrian Goldings

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What do you think of this hop?

• 5 - Produces a nectar of the gods

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4 - Pretty good

• 3 - Take it or leave it

• 2 - Not so bad I guess

• 1 - Vomit worthy

• 0 - Never tried this hop

• Total voters

Stuster

Big mash up
Reaction score
A hop from the renowned hop producing country of Slovenia :blink: , Styrian Goldings. So what can you tell us about this hop? How do you use them - bittering, flavour, aroma? What kind of beers have you used them in? What hop combinations are they good for? Are there any commercial beers available here using this hop? Any other tips for using this hop?

Tell us all you know so we can all make the best beer we can. :chug:

Info from here.

Styrian Goldings (Slovenia)
An ecotype of Fuggle grown in Slovenia. Also known as Savinja Golding.
Characteristics
Aroma: Delicate, slightly spicy
Cone Structure: Medium -compact, fairly small light cone
Lupulin: Moderate amount, pale yellow

Acid Composition
Alpha Acid: 4.5 - 6.0% w/w
Beta Acids: 2.5 - 3.5% w/w
Co-Humulone: 25 - 30% of alpha acids

Oil Composition
Total Oil: 0.5 - 1.0 mls/100 grams
Myrcene: 27 - 33% of whole oil
Humulene: 20 - 35% of whole oil
Caryophyllene: 7 - 10% of whole oil
Farnesene: 3 - 5% of whole oil

General Trade Perception
A world-renowned aroma hop with widespread usage in both ale and lager brewing.

Other Information
The old traditional favorite of Slovenia. Also well-established in English brewing as Fuggle.

I love this stuff. Although I think I ODd on it a couple of years ago.
I think it works best in a combo with something rounder (much like Fuggles does). Tett+Styrian, EKG + Styrian, saaz + styrian, etc.
great for dryhopping bitters.

I've also made some tasty beers with the NZ Styrian.

never tried it in a lager, although i know it is used in lagers? Would like to try a 100% styrian pils one of these days.

I often use it in my Belgians, doubles and tripels.

Nice hop

I've got a bitter on tap at the moment that is a combo of NZ and Slov Styrians. Have to second what NM says. It's probably better in conjunction with another hop.

The impression I always get from it is orange rind marmalade with some early vanilla.

Warren -

Huge fan of this hop! :beerbang:

Really nice smooth creamy hop character in bitters. I've used Slovenian stuff mainly but have tried some beers made with the NZ stuff and they have been top class. Its a staple for me these days.

Fantastic hop for dry hopping ales - Beautifully fragrent & spicy.

The NZ variety give an added twist... they start off imparting a vanilla taste which changes after approx 1 month into a delicous spicyness - Both stages are great - Love this hop :super:

cheers Ross

I must try it in a bitter again. I made a Landlord clone with this and that's put me off it in English styles. :( Sounds like dry hopping with it would be a good choice.

Love it in Belgian styles. Used in a few different styles and it seemed to work in all of them.

NOT a fan....! :eek:

:lol: just joking... others will know its my most favoured hop. I use it everywhere in bitters, with dry hopping being my main use. The plugs are just plain yummy. ive used it in a wit with B saaz aswell, which worked great and also used them 100% in a belgian spiced ale (with G of P).

I've also used the NZ flowers and was quite surprised, they have more early vanilla than the slovs, but were great too.

Definately cant go wrong with this hop..! very versitile and full of flavour

edit: I just voted 5 :D

Its not often I take a keg of beer to a party and bring it back with beer left. But the keg of golden ale, 100% styrian goldings came back with a fair bit left. Its a great hop, but you can certainly use too much for my taste, gets an overly strong vanilla/perfume/spice flavour. Although that certainly improves if you leave it a while. But its a confrontingly different flavour if served up to the masses. Used late in moderation with some EKG for flavour its great.

I have used this hop once, and had a similar experience - the vanilla/spicyness was too much and put me off.
I have some flowers in the fridge though and will give them another go soon.

I tried this hop in a pale ale a few months back and I was really surprised and impressed with the result.

I used Pride + for bittering and finished with Styrian Goldings plugs including some at flame out.

I would describe it as having a pleasant lingering marmalade flavout....very nice

The plugs I used were from the 05 season and I am hanging out to get more from the last season, but havent seen any (plugs that is) available yet.

Has anyone noticed any marked difference between the pellets and the plugs with this hop?

Cheers
BB

I've only ever used the Slov plugs and NZ flowers. Come to think of it, i dont think i've even considered pellets, just because the plugs are so nice late. Perfect for keg hopping!

Are there any commercial beers available here using this hop?

While not having the data to hand to give exact examples it's my understanding this is one of the main hops of choice for the Belgian brewing industry...

Goes well in a sour orange beer is all I can say...

Love the Styrian Goldings.
I religiously use them for bittering in Aidans Irish Red, with Herbrucker for flavour and aroma.
Took me many brews to get that beer to where I wanted it, and the Styrian Goldings were key. If I don't have any in stock, I won't brew the beer.

Beers,
Doc

Are there any commercial beers available here using this hop?

It may not be a certain, but the main reason i first trialled this hop was that it is said to be used late in TTLL. I love both Styrian and TTLL, so you never know.

It's used in conjunction with Saaz in Duvel and probably loads of other Belgians for that matter. You'll struggle to detect it in them though through it being used sparingly.

I got my best results by using 8 plugs of it in my hopback when I did a Belgian Pale earlier in the year (42 litres). The finished beer was nothing short of stunning. :beerbang:

Warren -

Also in a couple of other UK ales you can get here - Youngs Golden Zest, Deuchars IPA.
Murrays Sassy Blonde has a pretty clear Styrian flavour too.

I also believe Styrian is used in Moretti la Rossa??!

Isn't it in Fullers London Pride? Or am I getting confused with another variety? Regardless, its not the sole hop variety in that beer anyway so there are probably better commercial examples...

i thiink london pride has got a mix of progress, challenger, target and goldings or something like that

Back