Styrian Goldings

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What do you think of this hop?

• 5 - Produces a nectar of the gods

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4 - Pretty good

• 3 - Take it or leave it

• 2 - Not so bad I guess

• 1 - Vomit worthy

• 0 - Never tried this hop

• Total voters
London Pride is Target, Challenger and Northdown.

Explains why it's so nice. :beerbang:

Warren -

here's a recipe from a whiles back that turned out great using the NZ flowers...

Hackney 16
Brew Type: All Grain Date: 28/03/2006
Style: Special/Best/Premium Bitter Brewer: Dowdy
Batch Size: 24.00 L Assistant Brewer:
Boil Volume: 35.08 L Boil Time: 80 min
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.0 % Equipment: KoNG's Brury
Actual Efficiency: 69.3 %

Ingredients Amount Item Type % or IBU
5000.00 gm Pale Malt, Maris Otter (Thomas Fawcett) (5.9 EBC) Grain 92.6 %
350.00 gm Crystal Malt - 60L (Thomas Fawcett) (118.2 EBC) Grain 6.5 %
50.00 gm Chocolate Malt (Joe White) (750.6 EBC) Grain 0.9 %
17.00 gm Northern Brewer [11.00%] (60 min) Hops 23.3 IBU
40.00 gm Styrian Goldings [5.60%] (20 min) Hops 8.5 IBU
40.00 gm Styrian Goldings [5.60%] (1 min) Hops 4.2 IBU
0.50 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
5.00 gm Epsom Salt (MgSO4) (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
20.00 gm Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs SafAle English Ale (DCL Yeast #S-04) Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile Estimated Original Gravity: 1.050 SG (1.040-1.048 SG) Measured Original Gravity: 1.049 SG
Estimated Final Gravity: 1.013 SG (1.008-1.012 SG) Measured Final Gravity: 1.013 SG
Estimated Color: 22.3 EBC (9.9-31.5 EBC) Color [Color]
Bitterness: 35.9 IBU (25.0-40.0 IBU) Alpha Acid Units: 2.3 AAU
Estimated Alcohol by Volume: 4.8 % (3.8-4.6 %) Actual Alcohol by Volume: 4.7 %
Actual Calories: 460 cal/l

London Pride is Target, Challenger and Northdown.

Explains why it's so nice. :beerbang:

Warren -

Ahh, that's right! Was a familiar bunch but just couldn't remember the exact ones! B)

Well as an ardent fan of Fuggle,and Willamette, I can't believE it took me so long to get around to trialing this hop.
Made an IPA with 100% Styrians and found it to be a little soft in the bittering stakes(40IBU) and to subtle in the flava up against the Chewy malt base.Couldn't see what all the hype was about.

Then I made a bitter with 90% GP,5%Maize,5%Crystal.Willamette for bittering and flava and a big belt of Styrians for flava/aroma.1968 yeast.36 IBU
WOW! what a spicy nose and finish.the usual subtle orangey marmalade undertones, but with a pungent spiciness that has faint hint of gingeriness(in a subtle ginger ale type way,not overt like ginger beer).
What a top hop!

Dave

I love Styrians in combination with EKG for Bitters and ESBs. I have normally used it as a bittering or up to 15m before flameout hop, with EKG for dryhopping. I like it too in a 1:3 ratio with EKG for dryhopping English Ales. I prefer it to fuggle as I can get it fresh (off the kiln), because it's grown here in Tassie. Fuggle are imported, and the flavour has been for me more variable.

MFS

Reading this has got me halfway convinced to trying NZ styrians for a brew.

Anyone care to compare em to the real thing?

.....Styrians seem to add a subtle 'juicyness' i just can't put my finger on....would love a kilo or two in the freezer....

.....Styrians seem to add a subtle 'juicyness' i just can't put my finger on....would love a kilo or two in the freezer....

I'm hearin ya.......I loved the real thing! Just curious as to how the NZ ones stack up alongside.

I use the Styrians as a flameout addition for my landlord clone. At 1.5g/L its as subtle as a brick to the head, far too hoppy for a TTL but sooooooo nice nonetheless.

Have some plugs in the freezer to compare them to the pellets. Also have a Deuchars IPA pencilled in which uses Styrian for both flavour and aroma. Cant wait!

Cheers
DrSmurto

With Saaz eh? Like in Duvel you say?! I have some of those knocking around, I feel a recipe coming on... :beer:

28 grams of Styrian Goldings flowers dry hopping in this in this English Bitter

Smells Green apples

Pumpy :)

DSC03776.JPG

My garden looks like the top of your demijon Pumpy.
just brewed on the weekend... and chucked in 4 plugs at 10 minutes and 8 plugs at 5 minutes. YUM.

Reading this has got me halfway convinced to trying NZ styrians for a brew.

Anyone care to compare em to the real thing?
I have used some of the NZ Styrian Flowers in a strongish porter/brown but it is still conditioning.
I added the NZ SG at 20 and 5 minutes from flameout. Yet to try the beer but will report
back.

Kiwi Porter

2.00 kg Weyermann Munich I (15.8 EBC) Grain 32.3 %
1.95 kg Bairds Marris Otter (5.0 EBC) Grain 31.5 %
1.45 kg JWM Export Pilsner (3.9 EBC) Grain 23.4 %
0.40 kg Bairds Dark Crystal -120L (236.4 EBC) Grain 6.5 %
0.30 kg TF Pale Chocolate Malt (500.4 EBC) Grain 4.8 %
0.10 kg TF Amber Malt (100.5 EBC) Grain 1.6 %
12.00 gm Southern Cross 07 [15.90%] (60 min) Hops 22.3 IBU
7.00 gm Pacific Gem [17.80%] (60 min) Hops 14.6 IBU
30.00 gm NZ Styrian Goldings 07 [4.40%] (20 min) Hops 5.2 IBU
20.00 gm NZ Styrian Goldings 07 [4.40%] (5 min) Hops 1.7 IBU
1 Pkgs London Ale (Wyeast Labs #1028) Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.060 SG
Bitterness: 43.8 IBU
Est Color: 46.2 EBC

C&B
TDA

Styrians in a sweet stout. Anyone tried it? Results?

:)

Should go nicely in a sweet stout or a Northern Brown etc.

Hey what's happened to TDA - missing in action since November, hope the guy is ok and still drinking. :)

Hey I see TDA is online at the moment. Didn't get hijacked back to the Yemen or whatever.

:)

Hey all,

Have just dry hopped a keg of TTLL with 20g of Styrian (thought that was a safe amount to put in the keg...). It's turned it in to a resinous hop bomb! The aroma almost reminds me of something like simcoe or chinook in it's spicyness, but perhaps only because the types of beers ive smelled which have been this fresh in their hop character have been american.

Anyone else dry hopped with Styrian Goldings and found it to be an absolute beast in the aroma (and even flavour!) that it gives off?

My beer needs to be good to go by Sunday, and at the moment is significantly hoppier than I think a Best Bitter should be..... By contrast, my APA dry hopped with 25g Cascade if very meagre in aroma when held side by side...

What sort of amounts do you guys normally dry hop english style beers with in the cask/keg? Coming from brewing primarily American styles, I thought 20g would be somewhat subtle...

I've dry hopped with styrians a few times, mainly in a big Belgian beer I make but also in an IPA. I love them anywhere in a beer - early, late and dry.

My dry hopping rate is always 1g/L

Latest posts

Back