Style Of The Week 27/2/08 - Weizenbock

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
HE-111

Fermentables
Ingredient Amount % MCU When
German Dark Wheat Malt 4.000 kg 53.7 % 7.0 In Mash/Steeped
German Munich Malt 3.000 kg 40.3 % 4.4 In Mash/Steeped
German Caramel Wheat Malt 0.250 kg 3.4 % 3.0 In Mash/Steeped
German Chocolate Wheat Malt 0.200 kg 2.7 % 20.2 In Mash/Steeped

Hops
Variety Alpha Amount IBU Form When
German Tettnang 3.9 % 50 g 16.7 Loose Pellet Hops 60 Min From End
German Hallertauer Mittlefruh 3.9 % 28 g 0.0 Loose Whole Hops At turn off
German Hallertauer Mittlefruh 3.9 % 13 g 0.0 Loose Whole Hops At turn off

Yeast
WB-06

This is my dunkleweizen but you get the idea. No pils is this baby ;)

Just for the record, how much wort went into the fermenter - 30 or so litres?

One of my favourite styles for sure. :beerbang:
Eurotrip_375.jpg
Had two of these Aventinus's at the Schneider brewpub/resturant in Munich earlier this year...my god its easy to drink and hits you like a brick!

Has anyone had an aged bottle of weizenbock by chance?
I've got a few bottles of a batch I brewed in 2006 lying around, and from memory they've aged quite nicely.

:icon_offtopic:

Has anyone taken this to the next level and made a weizen eisbock?
Thanks for the reminder, Jye.

I have lined up the fridge of a fellow brewer who made an accidental Eisbock, so we know we have a fridge that'll do the job.

Maybe for the next NSW Christmas case swap. I just need to get a heap more 500ml bottles. I know the standard is 750ml for a case swap, but if it's concentrated to 2/3 volume, I see 500ml as the right size. Case swappers could dilute it back to 750ml if they want to whinge about volume. :lol:
I reckon that 1/2 a litre of 12% wheat ale will do the job for anyone, even if they were weaned on Ruination IPA. :icon_cheers:

I think it's important to remember to calculate the bitterness for the final volume (after removal of the frozen water), or you'll end up with a beer that's 1.5 times the bitterness (if concentrated to 2/3 volume). An unbalanced Eisbock is not a good thing, I'd imagine.

I trust this is not too off-topic...???

Les out :p

I think it's important to remember to calculate the bitterness for the final volume (after removal of the frozen water), or you'll end up with a beer that's 1.5 times the bitterness (if concentrated to 2/3 volume). An unbalanced Eisbock is not a good thing, I'd imagine.

Good call on the bitterness, I guess if you brewed a weizenbock with bitterness at the low end of the scale then after freezing you should be right in the middle for style.

I should be brewing mine in the next few months, just in time for winter :p

Jye,
keep me a taster of it please :)
You've also got me tweaking my weizenbock recipe - I really like the look of Jamils recipe/beer :icon_drool2:

In the spirit of this thread, (and because we've run out of aventinus at my work) I'm going to brew one of these tomorrow.

Waiting for confirmation from oh_its_brad regarding the recipe, but I'm thinking about...

3kg Weyermann Wheat
2.5kg Weyermann Dark Wheat
3.2kg Weyermann Vienna
0.4kg Weyermann Dark Munich
0.2kg Weyermann Carafa I
0.2kg Weyermann CaraMunich II
0.15kg Weyermann CaraMunich III

1.074 in 25L at 65% Eff

Fermenting with Wyeast Can/Belg (Unibroue) at 18-19C

Bittered with something noble to 23IBU's

And having read a recent issue of BYO we're going to try a double mash. Exciting!

OK here is the revamped recipe I've come up with-

Drunken Weasel
Weizenbock

Type: All Grain
Date: 22/08/07
Batch Size: 25.00 L
Brewer: Perry Burt
Boil Size: 28.62 L Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: My Equipment
Taste Rating(out of 50): 35.0 Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.0
Taste Notes:

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
5.00 kg Wheat Malt, 60.6 %
2.50 kg Pale Malt, Traditional Ale 30.3 %
0.25 kg Pale Chocolate Malt 3.0 %
0.25 kg Munich Malt - 20L 3.0 %
0.15 kg Caramunich lII 1.8 %
0.10 kg Melanoiden Malt 1.2 %
25.00 gm Hallertauer, New Zealand [8.50%] (60 min) Hops 16.5 IBU
10.00 gm Hallertauer, New Zealand [8.50%] (60 min) Hops 6.6 IBU
0.50 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs WB-06 (DCL) Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.079 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.062 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.022 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.005 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 7.4 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 7.4 %
Bitterness: 23.1 IBU Calories: 576 cal/l
Est Color: 21.5 SRM

Recipe we actually brewed was more like...

5.4kg Weyermann Wheat
3.2kg Weyermann Vienna
0.5kg Weyermann Dark Munich
0.2kg Weyermann Carafa I
0.2kg Weyermann CaraMunich II
0.15kg Weyermann CaraMunich III

Ended up way low on efficiency (~55%) due most probably due to our first attempt at an iterated mash, but I'd like to shift the blame onto the whordes of little black ant like bugs that were snacking on our grain.
Bittered to about 25IBU with Hallertau, hopefully not too noticeable considering the gravity was a measly 1.064 in 23L. :S

Having an Aventinus Weizen Eisbock tonight.

Far out what a beer. I have been having a few beer this afternoon and thought I would have this as a night cap. @12% abv i am certainly feeling it and only half way through the glass.

I have to make one of these :beerbang:

This beer has made it into my top 5. What a great beer

Kabooby :icon_cheers:

DSC04618__Medium_.JPG

So what yeast would you use in this style what is the best suited? I am thinking about making one of these for my first Wheat beer and i am unsure what to use, I was loosely basing my recipe on Jamil's Weizenbock from his achieve. What yeast have you had success with, Liquid better or dried ? Does this matter ?

So what yeast would you use in this style what is the best suited? I am thinking about making one of these for my first Wheat beer and i am unsure what to use, I was loosely basing my recipe on Jamil's Weizenbock from his achieve. What yeast have you had success with, Liquid better or dried ? Does this matter ?

I have found WLP300 to be a good yeast for weizens. I find it gets much better results fermented cooler around 18C. Especially if brewing a strong beer like a weizenbock. You dont want to get hot alcohol flavours.

Kabooby :)

Hi Colin,

I'm with Kaboody and a liquid yeast is essential for a weizen, you just don't get the ester profile from dried yeasts, my personal preference is Wyeast 3068 at about 17deg.

I'd also recommend not doing a weizenbock as your first weizen. Better , I think to start with a simpler mash and do a hefeweizen and work up through dunkel so you understand what is going on and what to expect. Depending on your system the wheat load may or may not be a PITA, but weizenbocks are a big beer and its a lot of grain to worry about if the glue hits your sparge!

cheers

grant

More a yeast question, but associated with a Weizenbock. I've currently got a Dunkel Weizen fermenting, probably be ready to come off the yeast at the end of the week, but I'm not going to be able to brew until at least the week after. Was trying to decide whether it would be better to keep the yeast for a week, or to fire up another starter. According to Mr Malty I need ~4L of starter.

Should be fine for a week, no problems with using the slurry if you keep it in the fridge. Mmmm, weizenbock. :party:

Yeah, just wondered whether the wheat yeast would flunk out after 2wks of fermenting a Dunkel Weizen and then 1wk in the jar in the fridge.
Oh well, I'll put it to the real world test in a week or two.

Brewing my 100th AG on the weekend and am planning a weizenbock of sorts.

Here's what i have come up with, hoping for some comments.

3.50 kg Vienna Malt (Weyermann) (5.9 EBC) Grain 43.76 %
2.00 kg Rye Malt (Weyermann) (5.9 EBC) Grain 25.00 %
2.00 kg Wheat Malt, Pale (Weyermann) (3.9 EBC) Grain 25.00 %
0.25 kg Caramel Wheat Malt (Weyermann) (115.0 EBC) Grain 3.13 %
0.25 kg Chocolate Wheat (Weyermann) (817.6 EBC) Grain 3.13 %
40.00 gm Perle [6.00 %] (60 min) Hops 26.2 IBU
WLP300 Hefeweizen

20L
OG 1.071
IBU 26
EBC 48

50/63/78 mash schedule. Decoctions if i am motivated.

Using the yeastcake from a roggenbier i am currently drinking.

Brewing my 100th AG on the weekend and am planning a weizenbock of sorts.

Here's what i have come up with, hoping for some comments.

3.50 kg Vienna Malt (Weyermann) (5.9 EBC) Grain 43.76 %
2.00 kg Rye Malt (Weyermann) (5.9 EBC) Grain 25.00 %
2.00 kg Wheat Malt, Pale (Weyermann) (3.9 EBC) Grain 25.00 %
0.25 kg Caramel Wheat Malt (Weyermann) (115.0 EBC) Grain 3.13 %
0.25 kg Chocolate Wheat (Weyermann) (817.6 EBC) Grain 3.13 %
40.00 gm Perle [6.00 %] (60 min) Hops 26.2 IBU
WLP300 Hefeweizen

20L
OG 1.071
IBU 26
EBC 48

50/63/78 mash schedule. Decoctions if i am motivated.

Using the yeastcake from a roggenbier i am currently drinking.

Hi Dr Smurto,
How did that one go? I think it would be too sweet even for my taste..

I am thinking of revisiting the old Weizenbock recipe real soon now that the nights have started to cool down.
This is one beer style that I enjoy a bit of 'bubblegum' flavour in, it is probably the one beer style that I would
choose to add dried extract (maybe 250g) into, just to leave some residual sweetness.

Prost!

Hi Dr Smurto,
How did that one go? I think it would be too sweet even for my taste..

I am thinking of revisiting the old Weizenbock recipe real soon now that the nights have started to cool down.
This is one beer style that I enjoy a bit of 'bubblegum' flavour in, it is probably the one beer style that I would
choose to add dried extract (maybe 250g) into, just to leave some residual sweetness.

Prost!

SG down to 1.016 from 1.066 (75% attenuation) and have moved it to the conditioning fridge for a few weeks before i bottle it.

Doesn't taste sweet to my taste and i am not a fan of sweet beers. Plenty of spicy rye character as well as clove and banana from the yeast.

I wouldn't add extract, that would make it sweet.

Back