Style Of The Week 14/6/06 - Bock

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has anyone had a go at an eisbock?

How do you actually go about it?

Thanks,
Wreck.

Interesting recipe, neonmeate. What effects did you notice from the 100g of toasted malt?

well just a really nice, low level dry toastiness to go with the sweeter malt flavours from the munich and carahell. gave it just a bit more malt complexity. next time i might try a bit more than just 100g. or try a pinch of amber malt.

Wreck,
An Eisbock is a bock which has been chilled & held below freezing. As ice forms on the top it is skimmed off to concentrate the alcohol & flavor. Haven't tried it but i guess you just need a fridge that goes below 0C & some patience.

Jeez TL, that beer in the BYO piccy desperately needs some Polyclar and filtering :p

Anyhow, I was planning a Doppelbock to ferment early next month. Here's the receipe so far, any comments appreciated.

-----

06-34 Doppelbock

A ProMash Recipe Report

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (L): 20.00 Wort Size (L): 20.00
Total Grain (kg): 8.70
Anticipated OG: 1.103 Plato: 24.45
Anticipated SRM: 18.7
Anticipated IBU: 27.0
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75 %
Wort Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
46.0 4.00 kg. JWM Light Munich Australia 1.038 10
40.2 3.50 kg. Weyermann Pilsner Germany 1.038 2
11.5 1.00 kg. Weyermann Vienna Germany 1.038 4
1.1 0.10 kg. JWM Crystal 140 Australia 1.035 74
1.1 0.10 kg. JWM Chocolate Malt Australia 1.032 381

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
40.00 g. Hallertauer Tradition Pellet 5.20 27.0 60 min.

Yeast
-----

White Labs WLP833 German Bock Lager

Yeah, it's not the clearest beer I've seen!

Re your recipe, it's good to see the 90 min boil for this style - a lengthy boil serves a number of functions but with this style it's good to give an extended boil to reduce the presence of SMM, a precursor to DMS which can rear it's ugly head with these beers.
Cheers,
TL

That doesn't look too difficult. I might put aside a litre or two of a bock and put it in the freezer, and skim some of the ice off.

I'll bottle the rest as normal.

That way I won't waste a whole batch if I stuff it.

Good Day
I put a recipe for a bock I brewed in the recipe section for anyone who is interested. I am fairly happy with it though I prefer maibocks.

Gratuitious plug time, bocksters ;)

Bock/Doppelbock is one of the 4 new style classes introduced to this year's ANAWBS comp. It will be interesting to see how many entrants we get for this one.

Certainly an interesting style and one that is very pleasing to drink, but not necessarily as frequently brewed as it merits. However, if you have a bock that you think rocks, we would love to see it strut its stuff against other bocks, bocks and nothing but bocks in the EUR6 class at this year's comp.

Some of you may even be able to read more about it at the ANAWBS web site. Our webmaster is still in absentia, but some tinkering has been done in an attempt to resolve our earlier access problems.

I tend to agree with TDA.

I havnt made one yet but planning one for the winter months brewing.

Will use a base of weyermann vienna with a healthy dose of Munich 1. Some german crystal and carafa spec 1 for color.

Decoction mashed and brewed with WLP 833 (god i love this yeast)

cheers

Much of this thread has been devoted to all grain bocks.
I was looking through my recipe notes last night and dug up a partial mash bock that may be of use to some who haven't got all grain setups...The recipe is based on a Coopers Bavarian Lager kit, some dry malt extract and 2.5kg of grains.

TL's Chock a Block Bock
Size: 20 Litres
Colour: approx. 15SRM
Bitterness: 20 IBU
OG: 1.070 FG: 1.016

Grainbill:
1.5kg Bairds Munich Malt
0.5kg Hoepfner Pils Malt
250g Weyermann Carapils
250g Maltcraft Light Crystal

Extracts:
1.7kg Coopers Bavarian Lager Kit
1kg Coopers Light DME

Hops:
26g Hallertau (6% A/A, 60 mins)
20g Hallertau (aroma - at flameout)

Yeast:
Your choice (I recommend Wyeast 2206 or 2124)
W34/70 dry yeast is ok in lieu of fresh liquid yeast.

Method:
Mash the grains at 68C for 1 hour. You can steep the carapils and crystal in a separate pot at 70C if you have limited room in the mashpot.
Sparge to deliver 12L of wort to stock pot. Add the DME and bring to rolling boil.
90 minute boil - add the bittering hops with 60mins to go.
Add the Coopers Bav Lager kit at end of boil / flameout to preserve aroma and flavouring from kit hops - stir gently through to mix, then chill the wort to lager pitching temps.

Hope this helps.
Cheers,
TL

In October 98, Mikoli Weaver wrote a good primer on Bocks, in the BYO Magazine. It gives a good overview of the main bock styles (helles, maibock, weizenbock and the big bad dopplebock!) but he doesn't visit the Eisbock, which is a shame since it's an interesting brewing technique...
Nonetheless, he's worth a read: here...

Hey there-

First of all, thanks for the kind words. That article turned out to be a very popular feature that year.

About Eisbock, I believe we reserved that beer for a different feature all together. It's hard to remember, but I think there was a piece on high gravity brewing... Maybe it was their sister magazine "Brewpub."

Anyway, if there are ever questions- give an email. [email protected]

Mmmmm Bock....I love it!

My last bock turned out pretty nice when it was fresh (after 5 weeks lagering), but developed autolysis after about 2 months in the bottle (mmmm....vegemite flavoured bock!). Next time it's going straight into the keg to be drunk! The recipe is a partial mash and I did a double decoction.

Anyway, for those interested, this is the recipe:
OG:1064 IBU:28

2kg Munich malt
500g Dark Crystal malt
100g Roast barley
100g Chocolate Malt
200g Wheat malt
2kg LME
1kg DME
25g Perle pellets (7.1% AA) First Wort Hopped - 90 mins
5g Perle pellets (7.1%AA) - 60 mins
10g hallertauer - (5.5%AA) - 20 mins
5g Hallertauer (5.5%AA) at flameout
3L starter Whitelabs WLP 820 Octoberfest/Marzen liquid yeast

I have also made the ESB fresh wort bock, using the same yeast. It was a very nice beer and very true to style. Hard to fault, actually. My advice when making the ESB version, is to NOT add any water, i.e make only 15L.

Cheers - Snow.

I look forward to reading Mikoli's article at home tonight when I have a few moments after bottling my Best Bitter clone.

Can anyone tell me if a touch of smokiness is allowable in a bock? You see, I have a a W2206 yeast cake with a Rauchbier on top of it, just waiting for racking and potential repitching (of a bock or doppelbock, of course).
...or should I wash the yeast first?
Seth :p

hey all, wouldn't mind some feedback on this dopplebock recipe

Doppelbock

A ProMash Recipe Report

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (L): 19.00 Wort Size (L): 19.00
Total Grain (kg): 7.70
Anticipated OG: 1.095 Plato: 22.62
Anticipated SRM: 21.2
Anticipated IBU: 35.5
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75 %
Wort Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Pre-Boil Amounts
----------------

Evaporation Rate: 15.00 Percent Per Hour
Pre-Boil Wort Size: 24.52 L
Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.073 SG 17.85 Plato

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
58.4 4.50 kg. Weyermann Pilsner Germany 1.038 2
14.9 1.15 kg. Weyermann Munich I Germany 1.038 8
11.7 0.90 kg. Weyermann Caramunich II Germany 1.035 63
8.4 0.65 kg. Weyermann Carared Germany 1.036 24
5.8 0.45 kg. Weyermann Carapils (Carafoam) Germany 1.037 2
0.6 0.05 kg. JWM Chocolate Malt Australia 1.032 381

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
28.00 g. Perle Pellet 7.30 31.8 90 min.
14.00 g. Hallertau Hersbrucker Pellet 3.70 3.7 30 min.
14.00 g. Hallertau Hersbrucker Pellet 3.70 0.0 0 min.

Yeast
-----

WYeast 2206 Bavarian Lager

Mash Schedule
-------------

Mash Type: Single Step

Saccharification Rest Temp : 66 Time: 60
Mash-out Rest Temp : 71 Time: 10
Sparge Temp : 77 Time: 40

anything i should change or does it look all good?

cheers

-Phill

Doing a dark Bock this weekend and I am trying to decide on the yeast.
I already have some WLP 830 German Lager yeast in starter that I was going to use but wondered if the WLP833 German Bock yeast would be better.

Has anyone used both and noticed a significant difference? If so what were the differences?

Any feedback is welcome

Kabooby :)

I have used both, and the WLP833 is a much better Bock yeast. Really brings out the rich Munich maltiness. It is one of the few yeasts I always keep on hand and I do a bock or fest beer with it every 4th batch or so ;)

Thanks Kevnlis

That was the definate response I was after. Looks like im of to ESB to get some WLP833

I have been sampling my Bock ovger the last week and I love it. So smooth and balanced for a 7% beer.

I the only other Bock I have had is the Burragorang Bock from Picton so I went to Dan Murphy's and got a bottle of Buckleys Bock to do a comparison. Was not impressed with it. In fact I could not even finish it. :angry:

Anyway, does anyone know of any other Bocks that are available in Aus? I would love to try some more.

Birra Moretta La Rossa should be in Dan's... that's a doppelbock though.

Yes... bocks are dangerous :)

Back