Style Of The Week 13/9/06 - Weizen

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I kegged my first Wheaty for the year last week and it is my best one so far. I used Newguys method which was passed onto him from memory by Dave Logsdon from wyeast. Pitched a 1.5 litre starter into 20 litres of NON Aerated Wort ( No splashing at all ) and fermented at 18c. First time i have got the Banana/Clove balance the way i like it.

Thanks newguy

Rook

I'm really late but you're very welcome. I'm always happy to pass on tips & tricks. :beer:

I did a wiezen 50% Aust pilsener malt 50% weyermann wheat fermented at 18c unknowingly underpitched by a mile.

It was 1054 so needed a 4 litre starter according to mr malty. I pitched a wyeast into 1.5 litre starter & used half.

Wasnt a bad drop thought it had too much clove with a hint of bannana.

The next one Ive put the remaining yeast on a stir plate with a litre starter on top & will ferment at 20c.

The other half of the starter was in the fridge for 10 weeks, tasted it & not really happy I think it has an infection but will taste again after the stir plate ferments out.

If I am in any doubt will be bying a new yeast.

Oh for a good wiezen.

My yeast was fine its been in the fermenter for 7 days now

The last one I left for 10 days & the krausen dissapeared so I will wait till it goes clear

Tried to ferment at 21c but started at 20c then it went down to 18c in my ferment chiller

I'm really late but you're very welcome. I'm always happy to pass on tips & tricks. :beer:

Was the 1.5 litre a simple starter or on a stir plate cheers

I have brewed my first two hefe's using 3068 in the last month just passed. The first had a strange ferment taste, possibly due to a rocky ferment temp, but the second (steady 18 w/decent sized pitch) was very clean and quite nice, if a little bland. I am keen on getting the strong phenolics of a Schofferhofer hefe. I might try your non-aerated method Newguy, as that seems to make sense, and I am a little scared of underpitching.

Can anyone suggest another strain that might produce something closer to the Schofferhofer?

I had a Maisel Weiss on Friday night at the Concordia Club, man I love that beer. Was a little aged and heavily flocced, but a very tasty beer nonetheless.

My one and only AG hefe used 3068 and a 3 step single decoction mash. Fermented low at 17 degrees, came very close to schoff. in my opinion.

Maybe I should have been more specific. I love the way that Schofferhofer has a more savoury (ham sandwich) kind of thing going on than the other hefe's. I find hefes can overwhelm me after a few, and I will reach for a more bitter beer to break things up. Schofferhofer has a slightly less sweet balance which I find quite pleasant, complex and sessionable, and I think the yeast profile has a lot to do with it.

Was the 1.5 litre a simple starter or on a stir plate cheers

Not sure, you'd have to ask Rook. I don't think he ever mentioned a stirplate in the PMs we exchanged though....

I'll be trying my first Weizen (and also a Witbier) for my next AG.
Still in planning stages, so regarding the base malt has anyone tried anything other than Pilsner? I have some Golden promise handy, but if it really makes that much difference I'll visit the LHBS & stock up on Pils.

I'll be trying my first Weizen (and also a Witbier) for my next AG.
Still in planning stages, so regarding the base malt has anyone tried anything other than Pilsner? I have some Golden promise handy, but if it really makes that much difference I'll visit the LHBS & stock up on Pils.

i think you really want that sweetness from pilsner malt for a bog standard weizen, GP might work well. I guess you could try it.

For something different go for a Schneider Weisse style wheaty and use anything up to 50:50 Munich:Wheat. :icon_cheers:

i think you really want that sweetness from pilsner malt for a bog standard weizen, GP might work well. I guess you could try it.

For something different go for a Schneider Weisse style wheaty and use anything up to 50:50 Munich:Wheat. :icon_cheers:
Cheers Fourstar. It's worth a try, just interested to see if anyone's done differently than Pils before.

I've got a Schneider Weisse planned as my first foray into Wheat, using the recipe from the Wheeler/Protz book.
Never drunk one before but will be soon!

I was just going to go with the recipe/mash schedule exactly as listed (23l batch), what do you think, any comments/experiences? Cheers.

I've got a Schneider Weisse planned as my first foray into Wheat, using the recipe from the Wheeler/Protz book.
Never drunk one before but will be soon!

I was just going to go with the recipe/mash schedule exactly as listed (23l batch), what do you think, any comments/experiences? Cheers.
The Protz/Wheeler Schneider recipe is superb and has a relatively large following in the AHB recipe section.

It's quickly becoming my house beer, and I'm making one for ANHC and another for Bitter and Twisted festival.

Recommend to use the W3638 (Bavarian Wheat) yeast around 20C, and you should not be disappointed. If you'll be at either the ANHC club night or the B&T festival, come for a visit and have a taste.

To get the right wheat beer character, use 60-70% malted wheat. My lhbs temp ran out of Vienna, so I subbed light Munich in my latest batches of the Schneider-esque clone. A little darker and maltier, but should still be close to the right balance. The balance of the grist should be Pils, if you want the right balance, but feel free to experiment. I would stick to standard the first time , if the ingredients are to hand, and then experiment on later batches.

For my final 2 cents worth of opinion, I like the beer from the standard Protz/Wheeler recipe and don't see any need to change it unless ingredients are not available. It has tantalised my palate a few times and there will be more opportunities in future.

(*Edit) Oops, nearly forgot the mash regime. I like a 43-45C mash in for 20 min, then optional 50C protein rest for 20, and a sacc rest at 63C, then mash out.

Les (Schneider-clone appreciator)

Les, do you have a link to that Protz/Wheeler recipe / any more details on it?

Cheers :beer:

It's the link in my post above. Thanks for the feedback.

The Protz/Wheeler Schneider recipe is superb and has a relatively large following in the AHB recipe section.

It's quickly becoming my house beer, and I'm making one for ANHC and another for Bitter and Twisted festival.

Recommend to use the W3638 (Bavarian Wheat) yeast around 20C, and you should not be disappointed. If you'll be at either the ANHC club night or the B&T festival, come for a visit and have a taste.

To get the right wheat beer character, use 60-70% malted wheat. My lhbs temp ran out of Vienna, so I subbed light Munich in my latest batches of the Schneider-esque clone. A little darker and maltier, but should still be close to the right balance. The balance of the grist should be Pils, if you want the right balance, but feel free to experiment. I would stick to standard the first time , if the ingredients are to hand, and then experiment on later batches.

For my final 2 cents worth of opinion, I like the beer from the standard Protz/Wheeler recipe and don't see any need to change it unless ingredients are not available. It has tantalised my palate a few times and there will be more opportunities in future.

(*Edit) Oops, nearly forgot the mash regime. I like a 43-45C mash in for 20 min, then optional 50C protein rest for 20, and a sacc rest at 63C, then mash out.

Les (Schneider-clone appreciator)

Cheers Les.
Looks like another trip back to the LHBS for some Pils.
<_< :unsure: :)

Brewed this one last Thursday and pitched last Friday and it's just a few off points off finishing now, sitting around 1.015.

OG: 1.054 IBU: 14
FG: 1.013 Size: 21.5L
ABV: 5.4%

Ingredients:
2.88kg Pale Wheat Malt (Wey) - 60%
1.92kg Pilsner (Wey) - 40%
8g Magnum @ 60 min
1L starter of Wyeast 3638

Mash Schedule & Boil:
Acid Rest @ 43 - 20min
Beta Rest @ 67 - 60min
Mash Out @ 78 - Until Sparge water was ready
Sparge
Boil for 90min

Notes:
Fermented at 18, and raised to 20 today to help it finish. Trub was above tap and forgot to slant it originally so I just transferred it to secondary. Hopefully the last bit of fermentation will help push away some of the oxygen but shouldn't matter too much as I'm planning to keg it in a few days once it's cloudy rather then murky. Lost 2L due to trub, so current volume is 20.5L which considering I got 76% into fermentor, I'm not disappointed. Tasting really great, not over the top banana or bubblegum, and it has a great clove finish

hwall95 said:
Brewed this one last Thursday and pitched last Friday and it's just a few off points off finishing now, sitting around 1.015.

OG: 1.054 IBU: 14
FG: 1.013 Size: 21.5L
ABV: 5.4%

Ingredients:
2.88kg Pale Wheat Malt (Wey) - 60%
1.92kg Pilsner (Wey) - 40%
8g Magnum @ 60 min
1L starter of Wyeast 3638

Mash Schedule & Boil:
Acid Rest @ 43 - 20min
Beta Rest @ 67 - 60min
Mash Out @ 78 - Until Sparge water was ready
Sparge
Boil for 90min

Notes:
Fermented at 18, and raised to 20 today to help it finish. Trub was above tap and forgot to slant it originally so I just transferred it to secondary. Hopefully the last bit of fermentation will help push away some of the oxygen but shouldn't matter too much as I'm planning to keg it in a few days once it's cloudy rather then murky. Lost 2L due to trub, so current volume is 20.5L which considering I got 76% into fermentor, I'm not disappointed. Tasting really great, not over the top banana or bubblegum, and it has a great clove finish
This is by far the best beer I've made to style. From a blind taste test it was chosen 1st out of 4 commercials (weihenstephaner, shofferhofer, 4 pines, and erdinger) and 2 homebrews (including itself). Pretty keen to brew it again, if I can maintain consistency it may be my mid-year swap and house regular.

Sidenote: Size of starter was based on not having a stirplate which was still an underpitch

Does anyone bottle Weizens in PET? (ie the PET bottles you can buy at LHBSs)

I assume it's relatively safe? Info is a bit sparse, but when googling I found mention that soft drinks are carbed at 3.7 volumes CO2. And I found some guy carbonating his own water/softdrink at 4 volumes CO2 with no problem (and claiming that the bottles can handle way more).

They beer will be drunk fresh, so not particularly worried about losing CO2 over time, more worried about bottle bombs or mess.

(eventually I'll start using champagne bottles, but until then want to know what's safe).

Back