Style Of The Week 13/9/06 - Weizen

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Spalt is herbal perfumery. Used it in my Berliner weisse ( I know it's off-topic), and got a little hint of it in the flavour. Then again, it was a 20 min boil, what else would U get?

My 2 cents

Seth :p

What would be the cheapest/easiest source of unmalted wheat?

Torriefied wheat is the way to go, converts far more readily & is cheaper in my experience than the health food stores.

Cheers Ross

If using raw wheat, use in conjunction with a good enzymatic malt to help conversion. Galaxy malt is excellent for this. Was very pleased with my first wiezen (only ever made 1), but looking forward to using what I've learnt in this thread & giving this style another go once my Wit keg runs a bit lower...

cheers Ross

Just rememeber..

Don't mention the 'Law'.... I did it once but it appears I didn't get away with it.. :p

Brent

Has anyone tried the BYO July-August 2006 Recipe
Kalheim Wiessbier?

I was looking at making my first Weizen with that.
Only it has quite a complicated mashing schedule.

Rests at 37C, 50C and 63C
60min whirlpooling after boil.
Use of "speise" for priming.

Cheers
Brett

Galaxy malt is excellent for this.
top tip Ross. Galaxy is made for adjuncts :)

Thanks for the Spalt descriptions folks. I'm mad keen to try it now.

What would be the cheapest/easiest source of unmalted wheat?

Torriefied wheat is the way to go, converts far more readily & is cheaper in my experience than the health food stores.

Cheers Ross

Ahh, but does it give you da "tang"???

- Snow

I reckon it did & no-ones commented to the contrary, but I'm no wheatie expert - Is there a reason why it wouldn't?

cheers Ross

Is there a reason why it wouldn't?
just a freshness thing i suppose. like freshly milled grain or dme. they both work.....

I listened to the Jamil show about Weizen last night. He stated that there is no wheat 'tang", IIRC.
The only tangy wheat I've made is a Berliner Weisse, not a weizen.

Can someone advise why, and what, is this tang, they find desirable?
It is certainly not in the BJCP guidelines displayed in post #1 by Stuster.

For my opinion, I'd say to keep the raw wheat out of this, but you do what you feel is right. Just don't cry if it goes badly astray.

For Duff, who cannot get the tartness right, are U mashing at 67C? Are U decocting, and are you adding other than bittering hops? Maybe it's the Newcastle water - linky to pdf of typical water composition.

For Batz, I believe that the comment about the Reinheitsgebot was missing the following in italics:

The Beer Purity Law, Reinheitsgebot, was introduced in part to prevent the brewing of wheat beer by commoners. As discussed earlier, it was more a pledge, than a law. Anyway Batz, I think people should stop baiting you, and you should stop taking those baits. My 2 cents.

Uncle Seth :p

HEY

Back to the grouse shella up to her lace G-String in vienna malt with the TIG welder in hand building me a brewery!!!

:)

cheers

Peoples,
Been a while since this thread has surfaced :blink:
Actually been a while since iv'e surfaced.... just moved house and havent brewed for a few months. luckily i have a few NC cubes to hopefully get me through till this weizen is ready..
So its my first weizen on sunday (done my share of wit's.. but no weizen)
This thread isnt actually crawling with peoples recipes, which i was hoping to glance over...
that said, the chat about the lass in her G string up to her thighs in vienna malt was worth the read (although a picture tells a thousand words, so pictures would have helped).

We are slowly heading to weizen season, whats everyones latest thoughts....

so far i'm loosely going with...

60% wheat
38% ale/pils
2% crystal (maybe dark)

60 minutes to 16-18 IBU
giving the dried yeast a spin.

tis all.
Go.

Peoples,
Been a while since this thread has surfaced :blink:
Actually been a while since iv'e surfaced.... just moved house and havent brewed for a few months. luckily i have a few NC cubes to hopefully get me through till this weizen is ready..
So its my first weizen on sunday (done my share of wit's.. but no weizen)
This thread isnt actually crawling with peoples recipes, which i was hoping to glance over...
that said, the chat about the lass in her G string up to her thighs in vienna malt was worth the read (although a picture tells a thousand words, so pictures would have helped).

We are slowly heading to weizen season, whats everyones latest thoughts....

so far i'm loosely going with...

60% wheat
38% ale/pils
2% crystal (maybe dark)

60 minutes to 16-18 IBU
giving the dried yeast a spin.

tis all.
Go.

Hi Kong,

here's my recipe that I am drinking now, the mash regime is complicated but the results are worth it, and the yeast is a winner in my mind.
Nice crisp/dry beer, some clove and slight banana and a lovely tart finish.

Cheers
Andrew

Style: Weizen/Weissbier
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (45.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 23.00 L
Boil Size: 29.95 L
Estimated OG: 1.049 SG
Estimated Color: 5.0 EBC
Estimated IBU: 18.5 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 80.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
2.75 kg Wheat Malt (Barrett Burston) (2.4 EBC) 61.11 %
1.75 kg Pale Malt, Galaxy (Barrett Burston) 38.89 %
45.00 gm Hallertauer Mittelfrueh [4.00 %] (60 min) 18.5 IBU
1 Pkgs Safbrew Wheat (Safbrew #WB-06) Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Hefeweizen mash
Total Grain Weight: 4.50 kg
----------------------------
Hefeweizen mash
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
30 min Ferulic rest Add 20.00 L of water at 44.3 C 42.0 C
30 min Sacch rest Heat to 63.0 C over 10 min 63.0 C
30 min Step Heat to 72.0 C over 10 min 72.0 C
5 min Mash Out Heat to 78.0 C over 10 min 78.0 C

Nice one Andrew... funnily enough our grist and IBU's are very close. good to see, i'll guess i'll stick with it.
Wont have the time for step mashing on sunday, but might try it with the second attempt down the track...
Good to hear you liking the yeast....
whats your fermentation temp thoughts for the yeast..?

Heya PhATfeller. There goes the peace and quiet. :p

I pitched at 14 degrees. Slowly ramped the temp up to 18 degrees for 24 hours, pushed it up to 20-21 degrees to finish off. Just racked the beer to finish in the kegs. Yeast seems to have produced a nice balanced character of phenols and fruit. Fairly tart finish also.

I'm also liking what I'm getting from the addition of 25% Weyermann Dark Wheat Malt. (15-20 EBC). :icon_drunk:

Warren -

I fermented @ 22 which only gave it a slight hint of banana, I think from reports I have read that this yeast is not as banana dominant at the higher end of it's temp rating as some of the other yeasts. At 22 I found the flavours/aromas to be very well balanced.

Cheers
Andrew

Hey guys..
Gonna have my first brewday since november this week, and want to try a weizen.
Here's what i've come up with...

Brewer: Barking Hound Brewhaus and Drinkery
Asst Brewer:
Style: Weizen/Weissbier
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 23.00 L
Boil Size: 28.05 L
Estimated OG: 1.046 SG
Estimated Color: 3.3 SRM
Estimated IBU: 11.0 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 65.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
3.00 kg Wheat Malt, Malt Craft (Joe White) (1.8 SRGrain 57.69 %
2.00 kg Pale Malt, Galaxy (Barrett Burston) (1.5 SGrain 38.46 %
0.20 kg Wheat, Flaked (1.6 SRM) Grain 3.85 %
22.00 gm Spalter [4.50 %] (60 min) Hops 11.0 IBU
1 Pkgs Safbrew WB-06 Yeast-Wheat

Mash Schedule: My Mash
Total Grain Weight: 5.20 kg
----------------------------
My Mash
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Mash in Add 18.00 L of water at 71.9 C 67.0 C
10 min Mash out Add 15.26 L of water at 85.5 C 75.0 C

Thoughts???????

I think it looks good, fixa. That yeast gave me a fairly dry, tart beer and I think that mash temp will be good to avoid the beer being too dry. You could also use a little munich, but it's certainly fine as is. :chug:

Back