Style Of The Week 13/9/06 - Weizen

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Batz, you need a Wheat Beer Attitude Adjustment :D

Will have a cloudy on tap in a week if you'd like to drive down to sample it. Trying to emulate Bindi's Hefe from 3 weeks ago, he really nailed this style the Dirty Rotten Lucky Bas#@rd. It's carbing in the keg, can't wait for next Tuesday.

What would be the cheapest/easiest source of unmalted wheat?

Brewing's a funny old caper. I used the 3333 almost 2 years ago and I wasn't that happy with the results. On reflection I probably brewed it too cool and it was all extract.
It looks like I may owe it a return visit.

Cheers.

Tis true, and its a personal taste thing as well. 3068 is the safe bet if you want a weizen to standard.
3333 is a more subdued and fruitier strain.I brewed a weizen with it and gave some to a Schofferhoffer fan and he wasn't that impressed, no clove and vanilla. 3333 is definitely a wheat strain but closer in character to a coopers fruity flava than anything else.
I did a wheat style As detailed here! and it picked up 3rd in saabsosa as an aussie pale ale.Mainly to see what a coopers reculture would do with a wheaty grist.To my palate Pale ale has a big wheaty hit.

i disagree, there's no fresh wheaty taste or aroma in it. get more of a weetbix taste with pre-done. La Guilloteine (sp?) is a classic example to me.
fresh cracked wheat is the go. either simmered and added or added milled and go 30-55-68C.

find a farmer offer him beer was my best way to get raw wheat and barley. 20kgs at a time.
some HBS will supply it cheap from time to time.

i'd love to find an organic grain farmer, with a pretty skinny daughter that runs a malting and stainless steel fabrication company......

Will have a cloudy on tap in a week if you'd like to drive down to sample it. Trying to emulate Bindi's Hefe from 3 weeks ago, he really nailed this style the Dirty Rotten Lucky Bas#@rd. It's carbing in the keg, can't wait for next Tuesday.

Don't tell me your problems :angry:

Batz

Has anyone tried culturing from a bottle or 2 of Weihenstephaner?

Nopel, but I have cultured from Schneider Edel Weisse with definite success.
I have cultured from Schofferhofer hefeweizen, but not brewed with it, as it's a bottling strain.
Have also cultured from James Squire colonial wheat, but not brewed with it yet.

I find that liquid malt (LME and wheat LME) does not give you the right fruity esters for a weizen. I tried the ESB 3kg wheat once and I can see why they don't call it a weizen. Problem was that I fermented with W3056 and got an American hefeweizen with too much hop flavour (German hops, too, IIRC). I couldn't convince myself that it was drinkable in large doses. The combo didn't work for me.

I don't think that I could go for W3333, as I'm now quite addicted to the banana flavour, and the other flavours too.

Has anyone else brewed with Muntons DME and Wheat DME? It certainly works with my hops, water, pitching rate, ferment etc. No guarantee that it will work for everyone, though.

What do beer judges think of hop flavour in this beer. I think it's out-of-style and don't put any in. Well, maybe I did one with Tettnang flavour hop, but not for a comp. Will I be penalised in a comp, or rewarded?

BTW goatherder, the skinny boilermaker, maltster farmer's daughter has a goatee beard and bad breath, I bet! :lol:

Bierz
Seth out

c'mon fellas, she's out there somewhere!
tig welding fixtures in the malt rooms, up to her thighs in fresh Vienna malt......

Has anyone tried culturing from a bottle or 2 of Weihenstephaner?

Nopel, but I have cultured from Schneider Edel Weisse with definite success.
I have cultured from Schofferhofer hefeweizen, but not brewed with it, as it's a bottling strain.
Have also cultured from James Squire colonial wheat, but not brewed with it yet.

Schofferhofer is a lager strain, As for the james squire.Why not ya slacker?

I find that liquid malt (LME and wheat LME) does not give you the right fruity esters for a weizen. I tried the
Yeah Muntons DME is the best IMHO

I don't think that I could go for W3333, as I'm now quite addicted to the banana flavour, and the other flavours too.

Whatever floats ya boat

Has anyone else brewed with Muntons DME and Wheat DME? It certainly works with my hops, water, pitching rate, ferment etc. No guarantee that it will work for everyone, though.

YEP

Seth out

Heavy hop flavour, especially american, is awful with a good wheat yeast. Not that I've ever brewed one, I've sampled a 3068 starter made with leftover APA wort. For hop flavour in a hefe I would stick to light nobles or American Glacier for something slightly different.

Glacier, that's your lemony hop answer to everything Kai :p :D
Brauluver Dave suggested Spalt. I have an unopened pack from Ross, would the AHB wheat freaks agree that it should be sacrificed in the name of wheat, or another style?

Brauluver Dave suggested Spalt. I have an unopened pack from Ross, would the AHB wheat freaks agree that it should be sacrificed in the name of wheat, or another style?

FWIW I have Spalt on hand for Alts but figured nobody would really cry if I used it for my forthcoming Weizens. Given that hops don't generally play a bit part I figured any noble'ish hop would do the job. At least to start with.

Yeah do it, its german and its noble(fits perfectly)

ok, that's it's parents and politics, can you fill me in on some flavours and smells?

FWIW I have Spalt on hand for Alts but figured nobody would really cry if I used it for my forthcoming Weizens. Given that hops don't generally play a bit part I figured any noble'ish hop would do the job. At least to start with.
Voosher, Tangent,

I must agree with Brauluver. The noble German hop, Spalt, will be good in this beer. This weizen fiend sez yes!
I find, though, even with just a 60 min boil addition, I get a bit of hop flavour in my wheats, and can readily notice the difference between the same (low) IBUs of Tettnang and Saaz in a weizen. Both good, but unique.

Seth :p

Latest posts

Back