Quantcast

Stupid Mistake With Stc 1000

Aussie Home Brewer

Help Support Aussie Home Brewer:

Rob S

Reaction score
Walked past the lagering fridge set at 1*c on my STC and noticed that is was reading 13*c. First thought was oh bugger, fridge is stuffed.

Opened it to have a look and saw this.....

IMAG0317.jpg

Turns out I stacked my beer in the fridge & forgot to put the temperature probe back in the fridge.

Everything frozen, all but a couple smashed or the top popped.

A whole batch of green Bavarian Ale. My coffee stout that I hadn't touched since I made it in January. My Hobgoblin clone that's just starting to get awesome. And don't forget my two hop rhizomes I just got.

Fuuuuuuuuu........... :angry:

Oh well lesson learnt, hopefully...

Wolfy

Reaction score
Ouch! Sorry for your loss. :(

Looks like you have made beer-slushy.

Rob S

Reaction score
Must admit, me & the nephew took more than one finger scoops of the stout. Would be good for summer.

newguy

To err is human, to arrr is pirate
Reaction score
And don't forget my two hop rhizomes I just got.
The hops are probably fine. Plant them - they'll probably sprout. The soil here freezes to a depth of about 60cm in winter and so do the hops yet mine keep coming back every spring.

Jay Cee

Reaction score
Why didn't the fridge's thermostat regulate them temp when it got low, and switch the unit off? If I turned my kitchen fridge to the lowest setting I woudn't expect freezing.

rotten

Reaction score
I disconnect the fridge thermostat when I hook in a stc1000. I had a brew freeze while ccing a few months back when the probe was outside the fridge. I could still drink mine though.

Rob S

Reaction score
I got a free fridge off a mate. Told me the freezer worked but the fridge didn't. It was one of those combos where the freezer feeds the fridge cold air through a gap controlled by a thermostat that opens the hole manually as the thermostat heats up. I just cut out the floor of the freezer making it one big freezer & it works great as a lagering fridge......unless you forget something.

I'm hoping that the green ones had a chance to carb up before they froze. I assume the yeast is dead.

As for the hop rhizomes it was only 24 hours so I'm pretty sure after reading a bit on here that they'll be fine.

Latest posts