Capital-N-Nasty aroma in my Wheat Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr_wibble

Beer Odd
Reaction score
Hi-yas,

Since I've now (over-) carbonated my chamomile wheat beer, it has a distinctive and unpleasant odour.

It is none of the rogues-gallery of odours (musty/band-aid/butterscotch/...), and when the beer was under-carbonated it was not present.

My brother described it as a "Bile-like" smell. I could probably say "solventy" ... sort of.

As far as I can tell, it's only an aroma. The beer itself is rather pleasant - IFF you can get past the smell.
One the beer goes flat, the smell goes away, and the flavour is pretty good *sigh*.

The recipe is (25 litres) -
60%/3.4kg wheat
40%/2.25kg pilsener
30g hallertau at 60 minutes (~4% AA)
25 grams of dried fresh chamomile flower heads (a good double-handful).
Pitched a starter of Mangrove Jacks M20 "Bavarian Wheat". at 22C
Fermented at 18 degrees (probe inside wort)

There's a litany of mistakes on my brewsheet (I was having a shocker) ~
* forgot to aerate until the next day
* accidentally turned off the fermentation fridge for 2 days (after 1 week fermenting)
* left the fermentation for 21 days instead of usual 14 (ok that was intentional, because I was away)

So there's enough reasons there for an excessive amount of esters - all down to stressed yeast. Learned an important lesson that I should not brew in the evenings.

But I had this aroma much worse in a dunkelweizen from a few batches previous, which was so bad I dumped it. This previous batch had none of these stupid mistakes. The similarity in the recipe (mostly wheat, large proportion of pilsener), and also the M20 yeast.

Has anyone else had this sort of aroma ?
Ideas?

EDIT: I swear this aroma wasn't there when under-carbed last week.
Beer has been kegged, and at 3.3C for maybe 6 weeks.

Mr Wibble said:
There's a litany of mistakes on my brewsheet (I was having a shocker) ~
* forgot to aerate until the next day
This sticks out to me... Did you pitch the yeast, wait a day and THEN aerate?

.DJ. said:
This sticks out to me... Did you pitch the yeast, wait a day and THEN aerate?
Yep. Idiotic.
It was probably more like 12 hours. I finished waaay past my bedtime, then thought of it in the middle of the night.
Did it next morning.

I didn't do this in the previous batch though.

Latest posts

Back