Stuck Ferment?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

v8r

Reaction score
Hi all,

slapped together a country brewers Autumn "The Hibernator" (bottom 1/3rd of the page) last week with an OG of 1046, now after 8 days of 18deg fermentation, its down to 1022.. packs lists the predicted FG of 1008.. reckon i'll just give it another week?

Try racking to secondary, or failing the equipment to do that, rock the fermenter gently back and forwards several times a day to help reduce the gravity.

You may have taken an erroneous first reading...check your hydrometer in 20'C tap water. Should come out at 1.000. If not, adjust accordingly. Another thing to check is draining your fermenter tap of any nasties collected whilst fermenting...generally 100ml or so before the test jar collection is sufficient.

The DME in the stout mix may also just be taking a while to ferment out.

Cheers and good luck!

EDIT: But yes, leaving another week won't hurt, and is the easiest, safest, and least expensive option.

What sort of yeast did you use? If it's the standard available with the Rapid Creek or Wals range, one kit I did (Wals Pale) always got stuck (at least three brews in a row) around 1018 mark.

Very frustrating!

I posted on this forum to get an idea as to what to do. Responses in general were:

Gently swirl the tub to get it going ...
Increase the temperature slightly ...
Open the lid and disturb the yeast cake without allowing oxygen in ... (not the most recommended option)

After many failed attempts at getting mine to re-start I simply bottled (after 21 days primary) - using slightly less sugar, and made sure I got the bottles in the fridge before they became too gassed up (they lasted several weeks out of the fridge).

Now though, I don't brew anything without using Safale S-04, US-56 or Saflager yeasts. Touch wood, I no longer have any problem with stuck brews.

... SM

well, after another week in primary (and a good swirl of the ferm.), the brew measures 1020@14 deg.. checked my hydro in tap water, its bang-on 1.00 @ 20c.. i dont know the conversions, but how does that look?

V8R

well, after another week in primary (and a good swirl of the ferm.), the brew measures 1020@14 deg.. checked my hydro in tap water, its bang-on 1.00 @ 20c.. i dont know the conversions, but how does that look?

V8R

When you say your brew measures 1020 @ 14 deg, is that the temperature of your fermenter... you will probably need to warm it up a bit for an ale yeast to finish it.

I'd warm up your fermenter to ~20-22 degrees for a day or two to finish it off.

or if that fails

Grab a sachet of US-56 and chuck it in.

Q

Hi all,

slapped together a country brewers Autumn "The Hibernator" (bottom 1/3rd of the page) last week with an OG of 1046, now after 8 days of 18deg fermentation, its down to 1022.. packs lists the predicted FG of 1008.. reckon i'll just give it another week?

1.008? With that combination I think they're dreamin'! 1.020 is still pretty high though.

If nothing else works ...and the wort still tastes too sweet, stir up the yeast cake with a sterilised spoon/paddle.

If gravity doesn't drop after this, get another yeast packet and drop it in ... nothin' to lose?

with recent drop in temps, my brews are pretty stable at a low 12 deg, so now, after battling 40-odd degree heat only 12wks or so back, im going to have to warm them a little.. atm they are in an old disused wardrobe under the carport, so i might go a little crazy with either a light globe in a pot or maybe hunt up a brew belt..

in essence, i think it loks like sleepy, cold yeast :) thanks for all the suggestions / reassurance :D

Latest posts

Back