Stuck Celli Taps

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I found I had similar problems with my Cellis.

I pulled them down and cleaned them, applying a little lube when I reassembled. Problem fixed.

I now do the same after every 2-3 kegs, the problem hasn't returned since I started this regime.

hey Goatherder can you show us where you apply this lube (pic courtesy of Enoch)

pumpy :unsure:

P1010426.jpg

Here, around the rubber seal bit so it moves freely in the housing:

post_670_1203589270.jpg

I'm not sure it's required but I did it when I cleaned a tap for the first time (after being inspired by your thread Pumpy). It seemed stiff after I assembled it so I lubed it up. Now I just do it whenever I clean.

Thanks Goatherder that makes a lot of sense I will give it a try

pumpy :)

Has any one got any bright ideas of a way to prevent this.
My bright idea was to go back to the Ventmatics.
As much as I like the Celli's I just don't use them enough so they stick like yours have.

I would be interested to hear Ross's thoughts on this matter as he is the one selling them, and living up there in Gods country :p I would of thought there is plenty enough heat to test em out!

Another way of getting the water 'up there' is
squeeze_bottles.gif

I just use mine (with a straight nozzle) with an ice-cream container underneath. No more sticky taps :) .

I would be interested to hear Ross's thoughts on this matter as he is the one selling them, and living up there in Gods country :p I would of thought there is plenty enough heat to test em out!

Looks like Goatherder has the answer, a little lube on the seal. I'll be contacting the manufacturers though to get the official line on maintanence & will report back.

Cheers Ross

Looks like Goatherder has the answer, a little lube on the seal. I'll be contacting the manufacturers though to get the official line on maintanence & will report back.

Thanks for that.
Even though I a never had this problem I find it hard to understand why anything inside the tap would dry out and block, essecially as they are rear sealing.
Just keep the beer moving through them I guess :icon_cheers:

Thanks for that.
Even though I a never had this problem I find it hard to understand why anything inside the tap would dry out and block, essecially as they are rear sealing.
Just keep the beer moving through them I guess :icon_cheers:

I have one on a party keg that gets very infrequent use & one in my cold room that gets used regularly - not had a sticking problem yet on either & not had a single complaint back to me that i can recall. But looks like a few have had problems though, so will get to the bottom of it.

cheers ross

It's the handle mechanism that is the problem, because it is in front of the seal.
So left over beer goes sticky and if not used for a few days it can make the handle stick.
I've had Brumby taps stick solid before.
Mind you, my keg fridge is in the garage and it can get hot out there in the summer.

The Ventmatic/Shirron taps seal at the front, so the handle mechanism is always imersed in liquid.

I suppose if the taps are in the heat in a garage better to have the beer at the back of the tap than the front of the tap

Pumpy :)

I suppose if the taps are in the heat in a garage better to have the beer at the back of the tap than the front of the tap

Pumpy :)

Very good point Pumpy & something I always mention when people call to discuss their tap options.

If you use the taps rarely, would you rather a potential sticky tap (if not cleaned) or a tap full of potential soured beer?
My font has Shirrons & if I've not poured from for a while the 1st beer poured needs throwing away & the glass rinsed, despite my font being gycoled chilled 24 hrs a day. As the Australian distributor for both taps, I'm equally happy to sell either, but IMO the Celli's features win hands down on a fridge set up.

Cheers Ross

Edit: spelling

If you use the taps rarely, would you rather a potential sticky tap (if not cleaned) or a tap full of potential soured beer?

People who let beer go sour in beer taps do not deserve to have them and should be compelled to surrender them for redistribution to more appreciative owners... :huh:

It's the handle mechanism that is the problem, because it is in front of the seal.
So left over beer goes sticky and if not used for a few days it can make the handle stick.
I've had Brumby taps stick solid before.

Good point. That would explain why when I hit mine with the water in the syringe a few drops sometimes comes through the front screw, thus flushing any beer out.

People who let beer go sour in beer taps do not deserve to have them and should be compelled to surrender them for redistribution to more appreciative owners...

I agree. After reading this last night I felt it was my duty to go down stairs and have a beer from each tap. :rolleyes:

Steve

My Celli(s) are in the big fridge but will still periodically get a bit sticky if left for a while. I tend to lube the O ring circled above but also put a bit on the "piston" bit that the handle connects into which helps.

I find that dark beers are worse than pale ones. It may just be I don't drink them as quickly and that the deposits being dark makes them show up more.

i am thinking of buying a celli tap, how does the flow regulator work and push back for a creamy head

i am thinking of buying a celli tap, how does the flow regulator work and push back for a creamy head

Flow regulator is great and the prime selling point. Means only 1m (or less) of beer line. The creaming device is good. If beer is of moderate carbonation levels you can push the stick right back and pour the remaining 10% of your beer all head. Great for a stout and English Ales in general! B)

Edit: See pic in my sig of the Phoaming PhAT. Went a bit mental with the reverse pour.

Warren -

Enoch, when you have all pale beers on tap, I'll stumble over and double-check the taps for you ;)

I agree. After reading this last night I felt it was my duty to go down stairs and have a beer from each tap. :rolleyes:
Steve

i do that just so one tap doesnt get jealous of the other. i suppose this thread is another good reason.
joe

Flow regulator is great and the prime selling point. Means only 1m (or less) of beer line. The creaming device is good. If beer is of moderate carbonation levels you can push the stick right back and pour the remaining 10% of your beer all head. Great for a stout and English Ales in general!

I have about 5 inches of line behind my taps. Really, IMO nothing compares and I would arue the toss with anyone who disagrees. ;) After reading the Wiki on "balancing a draught system" it looks like a lot of hard work to me. I could not imagine trying to get kegs in and out of my chest freezer with 2 or 3 metres of line PER TAP laying around in the freezer. These taps make it very tidy and very easy for the novice to get into kegging.
Like everything in life u get what u pay for!

Steve

Back