Strengthen my fridge shelves

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
+1 for plywood, I then screwed right angle aluminium extrusion underneath it to add strength. Four kegs on the shelf, no bowing.

This is very helpful as I have 2 fridges with glass shelves. One being a fermentor fridge with 30 litre and 50 litre S/S fusti fermentors in regular use.

I don't have glass, but needed to strengthen my shelves as I can squeeze 5 corny kegs on the shelf, that's about 100kg. I used 6 lengths of pine for the upper shelf support and 2 bits of ply for the next one down. The second shelf needed the extra bracing as the weight pushing from the top one made it drop. Never had an issue with them being wood, but it is a frost free freezer.

Pic only has 4 kegs and some other beers, but a 5th keg will fit in the centre.
589556e0-16e6-4d05-99bc-3391cc7c0540_zps3c55052a.jpg

I used a left over floor tile which I cut to shape for my fermenter fridge. Works well and cost me nothing. Also easy to clean and draws the heat from the fermenter when it first goes in or starts getting active and producing its own heat. I have no empirical proof but I reckon it keeps the fermenter temp more constant.

Aluminium checkerplate. Got a few pieces cut up from a mate. Doesn't bend in the slightest no matter what I load on them.

I had some jarrah skirting boards lying around had to use the sander on the edges so they would slide in the grooves of the fridge all goodImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1416450902.449616.jpg

Latest posts

Back