Strengthen my fridge shelves

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stehowardtlr

Reaction score
Bought a new fridge just for keeping bottled beers in the other week. Its only a small fridge, can fit around 20 longnecks on each shelf. Only problem is the shelves are bowing so what do people use to add some strength to the shelves. I'm afraid the shelf will fail so I'm only putting 12 bottles on each one.
Thanks Steve.

You could screw some 20x20mm angle under the shelf, this will stop the bowing

Strips of 6mm aluminium checker plate (or 20mm x 20mm x 3mm aluminium\ss angle :p ) will reinforce your existing wire shelves whilst allowing for the recirculation of (whatever temp) air throughout the fridge.
6mm checker plate is better if you need the extra space.

Hi, my shelf is wire not glass but holds 30 bottles and bows not enough to slip off the railing. Done this for over 3 years. I would not think glass would bow as much as wire? Have you put the "full load" on and observed how much it has moved on the railing, in other words still plenty to hold the shelf. image.jpg

Just thought I'd do something now before its too late. The glass in this fridge is so thin.

You could just wedge a stick of wood between the bottom of the fridge and the shelf. Then between each shelf. Fix as desired (blutack would even do)

Or wander into the backyard and find a suitable stick.

If you want to get fancy, you can make a 'T' or similar. Even an 'I', but one with the top and bottom cross bits.

I had a shelf bowing under a fermenter with 20+ L of wort/beer in it. I'm not very handy, but managed to cut a 2 x 4 to the right length without losing any fingers. It just squeezes in under the shelf before I put the fermenter in. Works fine.

Back