Strange taste with Carbonation drops

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all,

I’ve spent some time searching for this so apologies if it’s already been answered.

I’ve been brewing for a few years now and have always used table sugar to bulk prime while bottling until recently when I was given a two bags of Morgan’s Carbonation Drops.

I have used two of these per long neck in my last two batches; the first was heavily oxidised as I had a crack in my siphon tubing and didn’t notice while bottling late one night and the second batch has been in bottle for a week now...

I decided to crack one (early I know) and found that the beer has a sweet malt taste to it which it didn’t have in my final gravity sample. Is this from the carbonation drops and will ferment out? There’s a bit of carbonation already but it isn’t holding a head.

Anyway, I’ve tested a few of my beers green in the past and they weren’t as sweet as this using table sugar so just concerned these drops were a no go as I was planning on using them in my next batch due to bottle this weekend...

Cheers

NT

Yeah I tried another bottle this weekend and the taste is mostly gone. Still needs another week though.

I often find FG samples taste more bitter than the beer ends up once carbonated and ready to drink. The sweetness could be from a bit of unfermented priming sugar, or it could be from a lack of carbonation as well. The 'bite' from full carbonation offsets sweetness. That's why flat Coke always tastes more sickly sweet than fizzy Coke, for example.

I've noticed similar things with kegged beers I've had, where they've tasted a little on the sweet side at about a half carbonation level, but once fully carbonated they were fine.

Latest posts

Back