Strange Stuff Happening In My Wheat Beer...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peteoz77

Reaction score
OK, no one laugh, but I have an odd question. During my Brewcast yesterday, I saw some strange goings on in my kettle. I saw a LOT of stuff floating around in the wort, but it didn't look like hulls or pieces of grain etc, it just looked like little bits of stuff. Also, about halfway through the boil, it noticed a "Skim Coat" happening on nearly half of the kettle. I could break this up with my spoon, but it would reform again shortly.

This is only the second time I have brewed with wheat, and I con't really remember if anything like this happened the first time.

The recipe was 50% malted wheat, 40% Maris Otter and 10% Caramunich 1.

Any ideas, or is this normal?

Oh yeah, there was 100 grams of Amarillo in there as well.

OK, no one laugh, but I have an odd question. During my Brewcast yesterday, I saw some strange goings on in my kettle. I saw a LOT of stuff floating around in the wort, but it didn't look like hulls or pieces of grain etc, it just looked like little bits of stuff.

Hot break (effectively coagulating long chain proteins)?

Yep, first time I ever noticed it I freaked out thinking what the hell is going on here. Getting a good hot break is good, from my understanding this is part of the reason you whirlpool after the boil so you don't get any in the fermenter.

Yep, I stopped in at the Brewery today and mentioned it to Christoff and Brett. I didn't even get half the words out of my mouth and Brett was telling me what it was. I never noticed it before, but as I said, I only made an AG wheat beer once before, and I must have just not noticed it.

Thanks for the input!

I read how to brew cover to cover a few times before I got my AG setup together, it was actually less than what I was expecting to see. Freaks other non brewer types out when I point it out though lol "see that putrid foaming pot of crap with all floaties in it? that's what the beer you're drinking used to look like" lol

Back