Strange taste in beer from wheat

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Truman42

Reaction score
Hi Brewers,

Has anyone ever ended up with a strange sort of floury or paper taste in a beer where they have used flaked wheat or even wheat malt? I recently brewed a pacific ale clone and it has this floury or papery after taste which at first I thought was oxidation as I pulled my Ispindel in and out of the fermenter the first 48 hours to calibrate it, but was very careully doing so as to not splash wort around.

But now Im starting to think it is from the wheat I used.
I could taste it just a few days after pitching yeast and its still there now in the kegged beer.

Ive now brewed a NEIPA using the same wheat and although not as pronounced I can still slightly detect this same papery/floury taste. It sort of hits the back of your mouth as an after taste. Ive never tasted it before in a wheat beer.
The only other constant is that both of these beers were fermented in my new SS Chronical. I did clean it with tricleanium twice and used starsan in a higher concentration to passivate the stainless.

The Pacific Ale clone used 810 grams Gladfield wheat malt and 200 grams flaked in a 19 litre batch

The NEIPA used 450 grams of Gladfield wheat malt

Im at a loss as to where this taste is coming from.

How old was the wheat malt? Did you mill it yourself or was it pre-milled. Sounds like oxidation to me but maybe old grain?

How old was the wheat malt? Did you mill it yourself or was it pre-milled. Sounds like oxidation to me but maybe old grain?
The flaked wheat had a use by date of 10th August 2019 so only had a couple of weeks to go. The malted wheat was Gladfield and Im not sure what the use by date was. i milled it all myself.

Back