Stout number 1

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G'day Fellas

righto so i put down the choc oat stout yesterday and she is currently fermenting happily away, this was the recipie given by brzt6060 so if she is a winner this is the man! here is my process, give us your thoughts.

Steeped 500gm and 400gm of chocalate in 3.5 litres between 65-70c for 30mins

Sparged both of them with 1.7litres each at the same temp 65-70c.

brought up the pot to 8 litres and up to the boil- turned off got her to 80c and then added 400gm of Dark DME and dissolved.

brought her back up to rolling boil and added 10gm of kent golding for 60mins and 10gm of Fuggles for 20mins.

5mins before end of the boil added the 1.7k dark LME, i then let it cool down to 80c i then added the 1.7kg of Black Rock Miners Stout and dissolved it in.

I let it cool for 20 mins then transferred it all to the main fermentor and topped up with cold water to 23 litres.

SG i actually thought it would be a bit higher but it levelled at exactly 1050, now from here i added another 200gm of dextrose, don't know if i should have done this but i like it on the high end my stouts.

pitched 2x S04 at 22c.

she is currently bubbling away.

Would love to hear your thoughts fellas! :icon_cheers:

Cheers,

Dan

Looks good
Only concern is are you planning on dropping temp down a bit from 22?
S04 seems to be best at around 18, can give off undesirable flavours if too much above 20...

stewy said:
Looks good
Only concern is are you planning on dropping temp down a bit from 22?
S04 seems to be best at around 18, can give off undesirable flavours if too much above 20...
G'day Stewy,

yes she sitting stable at 18c at the moment, i just pitched the yeast at 22c

Does anybody know how i could have gone steeping or adding coffee to this recipe, also lactose for the next try?

cheers, :unsure:

Dan

Back