Stout idea?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tahoose

Reaction score
Hey all, thinking about brewing a stout and my original thought was maybe the Thomas coopers Irish stout toucan which I believe is a hit but then I was thinking maybe that's too much beer as I just want to do a trial for winter maybe about 10-12 litres.

Then my thoughts were maybe a half batch at the same ratio as a toucan? And then I thought well I'll ask these guys and see what they may recommend... I know a lot of people on here are fond of Russian imperial stouts, if I was to grab a can of something then maybe steep a kg or 2 of grain/multiple grains what would be some thoughts.

I'm thinking I'll use about a 15ltr sized fermenter, fermenting at ale temps and I have grain and grape, and keg king as 2 LHBS which I tend to use

I'm planning on conditioning until at least the middle of the year also

Too much stout!? Nevaaar!

I like the idea of an imperial toucan, maybe steep 100 grams of chocolate or carafa II.

I've not tried it before but I reckon 2 cans of irish stout would make a little bitter for an imperial, I'd swap out a can for malt extract, maybe add some fuggles and/or goldings later in the boil.

Edit: What yeast are you planning to use?

I have a stout on the go at the moment. Tastes good. Ive used a few of the Kits (muntons, mangrove Jacks, Blackrock) and found they are all pretty good for Kit Recipes. Ive focuses on the Dry Irish Stouts and been very happy with the results.
Latest one was

Mangrove Jacks Irish Stout
1.5kg Dark LME
0.2kg Chocolate Grain
15g fuggles at 15mins
Wyeast 1084 - Irish Ale.

Ive also done ones with coffee essence and liquorice essence in there. Stouts are pretty hardy and usually turn out good from k&k brews from my somewhat limited experience.

dave doran said:
I have a stout on the go at the moment. Tastes good. Ive used a few of the Kits (muntons, mangrove Jacks, Blackrock) and found they are all pretty good for Kit Recipes. Ive focuses on the Dry Irish Stouts and been very happy with the results.
Latest one was

Mangrove Jacks Irish Stout
1.5kg Dark LME
0.2kg Chocolate Grain
15g fuggles at 15mins
Wyeast 1084 - Irish Ale.

Ive also done ones with coffee essence and liquorice essence in there. Stouts are pretty hardy and usually turn out good from k&k brews from my somewhat limited experience.
I did 2 myself a while back, one was very similar to this but added cocoa and used S04. A few fellow AG brewers couldn't even tell it was out of a kit.

I'm thinking of doing an all grain imperial stout soon, with a smallish setup I'll be doing an extra long boil with some wort aside for a short boil with pre boil gravity of 1.040 for hops to get 12-14 litres of wort. Yet to look into recipes yet.

About to put a toucan stout down myself. Knocking around in the toucan thread there are plenty of posts pointing towards one can coopers stout, one can coopers dark ale. I'll be taking this road with some DME, goldings hops and roasted barley.

eungaibitter1 said:
About to put a toucan stout down myself. Knocking around in the toucan thread there are plenty of posts pointing towards one can coopers stout, one can coopers dark ale. I'll be taking this road with some DME, goldings hops and roasted barley.
Great idea I reckon, the dark ale should mellow out the bitterness.

Also the coopers stout and real ale toucan have been a hit in the past with my mates;)

I wanna try out a similar toucan soon, Stout plus Real ale and some specialty grain and goldings.
Big thing I'm not sure about is what yeast to use?
I have only used kit yeast and us05 before.
Wondering what would go well in the toucan, s04, Windsor, or Nottingham?
Any feedback would be great!
Thanks

I did a coopers recipe imperial stout 6 months ago and was pretty good.
so I just today done a modified version for winter drinks
1 can tcs irish stout
1 can tcs heritage lager
1 can coopers dark ale
1kg dark dme
1 kg dex
rehydrated all coopers yeast plus a us-05 packet
SG 1.112 21 l
20 deg c
winter sips!!!!!!!!

Sea_Eagle said:
I wanna try out a similar toucan soon, Stout plus Real ale and some specialty grain and goldings.Big thing I'm not sure about is what yeast to use?I have only used kit yeast and us05 before.Wondering what would go well in the toucan, s04, Windsor, or Nottingham?Any feedback would be great!Thanks
Nottingham for mine

Sea_Eagle said:
I wanna try out a similar toucan soon, Stout plus Real ale and some specialty grain and goldings. Big thing I'm not sure about is what yeast to use? I have only used kit yeast and us05 before. Wondering what would go well in the toucan, s04, Windsor, or Nottingham? Any feedback would be great! Thanks
I reckon S04 would be alright, I find US05 to be a little too clean for a darker beer like this.

Ive had good results with the Wyeast 1084 Irish Ale yeast and the S04. Quite like the Wyeast strains at the moment so im leaning towards that.
I haven't done a toucan though and only used them for a single stout kit and extract recipe.

One of my trains of thought when it comes to the Stout/Real Ale Toucan was to use Windsor (due to lower attenuation) in the hopes it may leave a little more sweetness that may balance all the IBUs from two pre-hopped cans.
The thing is I have such limited experience that I'm not even sure that is the correct way to think about things, am I just talking outta my arse....?
I guess one thing I am confident about is, the only way to get experience is to brew the bloody thing and see how it turns out.
Nottingham will be drier and bring out the malt more (am I right) ?
Windsor will be estery and sweeter ?
Definitely looking to be corrected if I'm way off the mark.....

This arvo I'm doing a couple of the mangrove jacks cider kits for the missus.
Still a couple weeks or more to think about the next brew after that....

dave doran said:
Ive had good results with the Wyeast 1084 Irish Ale yeast and the S04. Quite like the Wyeast strains at the moment so im leaning towards that.
I haven't done a toucan though and only used them for a single stout kit and extract recipe.
Ought to be more or less the same

I was considering s04. Once again, just going by what I've found in the toucan thread. I might go by way of Nottingham though if you're right sea eagle. Would like some malty goodness.

i'm trying to find out if i can use quick oats to make it an oatmeal stout. Do i need to mash them, do i need to 'toast' them in the oven, or should i just steep them like you would any crystal? looking at around 200-250g for a 23L stout/dark ale toucan

Think I might look at making an imperial,

Coopers Irish stout can
Dark LME can
Bump up with some dex 200g?
Fuggles 20 mins addition? Maybe 20g
S-04 full packet

Make batch to about 11-12 litres...

Haven't run this through the spreadsheet yet, but will do when I get home, thoughts?

Edit- yeast

damoninja said:
Thanks bud. I had read that thread a while ago when researching. I agree with Newtown clown's argument in that thread, that quick oats are chopped up rolled oats.
Good to know you have tried it and it worked okay for you. Looks like i'll be making stout soon with enough time for it to ripen for winter. Stout doesn't do it for me in summer.

Back