Stout and Fermenting issue on final gravity

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark_86

Reaction score
I’ll get straight to it. I’m new to home brewing and I think I might have got a little carried away with this last batch.
I’m a little worried about a stout that I have brewed and is in the fermenter. I made another about 2 months ago just using cans and some brown sugar. It turned out really well. So this time I thought I would play about bit as I wanted to get a bit of a chocolate flavour going on.
The problem I seem to be having is that it’s 5 days in and has seemed to have stopped fermenting. I got a little carried away with the sugars in the brew and ended up with a really high starting gravity (1.106). Although the gravity has dropped a fair bit there seems to be a fair bit of sugar left in it. It’s not sweet to taste but now reads 1.026.
I have taken the gravity over the past 3 days and got this same reading. The fermentation started off really well but calmed after the second.
I was wondering if there wasn’t enough yeast in the brew or did the alcohol kill it as it fermented. Also if the gravity isn’t going to drop will it still be ok to bottle and will it still condition in the bottles?

This is the recipe I used
1.7kg of coppers irish stout
1.5kg Amber malt unhoped
300g of brown sugar
250g maltedextrim
250g chocolate Kibble
200g Chocolate grain infusion pack from ESB

The starting gravity was 1.106
At the moment the gravity is 1.026 and has been 3 days

The temperature has averaged around 24 with highs of 28 and might of even hit a 30 while ive been at work.

Just at first glance, I doubt you really hit 1106 with those ingredients if it was around 20 L. If you had got that then you would have done well to get to 1026 with most yeasts.
With kit and extract brewing, you can often get unmixed/undiluted extract in the tube which will give a false reading.

In the wiki section there is an article called 'my beer is 1022. Can I bottle it?'
Contains tips and tricks for dealing with slow and stuck ferments.
5 days isn't much so patience first.
As an aside - temp is way too high for most yeasts to make decent beer. Next one - try fermenting around 18-20.

Agree, doubt you hit 1106 and ferment temps are too high. However strong stouts are forgiving. Manticle's advice is worth following.
Cheers

On 18 litres I calculate OG about 1.066 and FG at 1.022. Is it still at 1.026? if so could be ready to bottle.
Cheers

Yeah i have just tested the gravity and it is still the same. I was thinking of bottling tonight and using a tsp of brown sugar to prime the bottles.

Latest posts

Back