Storing Grains And Hops Without A Vacuum Sealer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kocken42

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I got some cracked grain yesterday, but didn't need to use all of it immediately and was worried about the storage of it as I read cracked grain only stays 'fresh' for about a fortnight. So I thought...'How can I get this grain sealed without a vacuum sealer?'

Easy, I just put the grain in a big zip-lock sandwich bag, put my syphoning pipe in the corner and sealed the rest of the bag as much as I could...and then went to town on the hose :p and pretty much sucked in as much air as I could until my eye's almost popped out and bust my poo-poo valve. I then quickly slipped the hose out and snapped the bag shut.

It sealed pretty good...

I wouldn't worry about it too much.
I've had cracked grain stored in snap locks which were in airtight plastic containers for over 6 months that still made great beers.
I didn't suck all the air out, just folded the bag, pressing the majority of the air out before sealing.

That said - fresher is always better.

I agree the grain should be fine for a couple of months at least. Main point is to keep it cool & dry, then it'll last a bit

Back