Storing Grain

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i had a rat running around the backyard for a while.

I hooked up my bags to my BIAB hoist (only had 3 at the time) so they were off the ground in the garage

even though rats can climb down the rope, if hes getting a free meal on me he has to work for it

I have had problems with Rats, mice etc, no bugs though. I have used many different types of storage from the 50l plasctic crates with lids, small wheelie bin etc. I was in the local hardware store for their grand opening the other day and I found this
tn_gallery_12339_1008_31721.jpg

It will fit approx 20 unopened bags of grain. I store around 8 bags of unopened grain and 6 opened bags in it. Size is 1600w x 800d x600h. Got it half price $145. It has an O ring seal around the lid and about 20 locks around it. Mrs LagerBomb was happy as it doesnt attract mice etc. One of my best brewing purchases yet.
Cheers
LagerBomb
Oh and mine is blue

Edit:bloody sausage fingers

edit; and you can flush the "sausage bags" with CO2 then crimp off at the top.

Bribie has dropped a golden nugget there. Living in North Queensland, I have trouble with weevils like you wouldn't believe. Those bastards get into everything in the pantry, and i've had them in my grain and chook feed. We (AHB collectively) produce awesome amounts of CO2 and give it away to the greenies for global warning scaremongering scot free- it will sit in your grain bins and retard pest growth as it's heavier then air. All you have to do is rig up a blow-off tube off your lattest brew and drive it down to the bottom of you grain bin until it's full.

It fixed my last (grain) weevil problem.
Cheers,
RB.

lael said:
I just bought about 15 of these for storing grain. Each one is 15L and takes 10kg of grain - 2.5 per bag.
Food grade - used to be vitamin pills. Washed them out and they are good as new.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Plastic-Bucket-with-handle-15lt-15litre-15ltr-FOOD-GRADE-with-LID-NEAR-NEW-/151062407039?pt=AU_Pet_Supplies&hash=item232c05677f

highly recommended bang for buck, stack nicely and the lid seals quite tightly. I'm not sure how it goes at keeping moisture out / in though.
They look ideal and a good price too. Pity they aren't in Melbourne though.

Hot tip.... The 5 and 10 Ltr containers made out of the same material as the bunnings fermenters do not prevent rats getting in! Went to brew yesterday and 5 of them that hold my spec grains had been eaten into! It's my own fault as I have the little bugger a taste of the goodness when I left a bag of Wey Pils out overnight and he got into it! I can also see chew marks all over my plastic garbage bins that hold the sacks!

Time to build a wooden chest to store all my grain! Has anyone had any issues with rats chewing through plywood????

Camo

Rats and mice love wood shavings for nesting, same as paper.

We used to have shit loads of nice when I worked at Petbarn eating into the dog kennel boxes and shaving up some wood and nesting. Suddenly you have another 10 little pinkies! The guy who owned snakes used to take em home for them

Perhaps get some unused 30 litre metal paint cans with the press on top. Rats will eat through wood if the desire is strong enough. Same with possums. Maybe get one of the metal storage boxes and then put your plastic drums in that.

I remember reading something on using peppermint oil or eucalyptus oil on some cotton wool balls. They hate the smell and stay away.

Not sure if this has been covered in this thread, or even if it belongs here, but what the heck, we are all friends, right guys?

I bought 200g milled grain a couple of months ago and haven't used it yet. It's still in the sealed bag it came in and has been kept in a dark crate in the house. Do you reckon it would still be fine to use, or do I turf it and buy some more.

Discuss.

Nullnvoid said:
Not sure if this has been covered in this thread, or even if it belongs here, but what the heck, we are all friends, right guys?

I bought 200g milled grain a couple of months ago and haven't used it yet. It's still in the sealed bag it came in and has been kept in a dark crate in the house. Do you reckon it would still be fine to use, or do I turf it and buy some more.

Discuss.
I would still use it. Its only been a few months and its been sealed.

Open it and taste some, if it taste fresh use it, if it taste stale turf it. As Truman said, it will probably be ok being sealed.

Latest posts

Back