Storing Grain

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thefatdoghead

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I just bought 4 sack's of grain and im wondering where the f*#k am going to store this. Probably an easy answer but for the grain i have now i bought these paint buckets 25ltr from a paint shop and they were about 15bucks each (air tight). I need something stackable because space is a problem. Im not to sure about the containers from bunnings (they are perfect) but they aren't air tight. I'll be keeping the grain for a while so im guessing air tight is the best. Im on the sunnycoast QLD. Anyone know where i can get some good cheap airtight containers for about 100 kilo of grain?

Hey guys,

I just bought 4 sack's of grain and im wondering where the f*#k am going to store this. Probably an easy answer but for the grain i have now i bought these paint buckets 25ltr from a paint shop and they were about 15bucks each (air tight). I need something stackable because space is a problem. Im not to sure about the containers from bunnings (they are perfect) but they aren't air tight. I'll be keeping the grain for a while so im guessing air tight is the best. Im on the sunnycoast QLD. Anyone know where i can get some good cheap airtight containers for about 100 kilo of grain?

Have a search on here there is already a few threads on this. I use a mixture leaving the grain in the original bags and platic zip tying the bags closed, and the 25L Handi Pals from Bunnings; 2 handi pals per 25kg bag are needed.

QldKev

Garbage bins / 100L tubs - no need to be airtight, the sacks have a plastic inner liner you can simply tie off.

and be wary of rodents - they won't let a little bit of plastic stand in the way of a meal.

The handi-pails from bunnings are my choice. Airtight and 2 per 25kg sack. Easy to stack and with only 12.5kg in each easy to pick up and move about as needed. I have considered the bigger bin style ones, but it'd be a pain to lift and stack 25kg at a time.

I didnt realise they had an inner plastic case. Good ill hit Bunnings when i get home. Cheers mates.

Hey guys,

I just bought 4 sack's of grain and im wondering where the f*#k am going to store this.

I went to my local baker. He had buckets that will hold around 10kg of grain that have a rubber seal inside the lid and they stack ok. I told him what they were for and he gave them to me for free.

The 60L fermenters fit a 25kg sack. Just line it with a heavy duty garbage bag to prevent any scratching to the fermenter. Stackable and of course can be used for double batch fermenting. Once the bags are less than half I move them into those plastic storage boxes from bunnings.

as lock has said, try the the baker and coles woolies, they have food grade buckets that are for free usualy. Though have paid an astonishing 2 dollars at a baker. Ask them for their fondant buckets. though mine dont have rubber seal...

Not really any problem with mice/rats here so plastic is fine:
grain_storage.jpg

The blue bins were used to import olives & pickles ($10 ebay), the white buckets were for fetta-cheese, all seal tightly with rubber seals.

I use a dead chest freezer and just leave the grain in the sacks.
We had a mice plague here this year and no problem keeping them out. No worry storage and free.

Cheers
Gavo

Mine stays in the original bags in the spare room.

you could also try take away food joints and pubs,they would have plenty of food grade plastic buckets they would be happy to see the back of ....cheers...spog...
I went to my local baker. He had buckets that will hold around 10kg of grain that have a rubber seal inside the lid and they stack ok. I told him what they were for and he gave them to me for free.

For anyone in Brisbane or near there is a guy in Greenbank who has everything from 10 litre pails to 230 litre tanks. Most interesting are the 25ltr drums (5 for $35) and the 100 litre drums for $35. The 100 litre drums have a spring loaded lid that closes super tight and an o-ring in the lid - should hold 2.5 sacks per drum. Nice big opening at the top, will be no problem getting access.

They contained vitamin pills, the dust is still there in the bottom - have only had one use. Andy is his name 0417191200. No affiliation, just went there and got a couple of the 100 litre drums.

grain_storage.jpg

The blue bins were used to import olives & pickles ($10 ebay), the white buckets were for fetta-cheese, all seal tightly with rubber seals.

I have a contact in Mlebourne who uses the blue bins for importing olives, and he sells them off at $10 each. I am after a couple so if anyone in interested, let me know.

R

I have a contact in Mlebourne who uses the blue bins for importing olives, and he sells them off at $10 each. I am after a couple so if anyone in interested, let me know.

R

I'd be keen. Cheers!

If he's the same guy from Ebay where I got mine from (who lives in Cranbourne), when I picked up some last week he said he had just sold close to 200 of them and there were less than a dozen left. :)

i picked up a 60 litre plastic wheelie bin today from the cheap shop,holds a 25kg bag perfectly.
$12.00 good as gold,am going to find an organic recipe for likely pest's so i can spray/wipe the repelant around the top to protect the grain,also a sachet of silica gel in a small piece of stocking taped to the under side of the lid to protect from moisture.
silica gel you will find in the boxes that fridges and tv's come in,try your'e local white goods shop,they might have some loose ones about.....cheers.....spog...

Wolfy said:
grain_storage.jpg

Anyone know if these are still available?

I am searching eBay for large storage containers, etc., but cannot find anything similar. They look ideal.

Latest posts

Back